|Assoc Prof Long Shi Ruey, Joey |
School of Humanities and Social Sciences
College of Humanities, Arts, & Social Sciences
- PhD (Hist) University of Cambridge 2006
- MA (Hist) Nanyang Technological University 1998
- BA (Hist) (Hons) National University of Singapore 1996
- BA (Hist & Math) National University of Singapore 1995
|S.R. Joey Long is Assistant Professor of History at the School of Humanities and Social Sciences, Nanyang Technological University (NTU). He received his Ph.D. in History from the University of Cambridge in 2006. After teaching History and International Relations at NTU’s S. Rajaratnam School of International Studies for a number of years, he joined the university’s History Group in 2011. He is the author of Safe for Decolonization: The Eisenhower Administration, Britain, and Singapore (Kent State University Press, 2011), and his research on the history of American foreign relations, the history of Singapore, and Asian and international security have been published in journals such as Asia Policy, Contemporary Southeast Asia, Diplomatic History, European Journal of International Relations, Journal of Southeast Asian Studies, Rethinking History, South East Asia Research, and a number of edited volumes. Awards he has received include a Fulbright Grant and the Lawrence Gelfand-Armin Rappaport Fellowship from the Society for Historians of American Foreign Relations. In 2010, he was a History and Public Policy Scholar at the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars in Washington, DC. Currently, he serves as the coordinator of the History Group at NTU.|
|My research interests are in the history of the Cold War in Southeast Asia, the history of Singapore, and the history of U.S. relations with Southeast Asia.|
|Research Grant |
|Current Projects |
- Cooperative Partners: A Study of the Development of Singapore-United States Cultural, Diplomatic, Economic, and Strategic Relations from the 1970s to the end of the Cold War
- S.R. Joey Long. (2013). Exploiting the Cold War: Southeast Asia and American Power. Society for Historians of American Foreign Relations Annual Conference.
- S.R. Joey Long. (2013, March). Playing the System: Southeast Asia, the Cold War, and American Power. Paper presented at Association for Asian Studies Annual Conference, San Diego, CA, USA.
- S.R. Joey Long. (2012). Singapore: HistoryRegional Surveys of the World: The Far East and Australasia 2013. (pp. 1091-1099). United Kingdom: Routledge.
- S.R. Joey Long. (2012, December). American Military Interventionism. Paper presented at Waseda Global Asia Seminar, Waseda University, Tokyo, Japan.
- S.R. Joey Long. (2012). H-Diplo/ISSF Roundtable Review of Natasha Hamilton-Hart, Hard Interests, Soft Illusions: Southeast Asia and American Power [Review of the book H-Diplo/ISSF Roundtable Review of Natasha Hamilton-Hart, Hard Interests, Soft Illusions: Southeast Asia and American Power] H-Diplo/ISSF Roundtable Review, 4 (8), 10-13.