|Academic Profile |
| || |
Asst Prof Yeo Puay Hwa Jesvin
School of Art, Design and Media
College of Humanities, Arts, & Social Sciences
Phone: (+65)6513 8050
Office: ART 3-1
- MA (Design Studies) U.of the Arts Lond,Central Saint Martins 2004
- BA (Design) Curtin University of Technology 2000
|Prof Jesvin Yeo is currently an Assistant Professor of Visual Communication in the School of Art, Design and Media. She graduated from Central Saint Martins College of Art and Design in London, United Kingdom. Prior to joining Nanyang Technological University, Jesvin worked for large MNC advertising agencies such as the Publicis Group, Young & Rubicam and Ogilvy & Mather in Singapore and London.|
Jesvin serves as a Vice Chair at Singapore Society of Asian Studies, as well as an advisory member of the CE Advisory Committee at Nanyang Academy of Fine Arts, Singapore. Jesvin is one of the organizers of Women in Photography Symposium 2014 and is active in the Association for Computing Machinery (ACM), serving as the Chair (Poster) and a committee member in Special Interest Group on the Design of Communication (SIGDOC) Conferences. Jesvin also served as an associate editor of six international journals on Design Education, Design in Society, Design Principles & Practices, Book Design, Arts in Society and Humanities.
Jesvin’s work has been published internationally, including journal articles, conference papers and art books, in the areas of Singapore cultures, typography and book design. Her work has also been exhibited at galleries and Museums in Berlin, London, Washington D.C., Atlanta, Tokyo, Hong Kong and Beijing. Among other international design awards she received are the Red Dot Award (Communication Design), A’ Design Award, How International Design Awards and iF Communication Design Award.
|Theoretical and practical influences on creative concept development in the design-visual communication process|
Interdisciplinary Creativity; Art & Design in everyday life; Design Trends and Forecasts; Designers as Entrepreneurs
Typography Design; Experimental Typography; Pangram; Book Design; Isotype
Sustainable Design; Inclusive Packaging Design; Innovative Packaging Design; Corporate Identity and Branding System;
Visual Research – Material Culture; Asian Cultural Identity
Digital Media; Radio-frequency identification; Wireless
Personal interests: Singapore: Learning more about the culture, the history, and the people.
- Academic Research Fund Tier 1 (2013-)
- Start Up Grant (2014-)
- An empirical study to investigate the disconnection between researched theory and creative practice in Visual Communication research projects in an Asian context
- Beyond Typography: Experiments in Form to investigate how far the qualities of typography can be pushed and still retain its meaning.
- Designing Cultures: An Ethnographic Study of Visual Communication of the Traditional Artisans
- Designing Cultures: An Experimental Study of Asian Heritage and Visual Communication to Shape Multiple Understandings of Place and Identity
- Designing Cultures: An ethnographic study of visual communication of the traditional artisans
- Yeo, J. P. (2013). An overview of research methods in visual communication design education. International Journal of Design Creativity & Innovation, 3, 1 - 12.
- Yeo, J. P. (2013). Design Learning for Tomorrow: A phenomenographic pilot study of students’ conceptions of design research. DRS//CUMULUS Oslo 2013 (pp. 1078-1088)Oslo, Norway: ABM-media AS.
- Yeo, J. P. (2013, April). Modular typeface design inspired by John Baskerville. Paper presented at John Baskerville: art, industry & the technology of the Enlightenment, The Woodbrooke Quaker Study Centre, Birmingham, UK.
- Yeo, J. P. (2013, March). Investigating the possibility of exploiting devices or materials in inclusive packaging design. Paper presented at Seventh International Conference on Design Principles and Practices, Chiba University, Chiba, Japan.
- Yeo, J. P. (2013). A review: research in art and design education. Academic Research International, 3(3), 303-312.