|Asst Prof Helena Gao |
Division of Chinese
School of Humanities and Social Sciences
College of Humanities, Arts, & Social Sciences
- PhD Lund University 2001
- MA Peking Unviersity 1992
- BA Jilin Normal University 1982
|Dr. Helena Gao received her Ph.D. in general linguistics from Lund University, Sweden and did her Post-Doc. research in psycholinguistics at the Department of Psychology of the University of Toronto, Canada. After her Post-Doc. research training, she worked as Research Director of the Cognitive Development Lab/Child Study Centre at the University of Toronto before she joined NTU.|
|Cognitive Linguistics, Psycholinguistics, Bilingual Development, Language Learning and Language Teaching, Computational Linguistics.|
|Research Grant |
- CoHASS Incentive Scheme (2011-)
- Ministry of Community Development, Youth and Sports (MCYS) (2012-)
- RCC (2006-)
- RCC (2009-)
- Start Up Grant (2007-)
|Current Projects |
- Bilingual Children’s Domain Specific Lexical Development
- Chinese-English Bilingual Speakers' Acquisition of Hand Action Verbs
- Gao, H. Helena. (2010). A Study of Swedish Speakers’ Learning of Chinese Noun Classifiers. Nordic Journal of Linguistics, 33(2), 197-229.
- Zelazo, P. David., & Gao, H. Helena. (2009). Development and ConsciousnessOxford Companion to Consciousness. (pp. 168-179)..
- Gao, H. Helena & Holland, John. (2008). Agent-Based Models of Levels of Consciousness. Santa Fe Institute Working Paper , #08-12-048.
- Gao, H. Helena & Zelazo, P. David. (2008). Language and Development of Consciousness: Degrees of DisembodimentDevelopmental Perspectives on Embodiment and Consciousness. United States: Taylor & Francis.
- Zelazo,P.David, Gao, H. Helena, Todd, Rebacca. (2007). Development of ConsciousnessThe Cambridge Handbook of Consciousness. United Kingdom: Cambridge University Press.