|Academic Profile |
| || |
Assoc Prof Yuan Junsong
School of Electrical & Electronic Engineering
College of Engineering
Phone: (+65)6790 4016
- PhD Northwestern University 2009
- MEng (Elect & CompEng) National University of Singapore 2005
- BEng (CommEng) Huazhong University of Sci & Tech 2002
|Junsong Yuan joined NTU as a Nanyang Assistant Professor in Aug. 2009. He is currently the program director of video analytics at School of EEE, NTU. He received Ph.D. from Northwestern University, USA and M.Eng. from National University of Singapore. Before that, he graduated from the special program for the gifted young in Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan, P.R.China. Dr. Yuan’s research interests include computer vision, video analytics, large-scale visual search and mining, human computer interaction, biomedical image analysis, etc. Since Aug. 2009, he has been the PI or Joint-PI of over S$6.5M research grants, sponsored by Singapore Ministry of Education (MoE), Media Development Authority (MDA), Infocomm Development Authority (IDA), National Research Foundation (NRF), Defence Science Organisation (DSO) National Labs, Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS), Microsoft, Adobe, Omron, and Nanyang Technological University.
Dr. Yuan has published over 150 technical papers in journals and international conferences in computer vision, image processing, multimedia, and data mining. He co-chairs workshops at SIGGRAPH Asia'14, IEEE Conf. Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR'12'13) and IEEE Conf. on Computer Vision (ICCV'13). He is area chair of IEEE Winter Conf. on Computer Vision (WACV'14), Asian Conf. on Computer Vision (ACCV'14), and IEEE Conf. on Multimedia Expo (ICME'14). He is also the program co-chair of IEEE Conf. on Visual Communication and Image Processing (VCIP'15), and organization co-chair of ACCV'14. He serves as guest editor for International Journal of Computer Vision (IJCV), and associate editor of IEEE Trans. on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology (T-CSVT) and The Visual Computer (TVC) Journal.
He received Nanyang Assistant Professorship and Tan Chin Tuan Exchange Fellowship from Nanyang Technological University, Outstanding EECS Ph.D. Thesis award from Northwestern University, Doctoral Spotlight Award from IEEE Conf. Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition Conference (CVPR'09), and National Outstanding Student from Ministry of Education, P.R.China. He has filed several patents, with technology licensed by industry. He is a senior member of IEEE, and elected member of IEEE Multimedia System and Applications Technical Committee, and Visual Signal Processing and Communications Technical Committee. He gives tutorials at ACCV'14, ICIP'13, FG'13, ICME'12, SIGGRAPH VRCAI'12, and PCM'12.
|Computer vision, video analytics, human computer interaction, multimedia search and data mining, biomedical image analysis|
- Academic Research Fund Tier 1 (2014-2017) [by Nanyang Technological University]
- Academic Research Fund Tier 2 (2016-2019) [by Ministry of Education (MOE)]
- Adobe Research (2014-2017) [by Adobe Research]
- Adobe Research (2014-2018) [by Adobe Research]
- Advanced Digital Sciences Center (2016-) [by Advanced Digital Sciences Center]
- Defence Science Organisation National Laboratories (2016-2018) [by MINDEF - DSO National Laboratories]
- FSTD – TL@NTU (2015-) [by Defence Research and Technology Office (DRTech)]
- Japan Society for the Promotion of Science - NUS Joint Research Projects (2012-2016) [by Nanyang Technological University]
- MDA-IDM (2012-2017) [by Media Development Authority (MDA)]
- NRF Competitive Research Program (2014-2019) [by National Research Foundation (NRF)]
- ST Engineering-NTU Corporate Laboratory (2015-2020) [by National Research Foundation (NRF), Nanyang Technological University, ST Kinetics Ltd]
- ST Engineering-NTU Corporate Laboratory (2015-2020) [by ST Dynamics Pte Ltd , Nanyang Technological University, National Research Foundation (NRF)]
- (2015-2018) [by Omron Corporation]
- A Vision-based Solution for Egocentric Hand Motion Analysis on Wearable Devices
- Abnormal Video Event Detection for Traffic Safety
- Autonomous Virtual Humans and Social Robot For Telepresence
- Cognitive Approach for Activity Learning
- Computational Multi-Layer Displays (Programme Title: Towards The Reality of 3D Imaging and Display: Development of the World's First Viable Glasses-free Television System)
- Discriminative Action States Discovery for Online Activity Recognition
- Exploring Visual Relevance to Construct a Holistic Picture of Online News
- General Object Recognition by Big Data Retrieval
- Hand Gesture Recognition via Depth Sensor
- Media Processing
- Real Time Automated Analysis of Soccer Videos
- Scene Understanding Through Bottom-up and Top-down Processing
- Sensor Fusion Frameworks for Objects Classification, Terrain Classification and Localization
- Video Object Discovery
- Video Object Discovery and Search
- Video Object Segmentation
- Du Tran, Junsong Yuan, David Forsyth. (2014). Video Event Detection: From Subvolume Localization to Spatiotemporal Path Search. IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, 36(2), 404-416.
- Zhou Ren, Junsong Yuan, and Wenyu Liu. (2013). Minimum Near-Convex Shape Decomposition. IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, in press.
- Yang Cong, Junsong Yuan, and Ji Liu. (2013). Abnormal Event Detection in Crowded Scenes using Sparse Representation. Pattern Recognition, 46(7), 1851-1864.
- Junsong Yuan, Gangqiang Zhao, et. al. (2012). Discovering Thematic Objects in Images Collections and Videos. IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, 21(4), 2207-2219.
- Junsong Yuan, Zicheng Liu and Ying Wu. (2011). Discriminative Video Pattern Search for Eﬃcient Action Detection. IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, 33(9), 1728-1743.