|Assoc Prof Ong Lin Seng|
Associate Chair (Graduate Studies), School of Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering
Deputy Head, Division of Engineering Mechanics
Division of Engineering Mechanics
School of Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering
College of Engineering
Phone: (+65)6790 6827
- PhD University of Strathclyde 1985
- BSc(Hons) University of Strathclyde 1982
|Dr. Ong is an Associate Professor with the School of Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering, Nanyang Technological University. since 1986. He received both Bachelor (1982) and Doctoral (1985) degrees in Mechanical Engineering from the University of Strathclyde, UK.
He has two core research expertises. The first is the applied optics for engineering and midical applications and the second is the failure analysis of pressure vessel components and piping. He has published over 70 journal and conference papers. Two of his papers has won the Best Paper award. More significantly, three of his papers have been included in API RP 579 - Fitness-for-service Code as standard references. Academically, he has won the Best Teacher of the Year award in 2001. He interacts well with industry and is active in offering short courses for industrial engineers. He is a Fellow Member (FIMechE) and registered Chartered Engineer (CEng) of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers.
|(1) Applied optics for engineering and medical applications
(2) Stress and failure analyses of pressure vessel and piping
(3) Fitness-for-service for aging components in petro-chemical industry
(4) Micro-particles sorting and manipulation with optical forces
(5) Creep damage of components operating in high temperature
|Research Grant |
- A*STAR Science and Engineering Research Council (2011-) [by A*STAR Science & Engineering Research Council (SERC)]
|Current Projects |
- Development of new generation of nasopharynoscope for assessing the upper airway in obstructive sleep apnoea
- Integration, Prototyping and Proof -of-Concept Testing of Composite Risers
- Y. Y. Sun, X.-C. Yuan*, L. S. Ong, J. Bu, S. W. Zhu and R. Liu. (2007). Large-scale optical-traps-on-a-chip for optical sorting. Applied Physics Letters, 90.
- Y. Y. Sun, J. Bu, L. S. Ong and X.-C. Yuan*,. (2007). Simultaneous optical trapping of microparticles in multiple planes by a modified self-imaging effect on a chip. Applied Physics Letters, 91.
- Y. Sun, J. Bu, L. S. Ong and X. Yuan*,. (2007). Transport and separation of microspheres with lensless imaging technique. SPIE Annual Meeting (pp. 6644-27).
- Sun Y. Y., Ong L.S., Yuan Xiaocong. (2006). Composite-microlens-array-enabled microfluidic sorting. Applied Physics Letters, 89(14).
- Ruan D, Lu G.X., Ong L.S., Wang B. (2006). Triaxial compression of aluminium foams. Composites Science and Technology, 67(6).