|Academic Profile |
| || |
Assoc Prof Leong Kai Choong
Associate Professor, School of Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering
Fellow, Renaissance Engineering Programme
Phone: +65 67905596
Office: N3 02C 71
|Professor Leong Kai Choong joined the then Nanyang Technological Institute (NTI) as a Lecturer in 1984 after working for several years as a mechanical engineer in the manufacturing and construction industry in Singapore. As Associate Professor in the School of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering (MAE) since 1991 and Fellow of the Renaissance Engineering Programme (REP) at the Nanyang Technological University (NTU) since 2011, he had served concurrently as Vice-Dean (Academic) from June 2002 to May 2006 and then as Associate Chair (Academic) from June 2006 to May 2008. Professor Leong’s research has focused on single- and two phase heat transfer as applied to the thermal management of electronic packages and the investigation of solid-gas adsorption cooling systems. He has been principal investigator and active co-investigator for many research projects funded by NTU and external funding agencies and has published more than 100 papers in refereed international journals, more than 70 papers in international conference proceedings and 5 book chapters. His h-index is 25 and total SCI citation counts as of 28 March 2019 are 4,124 and 3,976 (excluding self-citations).|
Professor Leong has served in a variety of positions in several professional societies. He was President of the American Society of Heating, Refrigerating, and Air-Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE) Singapore Chapter in 1994-1995. He is a Registered Professional Engineer (Mechanical) in Singapore and a Senior Member of the Institution of Engineers, Singapore.
Professor Leong enjoys teaching Heat Transfer to third year mechanical engineering and aerospace engineering students and the fundamentals of fluid mechanics, thermodynamics and heat transfer to first year students in the REP. He was voted by MAE students as the Year 3 Teacher-of-the-Year in 2010, 2011 and 2012.
|Single- and two-phase heat transfer (solidification, melting, boiling and condensation), 3D printing of cooling devices for the thermal management of electronic packages, Adsorption cooling systems.|
- A High Efficient Waste Heat Driven Quad-generation Plant
- Development of Metal Organic Frameworks for Heat Transmission Applications
- Energy efficiency and cost-effectiveness of cooling and thermal storage technologies for district cooling systems in Singapore
- Enhanced Thermal Energy Storage Using Topologically Optimised Structures and Novel Phase Change
- Enhancement of thermal Management Devices through Advanced/Additive Manufacturing Techniques
- Y.S. See, K.C. Leong. (2019). Experimental study of flow boiling of FC-72 in fractal-like flow channels. International Journal of Thermal Sciences, 140, 184 - 200.
- J.Y. Ho, K.C. Leong, T.N. Wong. (2019). Filmwise condensation of steam on sinusoidal pin fin arrays: Effects of fin height and fin pitch. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 130, 1004 - 1015.
- X.W. Wang, J.Y. Ho, K.C. Leong, T.N. Wong. (2018). Condensation heat transfer and pressure drop characteristics of R-134a in horizontal smooth tubes and enhanced tubes fabricated by Selective Laser Melting. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 126, Part A, 949-962.
- K.K. Wong, K.C. Leong. (2018). Saturated pool boiling enhancement using porous lattice structures produced by Selective Laser Melting. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 121, 46 - 63.
- X.W. Wang, J.Y. Ho, K.C. Leong. (2018). An experimental investigation of single droplet impact cooling on hot enhanced surfaces fabricated by selective laser melting. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 120, 625-670.
« Back to Research Directory