|Prof Chua Chee Kai |
Chair, School of Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering
School of Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering
College of Engineering
Phone: (+65)6790 5486
- PhD Nanyang Technological University 1996
- MSc National University of Singapore 1989
- BEng(Hons) National University of Singapore 1985
|Dr Chua has been involved in Rapid Prototyping (RP) since 1990. On-going research at NTU include development of new systems and techniques in biomedical applications (prostheses, implants, devices and tissue scaffolds) using RP.
He has been invited as a keynote speaker to several international conferences to speak on the "Trends of Rapid Prototyping" and “Rapid Prototyping in Tissue Engineering”, and has sat on the International Programme Committee for more than 14 International Conferences devoted to RP and other manufacturing technologies. In addition, he has been widely consulted by industries on RP-related problems. He has contributed more than 200 technical papers in local seminars, technical talks, international conferences and journals, generating more than 1000 citations. He conducted the RP short course more than 45 times since 1991 for the industry in Singapore and abroad including the Wuhan Automotive University Polytechnic in China, and Thomson Multimedia, Maxtor Peripherals, Flexmech Engineering, Institute of Technical Education, SIMTech, OSIM, Tyco Electronics, Defence Science Organisation (DSO) and NUS High School of Mathematics and Science.
Dr Chua is the co-author of the book, entitled "Rapid Prototyping: Principles & Applications in Manufacturing" published by John Wiley & Sons in 1997 (http://www.worldscibooks.com/engineering/6665.html). A Chinese version was translated in 1998. The 2nd edition, “Rapid Prototyping: Principles & Applications” was published by World Scientific in 2003. The Chinese version for the 2nd edition was translated in 2005. The latest, 3rd edition of the same title, has just been published in January 2010 by World Scientific.
He is the Co-Editor-in-Chief of the Virtual and Physical Prototyping Journal, published by Taylor and Francis. He is a member of the editorial advisory board of the Rapid Prototyping Journal, the International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology and Journal of Materials Processing Technology. He has also reviewed more than 50 papers for more than 30 international journals and examined both Master and PhD theses for overseas universities. He has won 12 awards and 15 research fundings.
|Geometric Modelling, Rapid Prototyping, Additive Manufacturing, 3D Printing, Reverse Engineering, Biomedical Engineering Design, Tissue Engineering|
|Research Grant |
- A*STAR Science and Engineering Research Council - Public Sector Funding (2013-) [by A*STAR Science & Engineering Research Council (SERC)]
- Defence Science and Technology Agency (2012-) [by Ministry of Defense (MINDEF)]
- Economic Development Board (EDB) Grant (2011-) [by Economic Development Board (EDB)]
- NTU - SUTD Joint Programme (2013-) [by Nanyang Technological University]
- NTU Internal Funding (2013-) [by Nanyang Technological University]
- NTU Internal Funding - New Maritime Initiative (2011-) [by Nanyang Technological University]
- Temasek Lab@NTU Seed Project (2011-2013) [by Temasek Lab @ NTU]
|Current Projects |
- 3D Scaffold for cardiac tissue engineering via Additive Manufacturing
- Biofabrication of tissue engineerig scaffolds using polyjet inkjet technology
- Design and modeling of fast adaptable unmanned aerial vehicle using deployable structures
- Fabrication of tissue engineering scaffolds using indirect rapid prototyping techniques
- Institute for Sport Research
- NTU-SUTD joint lab in Visualization & Prototyping
- Naval Architecture And Marine Engineering
- Prototyping and additive manufacturing to support deployable unmanned aerial vehicle development
- Selective Laser Melting
- Seletive Laser Melting Of Titanium-based Alloys
- Solvent Free Fabrication of Synthetic Porous Membrane for Engineering Three Dimensional Organized Tissue
- Yeong WY, Chua C.K., Leong K.F., Chandrasekaran M. (2004). Rapid Prototyping in Tissue Engineering: Challenges and Potential. Trends in Biotechnology, 22(2), 643-652.
- Chua C.K., Leong K.F., Tan KH, Wiria FE, Cheah CM. (2004). Development of Tissue Scaffolds Using Selective Laser Sintering of Polyvinyl Alcohol/Hydroxyapatite Biocomposite for Craniofacial and Joint Defects. Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Medicine, 15(10), 1113-1121.
- Tan K. H., Chua C.K., Leong K.F., Cheah C. M., Cheang Hong Ning, Philip, Abu Bakar M. S. (2003). Scaffold Development Using Selective Laser Sintering of Polyetheretherketone/Hydroxyapatite (PEEK/HA) Composites. Biomaterials, 24(18), 3115-3123.
- Leong K.F., Cheah Chi Mun, Chua C.K. (2003). Solid Freeform Fabrication of Three-Dimensional Scaffolds for Engineering Replacement Tissues and Organ. Biomaterials, 24(13), 2363-2378.
- Yang S., Leong K.F., Du Z., Chua C.K. (2001). The Design of Scaffolds for Use in Tissue Engineering. Part 1. Traditional Factors. Tissue Engineering, 7(6), 679-689.