|Academic Profile |
| || |
Prof Chua Chee Kai
Executive Director, Singapore Centre for 3D Printing
School of Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering
College of Engineering
Phone: (+65)6790 4897
- PhD Nanyang Technological University 1996
- MSc National University of Singapore 1989
- BEng(Hons) National University of Singapore 1985
|Professor Chua Chee Kai is a distinguished Professor of Nanyang Technologic University, Singapore (NTU, Singapore) and the Executive Director of the Singapore Centre for 3D Printing (SC3DP). He is an active contributor to the additive manufacturing (AM) field for over 28 years. Dr Chua began his journey into AM in 1990. Now, his ongoing research at NTU Singapore are concerned mainly with powder bed fusion processes such as selective laser sintering and selective laser melting, bioprinting, 4D printing and food printing. He has made a number of major contributions in these areas. Specifically, his re-design and re-modeling of additive manufacturing processes for fabrication of innovative products and devices such tissue engineering scaffolds are highly regarded by the scientific community.|
In 2014, Dr Chua was elected as the top scientist in his research field of AM by Clarivate Analytics, and has maintained his position as one of the most cited scientists in AM since then. As at 2018, he has contributed more than 300 technical papers in local seminars, technical talks, international conferences and journals, generating more than 8800 citations and a H index of 47 (web of science).
He is also the co-author for four books, “3D Printing and Additive Manufactuing: Principles & Applications in Manufacturing (5th edition)”, "Bioprinting: Principles and Applications", “Standards, Quality Control and Measurement Sciences in 3D Printing and Additive Manufacturing” and “Lasers in 3D Printing and Manufacturing. He is also the chief editor of the International Journal of Bioprinting and co chief editor of the “Virtual and Physical Prototyping” international journal.
To date, he has amassed close to S$150 M of research grants, resulting in a number of big centres and labs. These are (1) the Singapore Centre for 3D Printing funded by National Research Foundation (2) NTU Additive Manufacturing Centre funded the Singapore's Economic Development Board (3) NTU-SIMTech Joint Lab in 3D AM (4) NTU-SUTD Joint Lab in Visualization and Prototyping (5) SLM Solutions @ SC3DP Joint Lab. He now heads a centre with 36 professors, 47 PhD students, 52 Masters students, 15 research staff and a support team of business development, administrative and technical staff. Another additional 100 PhD students will be recruited in the next 4 years.
|Powder bed fusion processes such as selective laser sintering and selective laser melting, bioprinting, 4D printing and food printing.|
- 3D Food Printing for Elderly and Patients with Chewing Difficulties and/or Dysphagia
- 3D Scaffold for cardiac tissue engineering via Additive Manufacturing
- ATMRI Administrations, Facilities and Operations
- ATMRI Projects
- Biofabrication of tissue engineerig scaffolds using polyjet inkjet technology
- Development Of Nanyang Additive Manufacturing CentreSub-Project 1 - Development GrantSub-Project 2 - Industry Research
- Development of Metal and Ceramic Knowledge Database in Selective Laser Manufacturing
- Fabrication of tissue engineering scaffolds using indirect rapid prototyping techniques
- Institute for Sport Research
- NTU-SUTD JOINT PROGRAMME
- Selective Laser Melting Of Titanium-based Alloys
- Singapore Centre For 3D Printing
- Singapore Centre for 3D Printing
- To Build On SC3DP's Existing Strengths And Competencies In3D Printing
- F Shen, S Yuan, CK Chua, K Zhou. (2018). Development of process efficiency maps for selective laser sintering of polymeric composite powders: Modeling and experimental testing. Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 254, 52-59.
- Sun ZJ, Tan XP, Tor SB, Chua CK. (2018). Simultaneously enhanced strength and ductility for 3D-printed stainless steel 316L by selective laser melting. NPG Asia Materials, 10, 127 - 136.
- SQ Yuan, Y Zheng, CK Chua, QY Yan, K Zhou. (2018). Electrical and Thermal Conductivities of MWCNT/Polymer Composites Fabricated by Selective Laser Sintering Composites Part A. Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing, 10, 203-213.
- Zhuang, P., Sun, A.X., An, J., Chua, C.K., Chew, S.Y. (2018). 3D neural tissue models: From spheroids to bioprinting. Biomaterials, 154, 113-133.
- YL Li, K Zhou, P Tan, SB Tor, CK Chua, KF Leong. (2018). Modeling temperature and residual stress fields in selective laser melting. International Journal of Mechanical Sciences, 136, 24-35.