|Assoc Prof Sunil Chandrakant Joshi |
Division of Aerospace Engineering
School of Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering
College of Engineering
Phone: (+65)6790 5954
- PhD Monash University 1999
- MTech Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay 1988
- BEng(Dist) Shivaji University 1986
|Dr. Sunil C. Joshi obtained his M. Tech. degree in Aeronautical Engineering with aircraft structures specialization. He received his Ph.D. degree from Monash University (Australia) for his work on composites manufacturing processes. Prior to that he was a Scientist at National Aerospace laboratories, Bangalore, India, where he was part of the composite structures group from 1988 to 1994.
He has been an academic staff in the School of MAE since 2000 and presently he is under the division of Aerospace Engineering. He is also a member of the micro-satellite development team at NTU and is serving as the team leader for the thermal controls sub-system.
His research interest are detailed below. He has published over 60 international conference and journal papers. He is often invited as reviewer for a number of premier journals, including Composites Science and Technology, Int Jr of Mechanics and Materials in Design, Int Jr of Manufacturing Research, Jr of Applied Polymer Science, and Composite A - Applied Science and Manufacturing. Dr. Joshi is a member of the Society of Plastics Engineers, The International Plastics Society, USA. He has also served the Society for Theoretical and Applied Mechanics, Singapore, as the Secretary and Treasurer.
|His research expertise emcompass - Process modelling for composites, Transition mechanisms in hydrogels, Composite repairs, and Thermal controls for micro-satellites.
The current and past research activities include -
** Numerical simulation and optimization of composites manufacturing processes:
- FE/NCV approach for heat and mass transfer simulation in fabrication assemblies for prepreg moulding,
resin transfer moulding, resin film infusion processes
- Modelling resin curing, mould filling, resin film infusion, polymer crystallization phenomena
- Simulation of pultrusion process for monolithic and sandwich panels
- Optimization of pultrusion parameters including resin shrinkage
** Polymer blends and thermo-sensitive hydrogels:
- Studies on rheological behaviour, shear heating in injection moulding
- Modelling of ceramic tape casting, polymer blends processing, demoulding
- Thermo-reversibility of physical hydrogels
- Simulation of gelation/ degelation of hydrogels
- Fluid uptake and drug release of HPMC tablets
** Design, analysis and testing of thermal controls for micro-satellites:
- Outgassing and surface characterization of thermal control coatings
- Thermal analysis of spacecrafts in orbit
- Modelling for thermal radiation properties of coated substrates
- Plasma-spray coatings
- Thermal vacuum and balance testing of micro-spacecrafts
- Qualification testing of spacecraft test appendages
** Fibre reinforced and other composites:
- Studies on delamination, composite repairs and joints
- Failure analysis of the aircraft tail sections, composite bridge deck sections
- Behaviour of woven composites and FMLs
- Hygrothermal testing of polymer composites
- Nano-engineered composites
|Research Grant |
- A*SERC Innovations in Remanufacturing Programme (2011-) [by A*STAR Science & Engineering Research Council (SERC)]
- A*STAR Science and Engineering Research Council (2011-) [by A*STAR Science & Engineering Research Council (SERC)]
- Defence Science Organisation National Laboratories (2011-) [by MINDEF - DSO National Laboratories]
- Defence Science and Technology Agency (2007-2013)
- Ministry of Defense (2008-) [by Ministry of Defense (MINDEF)]
- Ministry of Defense (2010-2013) [by Ministry of Defense (MINDEF)]
- Ministry of Defense (2012-)
|Current Projects |
- Aerogel-filled sandwich composites for thermal radiation and acoustic barrier applications
- Braided composite modelling - failure analysis and progressive damage prediction
- Capabilities Build-Up For Mini-UAV Technologies
- F-16 External Fuel Tank Pylon Strain Gauge Re-calibration capability development
- Integration of reinforced composite matrix system with liners for Rigid Composite Risers via Filament Winding processing technique
- Methodology for remanufacturing components subject to contact fatigue and wear
- Joshi, S.C., Chen, X. (2011). Time-Variant Simulation of Multi-Material Thermal Pultrusion. Applied Composite Materials, in press(in press), 1-14.
- Ali M., Joshi S.C.,. (2011). Impact Damage Resistance of CFRP Prepreg Laminates with Dispersed CSP Particles into Ply Interfaces. International Journal of Damage Mechanics, online(before print).
- Joshi Sunil C., Dikshit V. (2011). Enhancing Interlaminar Fracture Characteristics of Woven CFRP prepreg Composites through CNT dispersion. Journal of Composite Materials, JCM-10-0144.R1.
- Jin Zhanli, Sunil Chandrakant Joshi, Nesamani Gilbert Justin Jose, Chan Poh Keong, Ying Teck Mun, Paul, Goh Cher Hiang. (2010). Data Analysis and Correlation for Thermal Balance Test on a Micro-Satellite Model. Heat Transfer Engineering, 31(3), 222-233.
- Sunil C. JoshiB. Chen. (2009). Influence of surfactant properties on thermal behaviour and sol-gel transitions in surfactant-HPMC mixtures. Journal of Applied Polymer Science, 113(5), 2887-2893.