|Assoc Prof Ooi Kim Tiow |
Associate Chair (Academic), School of Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering
Division of Thermal and Fluids Engineering
School of Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering
College of Engineering
Phone: (+65)6790 5511
- PhD University of Strathclyde 1989
- BEng(Hons) University of Strathclyde 1986
|Dr Ooi Kim Tiow is an Associate Professor in Thermal and Fluids Division, School of Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore. He came to Singapore after obtaining PhD in Mechanical Engineering from University of Strathclyde, Scotland, U.K. in 1990. His research areas are mainly focused on refrigeration compressors and systems, as well as design and optimization of mechanical products. He has since been bestowed trice Teacher of the Year Award, and once The Nanyang Award for Excellence in Teaching. His research works have won a few international and national awards. He publishes widely in his research field and has been invited to be Editorial Board Member, Guest Editor and Reviewer of International Journals. He is also International advisory committee member and Chairman of Academic Committee of International Conferences in UK, Europe and China. He is the holders of six patents, a co-author of a book and chapters of encyclopedias. He is widely consulted by engineering companies on design and optimization of refrigeration compressors, design optimization and studies of mechanical products both locally and internationally. He is a member of American Society of Heating, air-conditioning and refrigerating Engineers.|
|Flow and heat transfer study of refrigeration system and cooling system, in particular the refrigeration compressor. Detail mathematical simualtion and measurement of compressor performance. Novel compressor design and performance improvement. Microchannel flow and heat transfer. Optimisation design of refrigeration components and systems.|
|Research Grant |
- Academic Research Fund Tier 1 (2008-) [by MOE]
- NRF Proof of Concept (2010-) [by National Research Foundation (NRF)]
- NRF Proof of Concept (2013-) [by National Research Foundation (NRF)]
- NRF TUM CREATE (2011-) [by National Research Foundation (NRF)]
- Nanyang Education Award (2013-) [by Nanyang Technological University]
|Current Projects |
- Development of a Highly Energy Efficient Revolving Vane Expander
- Development of a new gene gun
- Development of a novel and highly energy efficient compressor: towards a global scale energy saving and a step closer to the green environment
- Development of an Energy Efficient Expander Compressor Unit for Refrigeration Air-Con Systems
- Electromobility in Megacities - RP 7: E-Car Technology
- Inaugural Nanyang Education Award (College ) - 2013
- Tan KM, Ooi, K T. (2014). Experimental study of fixed-vane revolving vane compressor. Applied Thermal Engineering, 62(1), 207-214.
- Das, R; Ooi, K.T. (2013). Application of simulated annealing in a rectangular fin with variable heat transfer coefficient. Inverse Problems in Science & Engineering, .
- A Subiantoro, Ooi K T. (2013). Economic analysis of the application of expanders in medium scale air-conditioners with conventional refrigerants, R1234yf and CO2. International Journal of Refrigeration, 36(5).
- Kong, K.S.; Ooi, K.T. (2013). A numerical and experimental investigation on microscale heat transfer effect in the combined entry region in macro geometries. International Journal of Thermal Sciences, .
- Das, Ranjan and Ooi, KT. (2013). Predicting multiple combination of parameters for designing a porous fin subjected to a given temperature requirement. Energy Conversion and Management, 66, 211-219.