|Asst Prof Tsang Wai Hung, Ivor|
Division of Software & Information Systems
School of Computer Engineering
College of Engineering
Phone: (+65)6790 4587
- PhD(CompSc & Engrg) Hong Kong Uni. of Science and Technology 2007
- MPhil(CompSc) Hong Kong U. of Science and Technology 2003
- BEng(CompSc) Hong Kong U. of Science and Technology 2001
|Dr Ivor W Tsang is an Assistant Professor in the School of Computer Engineering of Nanyang Technological University (NTU) since 2008. He is also the Deputy Director of the Centre for Computational Intelligence of NTU. He received his Ph.D. degree in Computer Science from the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) in 2007. Dr Tsang's scientific interests include machine learning, support vector machines, kernel methods, very high dimensional feature selection, large scale optimization, and their applications to data mining and pattern recognitions. He has more than 100 research papers published in referred international journals and conference proceedings, including Journal of Machine Learning Research (JMLR), IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks and Learning Systems (TNNLS), IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence (TPAMI), Neural Computation, Advances in Neural Information Processing Systems (NIPS), International Conference on Machine Learning (ICML), Conference on Uncertainty in Artificial Intelligence (UAI), International Conference on Artificial Intelligence and Statistics (AISTATS), International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence (IJCAI), ACM SIGKDD Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining conference (KDD), International Conference on Computer Vision (ICCV), IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR), etc.|
In 2009 Dr Tsang was conferred the 2008 Natural Science Award (Class II) by Ministry of Education, China, which recognizes his contributions to kernel methods. Besides this, he received the prestigious IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks Outstanding 2004 Paper Award in 2006. His co-authored paper concerning transfer learning for visual event recognition won the Best Student Paper Award at the 23rd IEEE Computer Society Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR 2010). His co-authored work on outlier detection clinched the Best Paper Award at the 23rd IEEE International Conference on Tools with Artificial Intelligence (ICTAI 2011). His work on speech adaptation earned him the Best Paper Award from the IEEE Hong Kong Chapter of Signal Processing Postgraduate Forum in 2006. He was also awarded the Microsoft Fellowship in 2005, and the HKUST Honor Outstanding Student in 2001.
|Prof Wai-Hung Tsang's areas of expertise are very high dimensional machine learning, data mining, and large scale optimization and numerical methods. His current research works focus on kernel methods, support vector machines, feature selection, clustering, semi-supervised learning, transfer learning, and multiple instance learning, and their applications in Internet vision, computer vision, multimedia retrieval, text mining, information extraction and pattern recognition.|
|Research Grant |
- A*STAR (2010-)
- A*STAR Science and Engineering Research Council - Thematic Strategic Research Programme in Future Data Centre Technologies (2011-)
- Academic Research Fund Tier 1 (2009-)
- Start Up Grant (2008-)
|Current Projects |
- Extensions of Core Vector Machines
- Large Scale Hybrid Storage System
- Next Generation Annotation Techniques for Consumer Photos and Videos
- Towards Automatic template Extraction with Minimal Human Supervision
- Transferable Kernel Machines: Knowledge Integration, Extraction and Transfer
- User and Domain-Driven Analytics as a Service Framework
- Jianbo Yang* and Ivor W. Tsang. (2011). Hierarchical Maximum Margin Learning for Multi-Class Classification. The 27th Conference on Uncertainty in Artificial Intelligence (UAI).
- Jinfeng Zhuang*, Ivor W Tsang, Steven C.H. Hoi. (2011). A Family of Simple Non-Parametric Kernel Learning Algorithms from Pairwise Constraints. Journal of Machine Learning Research, 12(1), 1313−1347.
- Lixin Duan*, Dong Xu, Ivor W. Tsang, Jiebo Luo. (2010). IEEE Computer Society Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition: Visual Event Recognition in Videos by Learning from Web Data.IEEE.
- Mingkui Tan*, Li Wang*, Ivor W. Tsang. (2010). International Conference on Machine Learning (ICML): Learning Sparse SVM for Feature Selection on Very High Dimensional Datasets.ACM.
- I. W. Tsang, J. T. Kwok, P. Cheung. (2005). Core vector machines: Fast SVM training on very large data sets. Journal of Machine Learning Research, 6, 363-392.