|Prof Ling San|
Dean, College of Science
Division of Mathematical Sciences
School of Physical & Mathematical Sciences
College of Science
- PhD(Maths) University of California at Berkeley 1990
- MA University of Cambridge 1989
- BA(Hons) University of Cambridge 1985
|Ling San is Professor of Mathematical Sciences and Chair of the School of Physical & Mathematical Sciences at the Nanyang Technological University. He obtained his BA and MA from the University of Cambridge, and PhD from the University of California, Berkeley. He received the National Science Award (Team) in 2003 for his team’s accomplishments in the application of finite fields, algebra and number theory to coding theory, cryptography, and low discrepancy sequences. He also received the Singapore Youth Award (Science and Technology) 2001, for his achievements in modular curves and Galois representations. Since 2001, he has been the PI (or co-PI) of several research projects, totaling about S$13 million. Ling has published more than 60 journal papers, 20 refereed conference papers, a textbook and edited several conference proceedings. He is a series editor on coding and cryptography for World Scientific. He has recently served as program committee members or chairs for various conferences, and was recently appointed General Chair of Asiacrypt 2010.|
|1. Applications of algebra and number theory to combinatorial designs, coding theory, cryptography and sequences
2. Arithmetic of modular curves and Galois representations
|Research Grant |
- Academic Research Fund Tier 2 (2007-) [by MOE]
- Academic Research Fund Tier 2 (2008-)
- MERLION (2008-)
- NRF Competitive Research Program (2008-)
- Start Up Grant (2005-)
|Current Projects |
- Algebraic Approaches to Coding Theory and Related Topics
- Algebraic Curves over Finite Fields, Number Fields and Their Applications
- Codes and Secret Sharing Schemes
- Cryptographic Techniques for Secure and Fault-tolerant Distributed Computations
- Theory and Practice of Coding and Cryptography
- C.-N. Chen, N. Jacob, S. Kutzner, S. Ling, A. Poschmann & S. Saetang. (2012). Springer LNCS (Lecture Notes in Computer Science) - Advances in Information and Computer Security: Standardized signature algorithms on ultra-constrained 4-bit MCU. The 7th International Workshop on Security (IWSEC2012) (pp. 37 - 50)Springer-Verlag.
- Lei Wei, Thomas Peyrin, Przemyslaw Sokołowski, San Ling, Joseph Pieprzyk and Huaxiong Wang. (2012). FSE 2012: On the (In)Security of IDEA in Various Hashing Modes. Fast Software EncryptionLNCS: Springer.
- Nisha Jacob, Sirote Saetang, Chien-Ning Chen, Sebastian Kutzner, San Ling, Axel Poschmann. (2012). Feasibility and Practicability of Standardized Cryptography on 4-bit Micro Controllers. Selected Areas in Cryptography (pp. 184-201)Springer-Verlag.
- H. M. Kiah, K. H. Leung & S. Ling. (2012). A note on cyclic codes over GR(p2, m) of length pk. Designs Codes and Cryptography, 63(1), 105 - 112.
- M. F. Ezerman, S. Jitman, S. Ling. (2011). Proceedings of the 3rd International Castle Meeting on Coding Theory and Applications (3ICMCTA) 2011, Castell de Cardona, (Eds. Joaquim Borges, Mercè Villanueva): Pure Asymmetric Quantum MDS Codes from CSS Construction. 3rd International Castle Meeting on Coding Theory and Applications (3ICMCTA) 2011 (pp. 99 - 104).