|Prof Sam Zhang Shanyong|
Division of Manufacturing Engineering
School of Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering
College of Engineering
Phone: (+65)6790 4400
- PhD University of Wisconsin-Madison 1991
- ME Central Iron & Steel Research Institute 1984
- BE Northeastern University, Shenyang 1982
|Professor Sam Zhang received his Ph.D. degree in Ceramics in 1991 from The University of Wisconsin-Madison, USA.
He is also an Honorary Professor of the Institute of Solid State Physics, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Guest Professor at Zhejiang University and Harbin Institute of Technology, Fellow of the Institute of Materials, Minerals and Mining, UK, featured in the first edition of Who's Who in Engineering Singapore (2007) and 26th edition of Who's Who in the World (2009). He has been frequently invited to present invited or plenary keynote lectures at international conferences in Japan, USA, France, Spain, Greece, Ireland, Portugal, New Zealand, Australia, India, Mainland China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, etc. He is also frequently invited by Singapore industries and other countries (USA, Portugal, China, and Malaysia) to conduct short courses and workshops.
Prof Zhang’s research interests include preparation and characterization of hard and yet tough ceramic nanocomposite coatings, functional thin films, biological coatings, drug deliveryfor and coatings for clean energy. He has recently published the following books: NANOCOMPOSITE THIN FILMS AND COATINGS : Processing, Properties and Performance, (ed), Imperial College Press, 2007; Materials Characterization Techniques , CRC Press, 2008. Books in the pipeline (ed): CRC Handbook of Nanocomposite Films and Coatings: Vol 1: Mechanical Properties; Vol 2: Functional Properties; Vol 3: Organic Nanostructured Film Devices and Coatings for Clean Energy (to publish in 2009); Prof Zhang has authored and co-authored more than 200 research papers. Some of his research papers frequently got into Elsevier TOP25 Hottest Articles. Details of Prof Zhang’s research are at his homepage: http://www.ntu.edu.sg/home/msyzhang
Prof Zhang also serves the Nanoscience and Nanotechnology Letters (NNL) as the Editor-in-Chief, Journal of Materials Research (JMR) as principal editor, among others.
|1. Nanocomposite coating of superior hardness in combination of superior toughness
2. Sol-Gel synthesis of hydroxyapatite coating on titanium alloys for biomedical applications.
3. Coatings for Clean Energy
|Research Grant |
- Academic Research Fund Tier 2 (2008-) [by MOE]
|Current Projects |
- Development of SBT thin films for nonvolatile memory application
- Sol-gel synthesis of ultra-high adhesion strength hydroxyapatite films for biological application
- Thin Films for Solar Energy
- XPS study of nanocomposite thin films
- Yibin Li,Sam Zhang, Y. Liu, T. P. Chen. (2009). Thirumany Sritharan and Cong Xu, Magnetron sputtered nc-Al/a-Al2O3 nanocomposite thin films for nonvolatile memory application. Journal of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, .
- Yibin Li, Sam Zhang, Thirumany Sritharan, Xiaodong He, Weidong Fei. (2009). Reduction of crystallization temperature of the Aurivillius phase in Nd-doped SrBi2Ta2O9 thin films via substrate bias. Thin Solid Films, 517, 2633?2637.
- Wali Zhang, Sam Zhang, Yang Liu, Tupei Chen. (2009). Evolution of Si Suboxides into Si Nanocrystals during Rapid Thermal Annealing as Revealed by XPS and Raman Studies,. Journal of Crystal Growth, 311, 1296?1301.
- Yanli Cai, Sam Zhang, Xianting Zeng, Yongsheng Wang, Min Qian,Wenjian Weng. (2009). Improvement of bioactivity with magnesium and fluorine ions incorporated hydroxyapatite coatings via sol-gel deposition on Ti6Al4V alloys. Thin Solid Films, .
- Jianhui WANG, Sam ZHANG, Jinmin ZHAO. (2009). Interfacial interaction between sputtered ß-Ta films and DLC with Ru intermediate layer. Journal of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, .