|Asst Prof Frantisek Kratochvil |
Division of Linguistics and Multilingual Studies
School of Humanities and Social Sciences
College of Humanities, Arts, & Social Sciences
- PhD (Ling) Leiden University 2007
- MA (Dutch Lang & Lit) University of Nijmegen 2002
|Dr František Kratochvíl joined the Division of Linguistics and Multilingual Studies (School of Humanities and Social Sciences) in September 2010.|
František obtained his PhD in Linguistics from Leiden University (the Netherlands) in 2007 for a grammatical description of Abui, a non-Austronesian (Papuan) language of Alor (Eastern Indonesia).
After the completion of his PhD research, he joined the Research Centre for Linguistic Typology at La Trobe University, where he was awarded a post-doctoral fellowship. He continued his research on Abui and started research on Sawila (another Papuan language of Alor).
In September 2009, František took up a lecturer position in the Department of English Language and Literature at Hong Kong Baptist University.
František is the author of three books, a number of articles and book chapters. He served as a reviewer for Oceanic Linguistics and John Benjamins.
|Papuan and Austronesian linguistics, Linguistic typology, Morphology, Grammaticalization, Deixis, Verbal semantics|
|Research Grant |
- Academic Research Fund Tier 1 (2013-)
- Academic Research Fund Tier 2 (2013-)
- Start Up Grant (2011-2014)
|Current Projects |
- Documentation and Analysis of Endangered Papuan Languages of Alor-Pnatar Archipelago, Southeast Indonesian
- Documentation of Zhongshan Min: Sustainability of dialectal islands in modernizing China
- Exploring the crossroads of linguistic diversity: language contact in S.E. Asia
- Holton G, Klamer M, Kratochvil F, Robinson L, Schapper A. (2012). The historical relation of the Papuan languages of Alor and Pantar. Oceanic linguistics, 51(1), 86-122.
- Kratochvíl, F. (2012). Transitivity in Abui. Studies in Language, 35(3), 588-635.
- LaPolla, Randy J., KrKratochvil, Frantisek, and Alexander R. Coupe. (2011). On transitivity. Studies in Language, 35.3, 469-491.
- Frantisek Kratochvil. (2011, July ). Demonstratives as markers of stance: Evidence from Abui. Paper presented at Stance Marking Across Languages: Linguistic and Cultural Perspectives’ workshop, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University.
- Frantisek K. with Sebastian Fedden, Gary Holton, Marian Klamer, Laura Robinson and. (2011). Pronominal systems in Alor-Pantar languages: Development and diachronic stability. 20th International Conference on Historical Linguistics (ICHL XX).