|Prof Freddy Boey |
Deputy President, President's Office
Provost, President's Office
Deputy President and Provost
Office: ADM 06-04
- PhD National University of Singapore 1987
- BE(Hons) Monash University 1980
|Professor Freddy Boey is Provost at Nanyang Technological University (NTU). He was also previously the Chair of NTU’s School of Materials Science and Engineering from 2005 to 2010, during which time he built the school into one of the world’s largest and research intensive Materials Science & Engineering department.
Professor Boey’s key research contribution has been in the use of functional biomaterials for medical devices. A keen inventor, Professor Boey has founded several companies with his many patents to commercialize his cardiovascular, ocular and surgical implants. Some of his inventions, like the surgical tissue retractor, has been sold in the US, Europe, Japan, Middle East and India and the customizable hernia mesh, most recently approved for sale by the FDA.
He has published 344 top journal papers resulting in 7436 citations and H-index of 44. He has won more than S$36 million in research grants in the last three years, including a prestigious S$10 million individual National Research Foundation (NRF) Competitive Research Programme grant for his work on fully biodegradable cardiovascular implants, a S$20 million NRF Technion–Singapore grant for his research in nanomedicine for cardiovascular diseases and a S$1.25 million grant from the NRF Translational Flagship Project for his ocular devices research.
He has received the prestigious Faculty of Medicine Fellowship by Imperial College London in 2013 for his exceptional achievements in medical technology and his outstanding contributions to the development of the Lee Kong Chian School of Medicine. He was awarded Singapore’s Public Administration Medal (Silver) by the Government of Singapore in 2010. In November 2011, he received the Distinguished Alumni of the Year Award from Monash University at its 50th anniversary celebrations to recognize his achievements as a teacher, researcher and innovator, including his exceptional contributions to nanomedicine, as well as his volunteer work since his student days. In December 2011, he was also awarded, honoris causis, Doctor of Technology, by the Loughborough University in UK. He has also been conferred Honorary Professorship by the University of Indonesia and Nanjing Postal and Telecommunication University. He is also a founding Fellow of the Academy of Engineering Singapore and sits as Board Director in IPOS under the Ministry of Law and in the Defence Science Organisation under the Ministry of Defence.
The main effort is directed by the NRF CRP grant awarded to Prof Boey on "Fully Biodegradable Cardiovascular Implant". The research work involve cellular - biomaterials interface and interaction, synthesis of elastomeric biodegradable polymers and drug / peptide eluting implants for stents and "hole in the heart" PFO plugs. Another major effort, collaborating with the Singapore Eye Research Institute, involves development of drug eluting microspheres and film inserts for retina infections and macula degeration glaucoma.
The research work involve development of PZT pumps and frictionless micro-pumps as micropumps for cooling / heat exchange, and diabetes / pain management drug release etc. A start-up company has been formed to exploit this technology commercially.
Nanomaterials for Detection, Identification and Remediation:
The research work involve developing functionalized nanoparticles for toxins, disease causing biological agents and forensic applications, anisotropic nanoparticles for color enhancement and light harvesting.
|Research Grant |
- NRF CREATE (2009-)
- National Parks - NTU (2012-) [by National Parks Board]
|Current Projects |
- A new biodegradable, sustained-release drug delivery system in a rabbit model
- Biodegradable Cardiovascular Implants
- Biodegradable Cardiovascular Implants: Biodegradable Elastomers
- Biodegradable Cardiovascular Implants: Cell-Biomaterials Interactions II
- Biodegradable Cardiovascular Implants: Surface Functionalization for Cell Growth
- Development and application of sustained drug release technology for the delivery of nucleic acid molecules for the prevention of post-operative scarring in glaucoma
- Development of Specialised Container Technology For Growing Street Trees in Singapore
- Development of Specialised Structural Cells for Growing Street Trees in Constrained Planting Spaces
- Drug Delivery Systems for Glaucoma and Cornea
- Hemocompatible Surfaces for Implants(NTU-Technion Project)
- Novel Highly Ordered Heterojunction hybrid cell for solar energy harvesting
- PZT Cardiovascular Pump
- Photovoltaics Project
- Sports Science and Technology Centre Consultancy Study
- Stent Utilizing A Multilayer Biodegradable Coating to Provide Optimal Release Profile
- The Regenerative Medicine Initiative in Cardiac Restoration Therapy Research Programme
- Yingying Huang, Yee Shan Wong, Jumiati Wu, Jen Fong Kong, Jing Ni Chan, Laxmikant Khanolkar, Dasari P. Rao, Freddy Y.C. Boey, Subbu S. Venkatraman. (2014). The mechanical behavior and biocompatibility of polymer blends for Patent Ductus Arteriosus (PDA) occlusion device. Journal of mechanical behavior of biomedical materials. Journal of the Mechanical Behavior of Biomedical Materials, 36, 143-160.
- XU WEN NG, YINGYING HUANG, KERH LIN LIU, FREDDY Y. C. BOEY, SUBBU S. VENKATRAMAN. (2014). Investigation of cenderitide controlled release platforms for potential local treatment of cardiovascular pathology. Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, 103, 1400-1410.
- Weiyun Zhao, Hui Teng Tan, Li Ping Tan, Shufen Fan, Huey Hoon Hng, Yin Chiang Freddy Boey, Igor Beloborodov, Qingyu Yan. (2014). n-Type Carbon Nanotubes/Silver Telluride Nanohybrid Buckypaper with a High-Thermoelectric Figure of Merit. ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces, 6(7), 4940.
- Ling Bing Kong, Tao Li, Huey Hoon Hng, Freddy Boey, Tianshu Zhang, Sean Li. (2014). Waste Energy Harvesting Mechanical and Termal Energies..
- Xu Wen Ng, Yingying Huang, Subbu S Venkatraman and Freddy Boey. (2013). Controlled release of cardiovascular peptides from biodegradable patches. 25th European Conference on Biomaterials.