|Asst Prof Ina Conradi Chavez|
School of Art, Design and Media
College of Humanities, Arts, & Social Sciences
Phone: (+65)6513 8055
Office: ART 4-32
- MFA (Art) University of California, Los Angeles 1989
- BA (Textile Painting) University of Arts in Belgrade 1986
|Ina Conradi Chavez ( born Serbia/Slovenia, USA citizenshi)|
Ina’s research interests are in new media art investigations through art form that redefines the wide spectrum of what painting can be. Her explorations define the new pictorial experiences that translate traditional physical act of painting into variable media spaces, innovatively employing digital animation, VFX, and most recently stereography. The new ‘paintings’ are often “unframed” and experienced as infinitely expanding within the virtual immersive platforms such as the panoramic 320 curved multi-channel projection space at the NTU’s Institute for Media Innovation, or are “reframed” back into theatre screen, to be again infinitely lopped into staged cine-installation for physical architectural gallery space.
Her first animated experimental animation “Dreams” won Prize of Effort for the “10th DigiCon6″ Computer Graphic Animation Competition in 2008, after being screened at the National Museum Singapore as a part of a large theatre performance. She had solo exhibits in GalleryGallery Kyoto, Post- Museum Singapore, group exhibit at Krannert Art Museum University of Illinois.
Her films have been screened internationally at the festivals such as Ars Electronica Festival Deep Space, Brooklyn Film Festival New York, Anima Mundi Festival Brazil, 3D stereo Dimension 3 Festival Paris, Attakkalari India Biennial Bangalore India. Her latest research proposal is about exploring new cinematic forms for commercially produced digital full dome movies, featuring film visual effects, cultural heritage documentation and scientific visualization.
Her latest proposal is about exploring new cinematic forms for commercially produced digital full dome movies, featuring film visual effects, cultural heritage documentation and scientific visualization.
Ina is born in Serbia. She holds MFA in Arts from UCLA. She has been teaching at the California State University Long Beach and LASALLE College of the Arts, Singapore. Since 2007 she has been Assistant Professor at Nanyang Technological University, School of Art, Design and Media. Ina is a member of Singapore China Association for Advancement of Science and Technology, (SCAAST), Union of Slovene Fine Art Arts Association, (ZDSLU), and has been Japan Foundation Fellow since 1991.
|Area of research: |
New Media Art: Installation Art, Public Art, Painting, Animation, Stereography, Design Education
The research delves into an exploration of trandisciplinary visual art media, researching and integrating emotive and subjective abstract image making in digital, traditional and non-traditional forms. Drawing on the ideas of the merging of digital painting, avant-garde film-making and sound cultures, current work aims to craft immersive, interactive and 3D animated installation using digital image, seeking innovative convergence of art and technology to transform spaces into novel experiences.
31/12/2012-31-12/2013 Institute for Media Innovation, IMI, Seed Grant, Project Title: 'Unframed Part 2" , M4080760.B40, PI Ina Conradi, Co-Pi Mark Chavez
15/8/2011-14/8/2012 Institute for Media Innovation, IMI, Seed Grant, Project Title: 'Unframed Part 2" , M4080760.B40, PI Ina Conradi, Co-Pi Mark Chavez
1/3/2011-28/12/2014 MOE AcRF Tier 1 RG 55/1, M52090031, "3D Stereo Animated Pictorial Space: Towards New Aesthetics in Contemporary Painting", PI Ina Conradi, Co-Pi Associate Professor Dr. Xiao Wei SUN
01/10/2010-30/11/2011 Institute for Media Innovation, IMI, Seed Grant, Project Title: Stereo Pictorial SpacesIMI Triple I System PI Ina Conradi , Co-Pi Associate Professor Dr. Xiao Wei SUN
01/10/2010-30/11/2011 Institute for Media Innovation, IMI, Seed Grant, Project Title: “EEG-based Immersion and 3D Interaction” with application in E-learning and Medical “serious” games and Art, PI Associate Professor Olga Sourina, Co-Pi Ina Conradi
01/01/2008- 28/2/2010 MOE (AcRF) Tier 1 RG105/10 “Digital Imaging in Singapore: The Integration of Digital Imagery with Traditional Art Media and Techniques for Site Specific Architectural, Urban and Landscape Settings of Singapore”, PI Ina Conradi
|Research Grant |
- Academic Research Fund Tier 1 (2008-)
- Academic Research Fund Tier 1 (2011-)
|Current Projects |
- 3D stereo animated pictorial space: towards new aesthetics in contemporary painting
- Digital Imaging in Singapore: The Integration of digital imagery with traditional art media and techniquesfor site specific architectural, urban and landscape settings of Singapore
- Tan Cheng Quan, Conradi Ina. (2013). 4th Proceedings of the URECA@NTU 2009/09, ADM: Digital Imaging in Singapore. (pp. 1330-1335).
- Ina Conradi. (2012). 3D Stereo Pictorial Spaces: Towards New Aesthetic in Contemporary Painting. Self-Published.
- Ina Conradi. (2012). Art at the edges of materiality. Multimodal User Interfaces , Volume 4&5(Issue 1-2), 69-75.
- 1st Author Ina Conradi, 2nd Author Yoon, Wai Cheong Davier. (2012). 2011 Eight International Conference, on Computer Graphics, Imaging and Visualization: Visual Resonance: Fine Art and 3D Stereo Pictoriality. 2011 Eight International Conference, on Computer Graphics, Imaging and Visualization (CGIV) (pp. pp, 25-32)Singapore/London: IEEE Computer Society Washington, DC, USA ©2011.
- Ina Conradi. (2011). Chapter 13: Digital Media and Quest for Spiritual in ArtMetaplasticity in Virtual World: Aesthetic and Semantic Concepts. (pp. pp.223-235). Italy: IGI Global.