|Assoc Prof Chen I-Ming |
Director, Intelligent Systems Centre
Division of Mechatronics and Design
School of Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering
College of Engineering
Phone: (+65)6790 6203
- PhD California Institute of Technology 1994
- MS California Institute of Technology 1989
- BS National Taiwan University 1986
|Dr. Chen, Fellow of IEEE (Class of 2012) and Fellow of ASME, has been with the School of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering of Nanyang Technological University in Singapore since 1995. He is currently Director of Intelligent Systems Center in NTU, a partnership between Singapore Technology Engineering Ltd. and NTU. He was JSPS Visiting Scholar in Kyoto University in 1999 and Tokyo University in 2009, Visiting Scholar in the Department of Mechanical Engineering of MIT in 2004, and Fellow of Singapore-MIT Alliance under Innovation in Manufacturing Systems and Technology (IMST) Program (2002-2007). He was also Adjunct Professor of Xian Jiao Tong University, China (2002-2007). His research interests are in wearable sensors, human-robot interaction, reconfigurable automation, parallel kinematics machines (PKM), biomorphic underwater robots, and smart material based actuators. Dr. Chen has published more than 270 technical articles in refereed international journals and conferences and book chapters. He is now serving on the editorial board of Mechanism and Machine Theory, Robotica (Cambridge Univ Press), and Frontiers of Mechanical Engineering (Springer-Verlag). He was Associate Editor of IEEE Transactions on Robotics from 2006 to 2011 and Technical Editor of IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics from 2003 to 2009. He was General Chair of IEEE International Conference on Cybernetics, Intelligent Systems and Robotics, Automation and Mechatronics (CIS-RAM) 2006, Bangkok, Thailand and General Chair of 2009 IEEE/ASME International Conference on Advanced Intelligent Mechatronics (AIM’09) in Singapore 14-17 July 2009. He is now Chairman of IFToMM Technical Committee on Robotics and Mechatronics, and member of RoboCup Singapore National Committee. He had been Chairman of IEEE Robotics and Automation Society, Singapore Chapter from 2003-2005, Chairman of Prototyping for Robotics and Automation Technical Committee under IEEE Robotics and Automation Society (2003-2007), Council member of Singapore Industrial Automation Association (2001-2003), and Chairman of Singapore Committee for the Technologies of Machines and Mechanisms (SicToMM - country member of IFToMM) from 2001 to 2003. He will be the General Chairman of IFToMM ISRM 2013 in Singapore (Oct 2-4, 2013) and also General Chairman of IEEE ICRA 2017 in Singapore (May 8-12, 2017).|
|1) Mechatronics system design: cable-driven systems, biomorphic robots, entertainment robots;
2) Wearable sensors and haptic devices;
3) Body sensor network, wireless sensor network and sensor grid;
4) Reconfigurable automation;
5) Parallel kinematics machines (PKM);
6) Micro- and nano-manipulation systems;
7) Spherical actuators and smart material based actuators;
8) Robotic locomotion.
|Research Grant |
- A*STAR - Hungary National Office for Research and Technology Joint Grant Call (2010-2013) [by A*STAR Science & Engineering Research Council (SERC)]
- MDA-IDMPO (2012-) [by Media Development Authority (MDA)]
- NTU Internal Funding - Intelligent System Centre (-) [by Nanyang Technological University]
- NTU-NHG Innovation Seed Grant (2011-) [by Nanyang Technological University, National Health Group (NHG)]
- Rolls-Royce PIc (2012-) [by Rolls-Royce PIc]
- ST Engineering (2012-)
- Singapore Food Industries - NTU (2013-) [by Singapore Food Industries Pte Ltd]
- Singapore Heart Foundation (SHF) (2012-) [by Singapore Heart Foundation]
- Singapore Millenium Foundation (2012-) [by Singapore Millenium Foundation]
|Current Projects |
- Animatronic Avatar: Development of a Robotic Avatar for Telepresence Interaction and Communication
- Capture of Tacit Understanding for Robotic Environments(Capture)
- Cognitive Stroke Movement Therapy Systems through Integration of Wearable Haptic Interfaces
- Development of novel intelligent systems and sensor networks
- Intelligent Systems, Cyber-Physical Infrastructures and Human Assistive Technologies
- Reimagining Show & Tell: Child-manipulated Robotic Puppetry for Child-Centered Participatory Pedagogy in Early Childhood to Primary School education
- Remote Monitoring of Rehabilitation in Patients
- Robot assisted social skills therapy in Autism Spectrum Disorders
- System design and integration for retort tray meal automation
- The Use of Interactive Virtual Reality Exposure in the Treatment of Selective Mutism
- Validation Study of Inertial Measurement Unit (IMU) as a low-cost substitute for high-fidelity CPR-training manikins
- Variable-reluctance spherical motor for high-precision manipulation
- Teo, T. J., Chen, I-M., Yang, G., Lin, W. (2008). A Flexure-Based Electromagnetic Linear Actuator. Nanotechnology, 19, 315501-315510.
- Kwang Yong Lim, Young Koon Goh, Wei Dong, Kim Doang Nguyen, I-Ming Chen, Song Huat Yeo, Henry Been Lirn Duh, Chung Gon Kim. (2007). A Wearable, Self-Calibrating, Wireless Sensor Network for Body Motion Processing. 2008 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA 2008).
- Teo, T. J., Chen , I.-M., Yang, G., Lin, W. (2007). Magnetic Field Modeling of a Dual-magnet Configuration. Applied Physics A-Materials Science & Processing, 102.
- Yang, G. L., Chen, I.-M. (2006). Equi-volumatric Partition of Solid Spheres with Applications to Orientation Workspace Analysis of Robot Manipulators. IEEE Transactions on Robotics, 22(5), 869-879.
- Chen I.M., Tay R, Xing S, Yeo S.H. (2004). Marionette: From Traditional Manpulation to Robotic Manipulation. IEEE Robotics and Automation Magazine, 12(1), 59-74.