|Assoc Prof Chou Siaw Meng|
Division of Engineering Mechanics
School of Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering
College of Engineering
Phone: (+65)6790 4958
- PhD University of Strathclyde 1992
- BEng(Hons) University of Strathclyde 1988
|Assoc Prof Chou Siaw Meng is currently in the School of Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering. He received his Bachelor and Ph.D. degrees in Mechanical Engineering from the University of Strathclyde, Scotland, UK. His research interests include biomechanics and buckling of cold-formed thin-walled structures. He teaches "Mechanics of Materials" and "Biomechanics" to the undergraduate and M.Sc. (Biomedical Engineering) students. He has been involved in the training and organisation of Orthopaedic Biomechanics Course in conjunction with the Orthopaedic Advance Surgical Training Syllabus in Singapore since 1999. He is currently the director of the M.Sc. (Biomedical Engineering) Programme.|
|Assoc Prof Chou Siaw Meng's research interests include biomechanics and buckling of cold-formed thin-walled structures. His current research work includes biomechanics of the hand, bone, tendon, shoulder, spine, knee as well as design of medical devices (surgical instruments, implants, etc.).|
|Research Grant |
- Singapore Heart Foundation (SHF) (2012-)
|Current Projects |
- Development and validation of a prototype gleno-humeral joint global range of motion measuring rig
- K.S. Fok and S.M. Chou. (2009). Development of a finger biomechanical model and its considerations. Journal of Biomechanics, 43(4), 701-713.
- Q.H. Zhang, S.H. Tan and S.M. Chou. (2006). Effects of Bone Materials on the Screw Pullout Strength in Human Spine. Medical Engineering & Physics, 28, 795-801.
- B.H. Ng, Chou S.M., V Krishna. (2005). The influence of gripping techniques on the tensile properties of tendons. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers - Part H: Journal of Engineering in Medicine, 219(5), 349-354.
- B.H. Ng, S.M. Chou, B.H. Lim, A. Chong. (2005). The changes in the tensile properties of tendons after freeze storage in saline solution. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers - Part H: Journal of Engineering in Medicine, 219(6), 387-392.
- D.T.T. Lie, N. Gloria, A.A. Amis, B.P.H. Lee, S.J. Yeo, S.M. Chou. (2005). Patellar resection during total knee arthroplasty: effect on bone strain and fracture risk. Knee Surgery, Sports Traumatology and Arthroscopy, 13, 203-208.