|Prof Lua Aik Chong |
Acting Head, Division of Engineering Mechanics
Deputy Director, Maritime Institute @ NTU
Head, Division of Thermal and Fluids Engineering
Division of Thermal and Fluids Engineering
School of Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering
College of Engineering
Phone: (+65)6790 4366
- PhD University of Sheffield 1982
- BEng(Hons) University of Sheffield 1976
|Professor Lua Aik Chong is currently the Head of Thermal & Fluids Engineering Division, School of Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering. He obtained his BEng(Hons) and PhD degrees in Mechanical Engineering from the University of Sheffield, UK, in 1976 and 1982, respectively. In 2001, he was awarded the "Notable Mention, Asian Innovation Awards 2001" organized by the Far Eastern Economic Review, in recognition of his outstanding and innovative research in converting oil-palm-shell wastes into activated carbon adsorbents for air and water pollutants.|
|Professor Lua's areas of expertise are the development of activated carbons for adsorbing gaseous and aqueous pollutants and measurement of flow rates. His current research activities are the preparation and characterization of activated carbons, adsorption technology for air pollution and water filtration, development of polymeric membranes for gas separation, measurement of flow rates using fluidic flowmeters and measurements of particulates and gas emissions from diesel engines.|
|Research Grant |
- Economic Development Board (EDB) Grant (2010-) [by Economic Development Board (EDB)]
- NTU Internal Funding (2013-) [by Nanyang Technological University]
- Sembcorp Marine Lab Fund (2013-) [by Sembcorp Marine Ltd]
|Current Projects |
- Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering Professorships
- Prototype Electric Power Generator Using Integrated Fual Cells Coupled with On-Board-Ship Hydrogen Production By Thermocatalytic Decomposition of Methane
- Prototype electric power generator using integrated fuel cells coupled with on-board-ship hydrogen production by thermocatalytic decomposition of methane
- Q.P. Jia and A.C. Lua. (2008). Concentration-dependent branched pore kinetic model for aqueous phase adsorption. Chemical Engineering Journal, 136, 227-235.
- J. Guo, Y. Luo, A.C. Lua, R.A. Chi, Y.L. Chen, X.T. Bao and S.X. Xiang. (2007). Adsorption of hydrogen sulphide (H2S) by activated carbons derived from oil-palm shell. Carbon, 45(2), 330-336.
- A.C. Lua and Q.P. Jia. (2007). Adsorption of phenol by oil-palm-shell activated carbons. Adsorption, 13, 129-137.
- J.C Su and A.C. Lua. (2007). Effects of carbonisation atmosphere on the structural characteristics and transport properties of carbon membranes prepared from Kapton polyimide. Journal of Membrane Science, 305, 263-270.
- A.C. Lua and J.C. Su. (2006). Isothermal and nonisothermal pyrolysis kinetics of Kapton polyimide. Polymer Degradation and Stability, 91(1), 144-153.