|Prof Heitor Capuzzo|
School of Art, Design and Media
College of Humanities, Arts, & Social Sciences
Phone: (+65)6513 8102
Office: ART 3-18
- Postdoc Residency University of Southern California 2004
- PhD (Cinema, ECA) University of Sao Paulo 1991
- MFA (Cinema, ECA) University of Sao Paulo 1988
- BFA (Art Ed) Marcelo Tupinamba School 1986
|Professor in the School of Art, Design and Media (ADM). He was also Professor in the Department of Media Study (DMS) at State University of New York – University at Buffalo and Professor in the Department of Photography, Theater and Cinema at the School of Fine Arts, Federal University of Minas Gerais (UFMG - Brazil). He received the Master of Fine Arts and Doctoral degrees in Cinema from the School of Communications and Arts at Sao Paulo University (USP - Brazil). He is the author of the books Cinema: The Dream's Adventure, The Twilight Zone: Cinema Beyond Imagination, Alfred Hitchcock: Cinema in Construction, and Tears of Light: Romantic Drama Films and the organizer of Cinema According to the Critics of Sao Paulo. He is co-organizer of the book Reflections on Film Editing by Eduardo Leone (midia@rte/UFMG Press). He directed the short films Strange Smile - with Jose Armando Pereira da Silva (Best Film and Best Director awards in the film festivals of Gramado and Brasilia), Good Night and Jump Violeta. He was also a film critic for the newspaper Diario do Grande ABC for 10 years.|
Capuzzo received a BA in Art Education at MARTUP, an undergraduate degree in Theater from the School of Dramatic Arts at Fundacao das Artes de Sao Caetano do Sul. He was Associate Director of the Institute of Transdisciplinary Advanced Studies (IEAT) at UFMG from 2000-2003. Between 2002 and 2004 he made his post doctoral stage and was a Visiting Scholar in the Division of Animation and Digital Arts of the USC School of Cinematic Arts at University of Southern California in Los Angeles. In 2005 he was a Visiting Scholar at Arizona State University (ASU). He is the founding director of the midia@rte - Multimidia Laboratory at the School of Fine Arts at UFMG and was member of Conselho Superior de Cinema, a media and cinema advisory council to the President of Brazil, Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva.
|History of Animation, author, research director. |
Visual effects: strategies for low budget film production, motion capture, synthetic character and environment.
Digital narratives: interactive and non-linearity.
Blending theory and practice, his research addresses the dialogue between traditional and digital animation.
His expertise is also focused in History of Cinema, Animation and Visual Effects.
|Research Grant |
- Academic Research Fund Tier 1 (2013-)
- Start Up Grant (2010-)
|Current Projects |
- Start Up Grants
- Utopian Constructions: Spanish Civil War
- Heitor Capuzzo. (2013). Western Classico: o ultimo por-do-solHoward Hawks Integral. (pp. 83-89). Brazil: Fundacao Clovis Salgado.
- Heitor Capuzzo. (2012, October). Drawing Sound: From Rudolf Pfenninger to Norman McLaren. Paper presented at The International Symposium on Visual Music, Nanyang Technological University; School of Art, Design and Media.
- Heitor Capuzzo. (2012). Best of Animation. XIX Festival of Animated Film Stuttgart, , 99-104.
- Heitor Capuzzo. (2011). O que da pra rir da pra chorar.... Arte e Cultura da America Latina, XXV(1/2011), 11-24.
- Heitor Capuzzo. (2011). O Cinema da cumplicidadeAlfred Hitchcock. (pp. 75-78). Brazil: Centro Cultural Banco do Brasil.