|Academic Profile |
| || |
Asst Prof Michael Thaddeus Tan Koon Boon
School of Art, Design and Media
College of Humanities, Arts, & Social Sciences
Phone: (+65)6316 8991
Office: ART 4-30
- MA (Photography & Urban Cultures) University of London, Goldsmiths Coll. 2006
- BFA Sch. of the Art Inst. of Chicago 2001
|Asst. Prof. Michael Tan joined the School of Art, Design and Media (ADM) in September 2007. He teaches in 4D Foundation Studies and Visual Communication. Using art and design practice as a starting point, his work seeks to link art and design to the field of social sciences, humanities and medical humanities. |
Prior to joining NTU, he served as a part time lecturer at LaSalle College of the Arts and at The National Institute of Education (NIE) where he taught a range of media art related courses in studio practice, theory and history. His reflexive approach towards his art and design practice contemplate on the role and implication of art/ design on the every day life of people.
He holds a Masters in Photography & Urban Cultures from Goldsmiths College, University of London and a Bachelor of Fine Arts from The School of the Art Institute of Chicago. He is also a recipient of the Singapore National Arts Council Postgraduate Scholarship (2012) and was awarded the Nanyang Award for Excellence in Teaching by NTU in 2011.
As a visual artist, he has exhibited widely in Singapore and internationally. And where an opportunity arises, he does occasionally venture into curatorial work.
|Areas of research Interest: |
Arts & Design, Health and wellbeing,
Cultural engagement, health and well-being (eg Museums, Health and Wellbeing)
Socially Engaged Art
Arts-based Social/ Health Research
Asst Prof Tan's research interest explores art and design practices in relation to health & Well-being, care, aging, and human flourishing. Informed by the notion of assemblages, he explores the role of creative practice in shaping culture of care in various care settings and the wider context of medical humanities, health communication and equality.
He is active in mapping arts and health practice locally and internationally, examining the roles and contributions of artists and designers operating in health and caring context or who are involved in socially engaged creative practices. He is also interested to explore methods to prepare artist and designer to undertake such endeavors and ways through which embodied processes can facilitate mindfulness in interpersonal interaction particularly in health and care context. As a practitioner in arts and health, he has designed and conducted art programs for the patients, staff and caregivers, in organization such as the Parkinson's Disease Society Singapore (PDSS), Singapore General Hospital, National University Hospital,Tan Tock Seng Hospital. He has previously partnered The Agency for Integrated Care in an exploratory study to examine the impact of art engagement on general wellbeing of residents at the participating nursing home.
His most recent art and health project is with the Alzheimer's Disease Association (ADA) where he developed a Art and Dementia project titled 'Let's have tea at the Museum'
- Art & design in healthcare: a pilot study on the significances and roles of art and design to improve the quality of life
- Shoes and social fabrics: Exploring the journeys and life-worlds of a pair of flip-flops
- Tan, Michael Koon Boon. (2014, November). Arts in healthcare - A human-centred art practice? Some conceptual considerations towards better practice for artist in care settings. Paper presented at 6th Annual International Arts and Health Conference, 11 – 13 November 2014, The National Gallery of Victoria, Melbourne, Australia.
- Tan, Michael K B. (2013, January). Expanding Culture of Care: Imagining Art, Care and Well-being. Paper presented at Up and Up: A Forum on Community Care, Singapore.
- Tan, Michael K B. (2012, November). More than just an activity: Learning, Bonding and self actualization with Creative Paper Clay for individuals affected by Parkinson's Disease,. Paper presented at 4th Annual International Arts and Health Conference, Notre Dame University, Fremantel, Australia.
- Tan, Michael K B. (2012, May). Expanding Culture of Care: Arts in Healthcare In Singapore. Paper presented at Society for the Arts in Healthcare 23rd Annual International Conference, Detriot, USA.
- Tan, Michael K B. (2011, November). Creative Paperclay and Parkinson’s Disease: Shaping Identities, Enriching Lives. Paper presented at 3rd Annual International Arts and Health Conference, Canberra, 14 - 17 November 2011, National Gallery of Australia.