|Asst Prof Fidel Costa Rodriguez |
Division of Earth Sciences
School of Physical & Mathematical Sciences
College of Science
- PhD (Earth Sc) University of Geneva 1999
- BA (Earth Sc) University of Barcelona 1994
|Fidel COSTA is a Principal Investigator with the Volcano group at EOS. He|
is an igneous petrologist and geochemist specializing in volcanic
processes. He studied Earth Sciences at the University of Barcelona (Spain), and
received his Ph.D. from the University of Geneva (Switzerland). He was
Marie Curie Fellow (CNRS, Orleans), and subsequently held positions as a
Post-Doctoral Fellow at Ruhr-University, Bochum (Germany), and at the CSIC
in Barcelona (Ramon y Cajal Fellow). He has been involved in developing
new geochronological methods to determine the rates of volcanic and
magmatic processes occurring on human time scales.
|I'm interested in understanding the formation, transport, and eruption of magmas|
(silicate melt, gas and crystals) on the Earth's surface. Main focus are the conditions
(pressure, temperature, volatile contents) at which magmas are stored prior to
eruption, the processes that lead to the erupted magma compositions
(magma mixing, crystallization), the rates and time scales at which these
processes occur, and, finally how all this information relate to volcanic monitoring
data and unrest phenomena. I have expertise and use a large variety of geochemical
(SEM, electron microprobe, SIMS, FTIR, LA-ICP-MS, XRF, INAA), experimental
(high pressure and temperature apparatus for phase equilibria),
and modeling (finite differences for kinetics in solid state) approaches.
|Research Grant |
|Current Projects |
- Understanding the Rates of Magmatic Processes and Their Relationship to Volcanic Unrest and Monitoring Signals
- J. S. Herrin, F. Costa. (2013). IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering: European Microbeam Analysis Society: Combined application of FEG-EPMA and EBSD to submicron pyroxene lamellae in magmatic systems.. 13th Workshop on Modern Developments and Applications in Microbeam Analysis (pp. 362)IOP.
- F. Costa, J. Herrin. (2013). Exsolution lamellae in volcanic pyroxenes as an indicator of cooling times and sizes of magma reservoirs. International Association of Volcanology and Chemistry of the Earth's Interior..
- Druitt, T., Costa, F., Deloule, E., Dungan, M., Scaillet, B. (2012). Decadal to monthly timescales of magma transfer and reservoir growth at a caldera volcano. Nature, 4 8 2, 77-80.
- Costa, F. and Chakraborty, S. (2008). The effect of water on Si and O diffusion rates in mantle olivine and implications for transport properties and processes in the upper mantle. Physics of the Earth and Planetary Interiors , 166, 11-29.
- Pichavant, M., Costa, F., Burgisser, A., Scaillet, B., Martel, C., and Poussineau, S. (2007). Equilibration scales in silicic to intermediate magmas - Implications for phase equilibrium studies.. Journal of Petrology, 48, 1955-1972.