|Dr. Fan joined in NTU in Aug 2008 as one of 1st-batch Nanyang Assistant Professors. He is now leading his group working on synthesis and surface engineering of metal oxide nanoarrays and associated heterostructures for their energy conversion applications, focusing on solar water splitting. Dr. Fan has 6 year experience in metal oxide nanostructures since 2003 in Max Planck Institute in Germany. His PhD was on laser spectroscopy of porous substrate. He has 10 years’ experience in semiconductor nanowires especially metal oxides, from synthesis, unique physical properties to emerging energy applications. He pioneered the growth of ordered ZnO nanowire arrays (2004), nanoscale Kirkendall effect in inorganic nanotubes (2006), branched nanowires with unprecedented structural control (2009), TiO2 inverse opals as high-efficiency electrode in solar water splitting (2012). Till Jul 12, he has published 91 journal papers and received more than 2500 citations (H index = 25). Their work was selected 13 times for highlighting as covers of high-profile journals, such as Adv. Mater., Adv. Funct. Mater., ACS Nano; Dr. Fan received the 2009 Prosper.net-Scopus Young Scientist Award, 2011 SPMS Young Scientist Award, and was finalist of 2011 National Young Scientist Award. He is an editorial board member of the journal Nanotechnology (IOP).|
- Atomic Surface Study on Supercapacitor Electrodes using Atomic Layer Deposition and Simulations
- Disruptive Photonic Technologies (DPT)
- Metal-Oxide Nanofibers by Electrospinning and their Applications in Energy Production and Storage
- Nanomaterials and their Unique Physical Properties
- New Plasmonic Nanoshell Arrays for Highly Sensitive Optical Sensing
- Semiconductor Nanowire/Metal Nanoparticle Hybrid Structures for Highly Sensitive Multicolor Photodetectors
- SinBeRISE Subproject 4 - Materials
- Jingshan Luo, Xinhui Xia, Yongsong Luo, Cao Guan, Jilei Liu, Xiaoying Qi, Chin Fan Ng, Ting Yu, Hua Zhang, and Hong Jin Fan*. (2013). Rational Designed Hierarchical TiO2@Fe2O3 Hollow Nanostructures for Improved Lithium Ion Storage. advanced energy materials, .
- M. Liu, R. Chen, G. Adamo, K. F. MacDonald, E. J. Sie, T. C. Sum, N. I. Zheludev, H. Sun, and H. J. Fan. (2013). Tuning the influence of metal nanoparticles on ZnO photoluminescence by atomic-layer-deposited dielectric spacer. Nanophotonics, 2, 153.
- Xinhui Xia, Jingshan Luo, Zhiyuan Zeng, Cao Guan, Yongqi Zhang, Jiangping Tu, Hua Zhang, and Hong Jin Fan*. (2012). Integrated photoelectrochemical energy storage: solar hydrogen generation and supercapacitor. Scientific Report, 2, 981.
- Cao Guan, Xinhui Xia, Nan Meng, Zhiyuan Zeng, Xiehong Cao, Cesare Soci, Hua Zhang, Hong Jin Fan*. (2012). Hollow core–shell nanostructure supercapacitor electrodes: gap matters. Energy and Environmental Science, 5, 9085-9090.
- Chuanwei Cheng, Hong Jin Fan*. (2012). Branched Nanowires: Synthesis and Energy Applications. Nano Today, 7, 327-343.