|Assoc Prof Sun Hsiao-Li Shirley|
Division of Sociology
School of Humanities and Social Sciences
College of Humanities, Arts, & Social Sciences
- PhD New York U., Grad School of Arts & Sci 2005
- MA(Sociology) New York U., Grad School of Arts & Sci 1997
- BA(Econs) National Taiwan University 1995
|Dr. Shirley Hsiao-Li SUN is a PhD (Sociology) from New York University and the author of the book "Population Policy and Reproduction in Singapore: Making Future Citizens" (2012, London and New York: Routledge). She has successfully completed two research projects and has several articles in the SSCI-indexed and/or international peer-reviewed top journals, for example, Citizenship Studies, International Journal of Sociology and Social Policy, Social & Public Policy Review, New Global Studies, Media Asia, Journal of Workplace Rights, Journal of Comparative Research in Anthropology and Sociology, Childhood, and Journal of Comparative Family Studies. She is also a contributor to two edited books, Contemporary Grandparenting: Changing Family Relationships in Global Context, (Bristol, UK: The Policy Press; in press) and Social Subsumption and Exclusion in East Asia (South Korea: Yonsei University Press).
Prof. Sun received nominations for the Nanyang Award for Excellence in Teaching (2008-2010) and served as the undergraduate coordinator for the Division of Sociology (2005-2008) and a member of the management committee (2005-2009). She is currently a member in the Sociology Research committee and Undergraduate Education committee.
The published articles can be downloaded at the Berkeley Electronic Press website:
|Social Reproduction, Population, Citizenship, Social Inequalities, Changing Families, Children, Science and Technology, Asia-Pacific|
|Research Grant |
- Academic Research Fund Tier 1 (2011-2015)
- RCC (2005-)
|Current Projects |
- Ethical and Social Implications of Prominent Human Genetic Research in Asia
- Sun, Shirley Hsiao-Li. (2012). Care expectations, mismatched: state and family in contemporary Singapore. International Journal of Sociology and Social Policy, 32(11), 650-663.
- Sun, Shirley Hsiao-Li. (2012). Social reproduction and the limits of a neoliberal approach: the case of Singapore. Citizenship Studies, 16(2), 223-240.
- Sun, Shirley Hsiao-Li. (2012). Population policy and reproduction in Singapore: Making future citizens. Routledge.
- Sun, Shirley Hsiao-Li. (2010). From Citizen-Duty to State-Responsibility: Globalization and Nationhood in Singapore. New Global Studies, 4(3), 1-26.
- Sun, Shirley Hsiao-Li. (2009). Re-producing Citizens: Gender, Employment, and Work-Family-Balance Policies in Singapore. Journal of Workplace Rights, 14(3), 351-374.