|Asst Prof Yuan Junsong|
Nanyang Assistant Professor (NTU)
Division of Information Engineering
School of Electrical & Electronic Engineering
College of Engineering
Phone: (+65)6790 4016
- PhD Northwestern University 2009
- MEng (Elect & CompEng) National University of Singapore 2005
- BEng (CommEng) Huazhong Univ of Science & Technology 2002
|Junsong Yuan joined NTU as a Nanyang Assistant Professor in Aug. 2009. He is currently the program director of video analytics at School of EEE, NTU. He received Ph.D. from Northwestern University, USA and M.Eng. from National University of Singapore. Before that, he graduated from the special program for the gifted young in Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan, P.R.China. Dr. Yuan’s research interests include computer vision, video analytics and mining, human computer interaction, biomedical image analysis, etc. Since Aug. 2009, he has been the PI or Joint-PI of over S$4.3M research grants, sponsored by Singapore Ministry of Education (MoE), Media Development Authority (MDA), Infocomm Development Authority (IDA), National Research Foundation (NRF), Defence Science Organisation (DSO) National Labs, Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS), Microsoft Research Redmond, USA, and Nanyang Technological University. |
Dr. Yuan has published over 100 technical papers in journals and international conferences in computer vision, image processing, multimedia, and data mining. He co-chairs workshops at IEEE Conf. Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR'12'13) and IEEE Conf. on Computer Vision (ICCV'13). He is area chair of IEEE Winter Conf. on Computer Vision (WACV'14), Asian Conf. on Computer Vision (ACCV'14), and IEEE Conf. on Multimedia Expo (ICME'14). He is also the organization co-chair of Asian Conf. on Computer Vision (ACCV'14). He gives tutorials at IEEE ICIP'13, FG'13, ICME'12, SIGGRAPH VRCAI'12, and PCM'12.
He received Nanyang Assistant Professorship and Tan Chin Tuan Exchange Fellowship from Nanyang Technological University, Outstanding EECS Ph.D. Thesis award from Northwestern University, Best Doctoral Spotlight Award from IEEE Conf. Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition Conference (CVPR'09), and National Outstanding Student from Ministry of Education, P.R.China. He has filed three US patents and two provisional US patents.
|Computer vision, video analytics, human computer interaction, multimedia search and data mining, biomedical image analysis|
|Research Grant |
- Defence Science Organisation National Laboratories (2012-2013) [by MINDEF - DSO National Laboratories]
- IDA Grant Call on Cloud Computing (2013-2013) [by Infocomm Development Authority (IDA)]
- IDM R&D Programme (2012-2017) [by Media Development Authority (MDA)]
- Institute for Media Innovation Grant (2012-2014) [by Institute for Media Innovation]
- Japan Society for the Promotion of Science - NUS Joint Research Projects (2012-2014) [by Nanyang Technological University]
- NTU Internal Funding - IMI - MDA IDMPO Award for BeingThere Centre (2012-2014) [by Nanyang Technological University]
- NTU Internal Funding - Start Up Grant - Nanyang Assistant Professorship (2009-2014)
|Current Projects |
- Abnormal Video Event Detection for Traffic Safety
- Autonomous Virtual Humans and Social Robot For Telepresence
- Cognitive Approach for Activity Learning
- Hand Gesture Recognition via Depth Sensor
- Integrating A User Within A Group or A Crowd Using Computer Vision and Synthetic Vision
- Media Processing
- Mining Image and Video Data
- Perceptual Image Processing and Evaluation.
- Real-time Object Retrieval in Large-scale Video Data
- Zhou Ren, Junsong Yuan, Jingjing Meng and Zhengyou Zhang. (2013). Robust Part-based Hand Gesture Recognition using Kinect Sensor. IEEE Transactions on Multimedia, in press.
- Zhou Ren, Junsong Yuan, and Wenyu Liu. (2013). Minimum Near-Convex Shape Decomposition. IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, in press.
- Yang Cong, Junsong Yuan, and Ji Liu. (2013). Abnormal Event Detection in Crowded Scenes using Sparse Representation. Pattern Recognition, 46(7), 1851-1864.
- Junsong Yuan, Gangqiang Zhao, et. al. (2012). Discovering Thematic Objects in Images Collections and Videos. IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, 21(4), 2207-2219.
- Junsong Yuan, Zicheng Liu and Ying Wu. (2011). Discriminative Video Pattern Search for Eﬃcient Action Detection. IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, 33(9), 1728-1743.