|Assoc Prof Kwok Kian Woon Anthony |
Associate Provost (Student Life), President's Office
Division of Sociology
School of Humanities and Social Sciences
College of Humanities, Arts, & Social Sciences
Office: ADM 03-05/HSS-05-50
- PhD University of California, Berkeley 1992
- MA University of California, Berkeley 1984
- BSocSc(Hons) National University of Singapore 1981
- BA National University of Singapore 1980
|KWOK Kian-Woon (Ph.D, University of California at Berkeley) is currently Associate Provost (Student Life). He served in the leadership of the School of Humanities and Social Sciences since its inception, first as a member of the Task Force for the establishment of the School (2003) and then as Vice-Dean (2004-2007) and as Head of the Sociology Division (since 2004) and Associate Chair (Academic) from 2007 to 2011.
He was a member of the Blue Ribbon Commission on Undergraduate Education (2007-2008) and a co-author of its report, which serves as a guide for changes in undergraduate education at NTU. He served as the first Chair of the NTU Senate from August 2008 to October 2010. He has been Chair of the new NTU Museum Committee since September 2008 and Advisor of the Centre for Asian Art and Design since January 2011. In March 2010, he was nominated by the Ministry of Education and appointed by NTU to serve as a member of the Study Group on Social Integration in the Autonomous Universities.
His teaching and research interests relate to the historical and comparative understanding of modern social transformation and contemporary social change. Specific areas include the following: Social and Political Theory; Qualitative Social Research; Social Memory; Culture and Cultural Policy (Arts, Heritage & Creative Cities); Singapore Studies; Mental Health and Illness, and Higher Education in Southeast Asia. He served as a member of the National Mental Health Sub-Committee on Research (2005-2006) and was Visiting Scientist at the Institute of Mental Health (2007-2008), and is currently a co-principal investigator in the Singapore Mental Health Study – a national baseline study on patterns of mental illness in the country. His publications include numerous co-edited books, journal articles and book chapters on Singapore society, the Chinese Overseas, cultural policy, social memory, and mental health. His co-edited book (with Roxana Waterson), Contestations of Memory in Southeast Asia, is published by NUS Press (2011).
He has served as an External Examiner for various universities and as a consultant for UNESCO, the International Development Research Centre, and the Ministry of Community, Youth and Sports (Singapore). He was a Fellow in the Asia Leadership Program in Japan in 1996 and a recipient of the Fulbright Research Grant at Harvard University in 1998. He has been actively involved in civil society and the public sector, including as Honorary Chairman, National Archives of Singapore, Past President, Singapore Heritage Society, Member of the National Heritage Board and the Singapore Art Museum Board, Member of the Steering Committee on the National Art Gallery (and Chair of its Museological Advisory Group during its first phase of development), Co-Chairman of the Steering Committee for the Singapore Biennale 2006 and Member of the Arts Advisory Panel, National Arts Council since April 2010. He is also a member of the Institute of Policy Studies Academic Panel, National University of Singapore (2009-2012).
|Social and Political Theory; Qualitative Social Research; Social Memory; Comparative Cultural Policy (Arts, Heritage & Creative Cities); Singapore Studies; Mental Health and Illness; and Higher Education in Southeast Asia|
|Current Projects |
- Singapore Mental Health Study
- Subramaniam M, Vaingankar J, Heng D, Kwok KW, Lim YW, Yap M, Chong SA. (2012). ‘The Singapore Mental Health Study: An Overview of the Methodology’. International Journal of Methods in Psychiatric Research, E-Pub.
- Subramaniam M, Vaingankar J, Heng D, Kwok Kian Woon, Lim YW, Yap M, Chong SA. (2012). The Singapore Mental Health Study: An Overview of the Methodology. International Journal of Methods in Psychiatric Research, (EPub Feb 13).
- Vaingankar JA, Subramaniam M, Lim YW, Sherbourne C, Luo N, Ryan G, Phua A, Shahwan S, Kwok KW, Brown J, Bradley M, Orlando Edelen M, Chong SA. (2012). ‘From Well-being to Positive Mental Health: Conceptualization and Qualitative Development of an Instrument in Singapore’. Quality of Life Research, E-Pub.
- Waterson, Roxana and Kwok Kian Woon. (2012). INTRODUCTION (chapter)Contestations of Memory in Southeast Asia. (pp. 1-11)..
- Waterson, Roxana and Kwok Kian Woon. (2012). ‘The Work of Memory and the Unfinished Past: Deepening and Widening the Study of Memory in Southeast Asia’Contestations of Memory in Southeast Asia. (pp. 17-50)..