|I am a structural geologist with a focus on earthquake hazards. I have studied geophysical problems ranging in scale from the hazards of particular faults to the construction of the Tibetan Plateau. I incorporate a wide range of datasets in my research, including seismic reflection data (either from the oil and gas industry or personally acquired), well logs, surface geology, rupture maps, and relocated aftershocks. I use quantitative fault-related folding techniques to interpret these data and develop realistic geometric and kinematic 3D fault models. |
I received my BS from Caltech in 2005 and my PhD from Harvard University in 2011, where I worked on active faults in Sichuan Province, China and Southern California. I joined the faculty at NTU in 2012. My group is currently working on a range of research problems, including active-source imaging of the Main Frontal Thrust, Nepal; interpreting seismic velocities and faulting in the fold-and-thrust belt in eastern Bangladesh; the expected geodetic signal above large-scale regional décollements systems; and the structural geology and seismic patterns in the Nepal Himalaya.
BS (2005, geology, with honors) - California Institute of Technology
PhD (2011, geology, advisor: John H. Shaw) - Harvard University
- Xin Wang, Shengji Wei, Yu Wang, Phyo Maung Maung, Judith Hubbard, Paramesh Banerjee, Bor‐Shouh Huang, Kyaw Moe Oo, Thomas Bodin, Anna Foster, Rafael Almeida. (2018). A 3‐D Shear Wave Velocity Model for Myanmar Region. Journal of Geophysical Research-Solid Earth, .
- Zhigang Li, Peizhen Zhang, Wenjun Zheng, Dong Jia, Judith Hubbard, Rafael Almeida, Chuang Sun, Xuhua Shi, Tao Li. (2018). Oblique thrusting and strain partitioning in the Longmen Shan fold-and-thrust belt, eastern Tibetan Plateau. Journal of Geophysical research, .
- Rafael V. Almeida, Judith Hubbard, Lee Liberty, Anna Foster, Soma Nathapkota. (2018). Seismic imaging of the Main Frontal Thrust in Nepal reveals a shallow décollement and blind thrusting. Earth and Planetary Science Letters , .
- Rafael Almeida, Eric O. Lindsey, Kyle Bradley, Judith Hubbard, Rishav Mallick, and Emma M. Hill. (2018). Can the Up-Dip Limit of Frictional Locking on Megathrusts be Detected Geodetically? Quantifying the Effect of Stress Shadows on Near-Trench Coupling.. Geophysical Research Letters, .
- Zhigang Li, Jing Liu-Zeng, Rafael Almeida, Judith Hubbard, Chuang Sun, Guixi Yi. (2017). Re-evaluating seismic hazard along the southern Longmen Shan China, Insights from the 1970 Dayi and 2013 Lushan earthquakes. Tectonophysics, 717, 519-530.