|Academic Profile |
| || |
Assoc Prof Ng Yin Kwee
School of Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering
College of Engineering
Phone: (+65)6790 4455
- PGDipTHE Nanyang Technological University 1995
- PhD University of Cambridge 1992
- BEng(Hons) University of Newcastle Upon Tyne 1988
|Assoc. Professor in MAE; Snr. Hall Fellow. Ng obtained a B.Eng (CL I) from Uni. of Newcastle upon Tyne; Ph.D at Cambridge Univ. with a Cambridge Commonwealth Scholarship; PG Diploma in Teaching Higher Edu., NIE-NTU.
He published > 370 papers in SCI-IF int. journal (252); int. conf. proceedings (117), textbook chapters (81) and others (22) over the 22 years. Co-edited 10 books on “Cardiac Pumping and Perfusion Engineering” by WSP (2007); “Imaging and Modelling of Human Eye” by Artech (2008); “Distributed Diagnosis and Home Healthcare, v.1” by ASP (2009); “Performance Evaluation in Breast Imaging, Tumor Detection & Analysis” by ASP (2010); “Distributed Diagnosis and Home Healthcare, v.3” by ASP (2011); “Computational Analysis of Human eye with Applications” by WSP (2011); “Human Eye Imaging and Modeling” by CRC (2011); “Multimodality Breast Imaging” by SPIE (2013); “Image Analysis and Modeling in Ophthalmology”; “Ophthalmology Imaging and Applications” by CRC (2013, 2014). Also, he co-authored a text book: “Compressor Instability with Integral Methods” by Springer (2007).
He is the Editor-in-Chief for the ISI Journal of Mechanics in Medicine and Biology for dissemination of original research in all fields of mechanics in medicine and biology since 2000; Founding Editor-in-Chief for the ISI indexed Journal of Medical Imaging and Health Informatics; Strategy Assoc. Editor-in-Chief for World Journal of Clinical Oncology; associate editor of eight referred international journals including Int. J. of Rotating Machinery; Computational Fluid Dynamics J.; Chinese J. of Medicine; The Open Medical Informatics J.; J. of Biomedical Science and Engineering; The Open Numerical Methods J.; J. of Healthcare Engineering, and, guest editor for the Int. Journal of Computer Applications in Technology,Computational and Mathematical Methods in Medicine & Int. Journal of Medical Systems. His main area of research is thermal imaging, human physiology, biomedical engg; computational turbomachinery aerodynamics; micro-scale cooling problems; computational fluid dynamics & numerical heat transfer. His latest work on human eye biomechanics and burn injury thermal physics is being used in the space suits for intense thermal loading in planetary missions.
He is an invited keynotes speaker for more than 15 international scientific confs./workshops. He is active in offering consulting services & a fellow of SAF-NTU Academy. 15 of his papers have been adopted as references in Singapore Standard (SS 582: 2013) and ISO/IEC 80601-2-59: 2008. He is also presently serving as panel member for the Biomedical Standards Committee, Singapore.
The affable adjunct NUH scientist has a special interest in infrared (IR) physics & technology and has contributed greatly to research on IR, in particular on application of IR to biomedical sciences. The co-inventor of three USA patents on multiple analytical software classifier programs to identify the different stages of breast cancer development using thermal data with Lifeline’s First Warning TM system, he further explores the use of IR in the field of ophthalmology for early detection of health abnormality. He collaborates with fellow researchers from National Health Group Hospitals, also, Poland and USA so as to consistently achieve breakthrough such as concluding the possibility of using the Biofield Diagnostic System as a better objective assessment tool for complimentary breast cancer detection. Those 3 patents (with Lifeline Biotechnologies, Inc. NV) have attracted more than 10m USD from USA directly. This First Warning Systems are processed for the CE Mark currently & to be followed by clinical validation with FDA and market entry of the inventions in select European markets.
More details like the latest H-index, SCI-total citations are available in http://www.researcherid.com/rid/A-1375-20 & http://scholar.google.com.sg/citations?user=9QW1LYAAAAAJ
|His main area of research is thermal imaging, biomedical engineering; computational turbomachinery aerodynamics; marine sustainable energy problems; computational fluid dynamics & computational heat transfer such as laser modelling, bioheat transfer analysis. He is the: Adjunct National University Hospital Scientist; Editor-in-Chief for the J. of Mechanics in Medicine and Biology; J. Med. Imaging and Health Informatics (Founding EiC); and strategy Assoc. Editor-in-Chief for World J. of Clinical Oncology;
Assoc. Editor for Int. J. of Rotating Machinery; Computational Fluid Dynamics J. (CFDJ); Int. J. of Breast Cancer, Chinese J. of Medicine, Open Medical Informatics J., Open Numerical Methods J., J. of Healthcare Engg, J. of Scientific Conf. Proceedings, and J. of Bionano Science & many more; co-chairman for 15th Int. Conf. on Mechanics in Medicine and Biology (2006); co-chair of the working group on thermal imagers under Medical Technology Standards Committee by SPRING, Singapore (handling the international standardisation aspects for thermal imagers for ISO-IEC) etc.
- Llyod's Register Global Technology Centre Pte Ltd (2014-) [by Lloyd’s Register Global Technology Centre]
- NTU Internal Funding – Nanyang Institute of Technology in Health & Medicine (NITHM) (2016-) [by Nanyang Institute of Technology in Health and Medicine (NITHM)]
- Research Collaboration Agreement (2017-2018) [by Lita Ocean Pte. Ltd]
- Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) Study of C-130 External Aerodynamics Flow Field
- Coupled CFD and Depth Integrated Modelling of Marine Structures
- Development of A Coupled Simulation Methodology for Offshore Wind Turbines
- Development of a Floating Tidal Turbine System with Flow Enhancement Features
- Development of a mooring system numerical model for coupled floater motion analysis
- Integrated Wave Loads Analysis of Offshore Wind Turbine Platform Under Special and Complex Conditions
- Investigation of a non-invasive/minimally contact based gold method for diagnosis of cardiovascular disease: blockage (stenosis) and blood flow
- Optimal Structural Design of Wind Energy System
- Plantar Foot Thermography Patterns among Healthy People, Those with and Without Diabetic Sensory Neuropathy
- Probability Model for Ignition of Gas Ingested by a Gas Turbine
- Tan JH, Ng YK, Rajendra Udyavara Acharya, Chee C. (2009). Infrared Thermography on Ocular Surface Temperature: A Review. Infrared Physics and Technology, 52(4), 97-108.
- E. Y. K. Ng, D.H.M. Lim and F. Gao. (2009). Monitoring and Characterising of Hard Disk Drive Thermal Sources. Heat Transfer Engineering, 30(8), 649-660.
- Tan, JMY, Ng, E. Y-K., R Acharya U, Keith, L.G., and Holmes, J. (2009). Comparative Study on the use of Analytical Software to Identify the Different Stages of Breast Cancer using Discrete Temperature Data. Journal of Medical Systems, 33(2), 141-153.
- Ng Y.K. (2009). A Review of Thermography as Promising Non-invasive Detection Modality for Breast Tumour. International Journal of Thermal Sciences, 48(5), 849-855.
- Ng Y.K., Rajendra Acharya U. (2009). A Review of Remote-sensing Infrared Thermography for Indoor Mass Blind Fever Screening in Containing an Epidemic. IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Magazine, 28(1), 76-83.