|Asst Prof Chow Kin Kee |
Division of Communication Engineering
School of Electrical & Electronic Engineering
College of Engineering
Phone: (+65)6790 5380
- PhD (ElectEng) The Chinese University of Hong Kong 2003
- MPhil (ElectEng) The Chinese University of Hong Kong 2000
- BEng (ElectEng) The Chinese University of Hong Kong 1998
|Dr. K. K. Chow received his B.Eng., M.Phil., and Ph.D. degrees from Department of Electronic Engineering, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong on 1998, 2000, and 2003, respectively, specialized in nonlinear optics for optical communication applications. He stayed in the same department as a postdoctoral fellow and started working on highly-nonlinear photonic crystal fibers (PCFs). From 2005, Dr. Chow has been with Research Center for Advanced Science and Technology (RCAST), The University of Tokyo, Japan as a visiting researcher. In 2006 he was awarded the Japanese Government funded Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS) research fellowship and stayed in the same laboratory, involving the design and applications of highly-nonlinear bismuth-oxide PCF (Bi-PCF). Later on he has taken up a Research Fellow position of Department of Electrical Engineering and Information Systems of the same university to investigate the practical communication applications based on nonlinear effects generated in single-walled carbon nanotubes (CNTs). In 2010, Dr. Chow joined the School of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Nanyang Technological University as an Assistant Professor.|
Since 1999, K. K. has over 60 publications in top-tied international referred journals and conferences. He is an invited speaker of Optical Fiber Communication Conference (OFC) 2008, International Conference on the Optical Internet (COIN) 2006, ASI Photonics Frontiers 2004, and co-authored several invited conference papers. Dr. Chow is the recipient of 2004 Young Scientist Award from the Hong Kong Institute of Science, and received twice the outstanding tutor award in 2002 and 2000 from Department of Electronic Engineering, The Chinese University of Hong Kong. Dr. Chow is a senior member of IEEE.
|Optical Fiber Communications, nonlinear optics, carbon nanotube photonics, photonic crystal fibers, supercontinuum generation|
|Research Grant |
- Academic Research Fund Tier 1 (2011-2014) [by Nanyang Technological University]
- MINDEF-NTU Joint Applied R&D Co-operation Programme (JPP) (2013-2014) [by Nanyang Technological University, Ministry of Defense (MINDEF)]
- Start Up Grant (2010-2013) [by Nanyang Technological University]
|Current Projects |
- Development of Wavelength-Selectable High Average Power Super-Continuum Source
- Nonlinear Optical Properties of Carbon Nanotubes and Their Applications
- Novel Devices for Optical Communications Applications
- H. H. Liu, K. K. Chow, S. Yamashita, and S. Y. Set. (2012). Carbon-Nanotube-Based Passively Q-Switched Fiber Laser for High Energy Pulse Generation. Optics and Laser Technology, .
- K. K. Chow. (2012). High average power super-continuum generation using 1-μm noise burst and highly-nonlinear photonic crystal fibre. Electron. Lett, .
- H. H. Liu, C. C. Yap, D. Tan, K. K. Chow, and B. K. Tay. (2011). Direct Synthesis of Vertically Aligned Carbon Nanotubes for Fiber-based Devices. The Conference on Lasers and Electro-Optics (CLEO) Pacific Rim, Sydney, Australia.
- H. H. Liu, K. K. Chow, S. Yamashita, and S. Y. Set. (2011). High Energy Pulse Generation using a Carbon-nanotube-deposited Fiber Device. Opto-Electronics and Communications Conference (OECC), Kaohsiung, Taiwan.
- K. K. Chow, S. Yamashita, and S. Y. Set. (2010). Four-wave-mixing-based wavelength conversion using a single-walled carbon-nanotubedeposited planar lightwave circuit waveguide. Optics Letters, 35(12), 2070.