|Assoc Prof Li Hua|
Division of Engineering Mechanics
School of Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering
College of Engineering
Phone: (+65)6790 4953
- PhD National University of Singapore 1999
- ME Wuhan University of Technology 1987
- BS Wuhan University of Technology 1982
|Dr. Li Hua received his B.Sc and M.Eng degrees in Engineering Mechanics from Wuhan University of Technology, P.R.C., in 1982 and 1987, respectively. He obtained his Ph.D degree in Mechanical Engineering from the National University of Singapore in 1999. From 2000 to 2001, Dr. Li was a Postdoctoral Associate at the Beckman Institute for Advanced Science and Technology, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. At the end of 2005, he was a Visiting Scientist (on invitation) at the Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering of Johns Hopkins University. From 2001 to 2006, he was a Research Scientist in the A*STAR Institute of High Performance Computing. Dr Li joined NTU as an Assistant Professor in June 2006 and he was promoted to Associate Professor in March 2013. He is currently in the School of Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering at NTU. His research interests include the multiphysics modelling of soft matters (smart hydrogel in bioMEMS and biological cell in microscale fields); development of highly efficient numerical computational methodology (meshless & multiscale algorithms); simulation of sustainable energy (building energy efficiency and fuel cell system); and dynamics (high-speed rotating shell and composite materials structure). He has sole-authored a monograph book entitled “Smart Hydrogel Modelling” published by Springer, co-authored two monograph books entitled “Meshless Methods and Their Numerical Properties” by CRC Press and “Rotating Shell Dynamics” by Elsevier, and 2 book chapters, one on MEMS simulation and the other on hydrogel drug delivery system modelling, and authored/co-authored over a hundred articles published in peer-reviewed international journals. He received the Silver Award in HPC Quest 2003 - The Blue Challenge presented by IBM & IHPC in 2003. He is also extensively funded by agencies and industry, including the principal investigator of a computational BioMEMS project awarded under A*STAR’s strategic research programme in MEMS.|
|Dr. Li Hua's area of expertise is computational science and engineering. His current research works focus on the multiphysics modelling of soft matters (smart hydrogel in BioMEMS and biological cell in micro scale fields), development of highly efficient numerical computational methodology (meshless & multiscale algorithms), simulation of sustainable energy (building energy efficiency and fuel cell system), and dynamics (high-speed rotating shell and composite materials structure).|
|Research Grant |
- A*STAR-MND Green Building Joint Grant Call (2012-) [by Ministry of National Development (MND), A*STAR Science & Engineering Research Council (SERC)]
- Housing and Development Board - NTU (2011-) [by Housing & Development Board]
- JTC Corporation - NTU (2012-2013) [by Jurong Town Corp]
- Maritime Clean Energy Research Programme (MCERP) (2012-) [by Maritime and Port Authority of Singapore (MPA), Nanyang Technological University]
- NRF Competitive Research Program (2012-) [by National Research Foundation (NRF)]
- NTU Internal Funding - College of Engineering (2010-) [by Nanyang Technological University]
- NTU Internal Funding - Energy Research Institute@NTU (2010-)
|Current Projects |
- Development of a Simulation Tool for Design and Analysis of Energy efficiency of buildings in Singapore
- Development of a User-Friendly Evaluation Tool for Design and Analysis of Building Energy Efficiency
- Development of a computational-based modelling platform for bioparticle manipulation
- Development of advanced grid and parallel computing frameworks for highly efficient numerical techniques
- HVAC Visual Analytics For Overall Performance Evaluation
- High Performance Cool Roof Coating for Green Buildings
- Investigation of Cargo Heating Systems Based on a Zero-Order Model and a Fast-Algorithm Optimization Strategy
- Modelling & Simulations of BioMEMS Manipulation of Cell/Bioparticle
- Multiscale Materials Modelling
- Scientific Planning Support for Developing Sustainable Buildings Using Cleantech Two as Pilot Project
- Study of Cool Roof Materials for HDB Buildings
- Sun Grid Engine Testbed
- Using Cool (High Albedo) Building Pavement Surfaces as a strategic measure for energy saving and reduction of heat island effect in Singapore
- Hua Li, Gang Ma. (2010). Modeling performance of a two-dimensional capsule in a microchannel flow: Long-term lateral migration. Physical Review E, 82(2), 026304-(1~14).
- Hua Li, Fukun Lai. (2010). Multiphysics modeling of responsive characteristics of ionic-strength-sensitive hydrogel. Biomedical Microdevices, 12(3), 419–434.
- Rongmo Luo, Hua Li, Khin Yong Lam. (2009). Modelling the effect of environmental solution pH on the mechanical characteristics of glucose-sensitive hydrogels. Biomaterials, 30, 690-700.
- Hua Li. (2009). Kinetics of smart hydrogels responding to electric field: A transient deformation analysis. International Journal of Solids and Structures, 46(6), 1326-1333.
- Hua Li, Fukun Lai, Rongmo Luo. (2009). Analysis of responsive characteristics of ionic-strength-sensitive hydrogel with consideration of effect of equilibrium constant by a chemo-electro-mechanical model. Langmuir, 25(22), 13142–13150.