|Asst Prof Yeo Puay Hwa Jesvin |
School of Art, Design and Media
College of Humanities, Arts, & Social Sciences
Phone: (+65)6513 8050
Office: ART 3-1
- MA (Design Studies) U.of the Arts Lond,Central Saint Martins 2004
- BA (Design) Curtin University of Technology 2000
|Prof Jesvin Yeo is currently in the School of Art, Design and Media, she joined as an Assistant Professor of Visual Communication in 2007. She graduated from Central Saint Martins College of Art and Design in London and worked in the creative industries for large MNC advertising agencies such as the Publicis Group, Young & Rubicam, and Ogilvy & Mather in London and Singapore before becoming a professor and researcher. As a researcher, Jesvin's main research areas are in Asian material culture, visual research and knowledge visualization. Her work focuses on the details of design and the processes involved in delivering messages in context, particularly through book design and typography in 3D and digital forms. Jesvin has presented and published her works at several international conferences, international journals and graphic design books, such as Siggraph Asia, ISEA, ACM digital journals etc. She has also exhibited her creative works internationally, including 798 Art District in Beijing, Museum of Design in Atlanta, and the Museum of Contemporary Art in Washington.|
|Theoretical and practical influences on creative concept development in the design-visual communication process|
Interdisciplinary Creativity; Art & Design in everyday life; Design Trends and Forecasts; Designers as Entrepreneurs
Typography Design; Experimental Typography; Pangram; Book Design; Isotype
Sustainable Design; Inclusive Packaging Design; Innovative Packaging Design; Corporate Identity and Branding System;
Visual Research – Material Culture; Asian Cultural Identity
Digital Media; Radio-frequency identification; Wireless
Personal interests: Singapore: Learning more about the culture, the history, and the people.
|Research Grant |
- Academic Research Fund Tier 1 (2008-)
- Academic Research Fund Tier 1 (2012-)
- Academic Research Fund Tier 1 (2013-)
- Start Up Grant (2014-)
|Current Projects |
- An empirical study to investigate the disconnection between researched theory and creative practice in Visual Communication research projects in an Asian context
- Beyond Typography: Experiments in Form to investigate how far the qualities of typography can be pushed and still retain its meaning.
- Designing Cultures: An Ethnographic Study of Visual Communication of the Traditional Artisans
- Designing Cultures: An Experimental Study of Asian Heritage and Visual Communication to Shape Multiple Understandings of Place and Identity
- Designing Cultures: An ethnographic study of visual communication of the traditional artisans
- Yeo, J. P. (2013). An overview of research methods in visual communication design education. International Journal of Design Creativity & Innovation, 3, 1 - 12.
- Yeo, J. P. (2013). Design Learning for Tomorrow: A phenomenographic pilot study of students’ conceptions of design research. DRS//CUMULUS Oslo 2013 (pp. 1078-1088)Oslo, Norway: ABM-media AS.
- Yeo, J. P. (2013, April). Modular typeface design inspired by John Baskerville. Paper presented at John Baskerville: art, industry & the technology of the Enlightenment, The Woodbrooke Quaker Study Centre, Birmingham, UK.
- Yeo, J. P. (2013, March). Investigating the possibility of exploiting devices or materials in inclusive packaging design. Paper presented at Seventh International Conference on Design Principles and Practices, Chiba University, Chiba, Japan.
- Yeo, J. P. (2013). A review: research in art and design education. Academic Research International, 3(3), 303-312.