|Asst Prof Zhou Jianrong |
Nanyang Assistant Professor (NRF)
Division of Chemistry & Biological Chemistry
School of Physical & Mathematical Sciences
College of Science
- PhD (Organic Chemistry) Massachusetts Institute of Technology 2005
- MSc (Organic Chemistry) National University of Singapore 2000
- BSc (Chemistry) (Hons) 1st Class National University of Singapore 1998
- BSc (Chemistry & Biochemistry) National University of Singapore 1997
|Born in Zhejiang, China. Birth day: 12 Sept, 1975. B.Sc. in chemistry and biochemistry, NUS, 1997; B.Sc. with 1st-class honors in chemistry, NUS, 1998; M.Sc. in organic chemistry, NUS, 2000 (with Prof. Teckpeng Loh); Ph.D. in organic chemistry, MIT, 2005 (with Prof. Gregory C. Fu); post-doc training in organic and organometallic chemistry, Yale, 2005-2006 and UIUC, 2006-2008 (with Prof. John F. Hartwig)|
|My research programs will be focused to devise efficient and practical ways to access important chiral building blocks from cheap, readily available feedstock chemicals. The importance of this quest is underscored by over $ 200 billion sales of chiral drugs, projected for 2008. Despite tremendous advances in asymmetric catalysis, preparation of several key building blocks still needs much improvement. My research programs will specifically target these classes of compounds, e.g., epoxides, alkyl amines, alkyl alcohols, carbocycles, and heterocycles. I am also interested in the synthesis of fluorinated arenes and heteroarenes, due to their frequent occurrence in both pharmaceuticals and agrochemicals. To achieve these goals, my group will be engaged in the design and synthesis of both transition metal and organic catalysts, method development and mechanistic investigations.
My other interests include: general-purpose, organic platforms for both structural and functional modeling of metalloenzyme active sites; new designs of organic polymers and oligomers for solar energy harvesting and conversion.
|Research Grant |
- NRF Research Fellowship (2008-2013)
- NTU-JSPS Joint Research Project (2011-)
- National Medical Research Council (2009-)
- Start Up Grant (2008-2013)
|Current Projects |
- (a) Asymmetric Catalytic [4+1] Cycloadditions between Dienes and Carbene Precursors; (b) Annulation Reactions of Epoxides and Olefins
- Asymmetric Catalytic [4+1] Cycloadditions between Dienes and Carbene Precursors
- Recent Advances in Organic Synthesis
- To Win the War Against H1N1 Influenza A: Breaking Through the Limitations of Significant Side Effects and Resistance of Current Anti-Flu Drugs
- J. Zhou, J. F. Hartwig. (2008). Intermolecular, Catalytic Asymmetric Hydroamination of Bicyclic Alkenes and Dienes in High Yield and Enantioselectivity. J. Am. Chem. Soc., 130, ASAP.
- J. Zhou, J. F. Hartwig. (2008). Iridium-Catalyzed H/D Exchange at Vinyl Groups without Olefin Isomerization. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed., 47, 5783-5787.