|Academic Profile |
| || |
Assoc Prof Fan Hongjin
Assistant Chair (Students), School of Physical & Mathematical Sciences
Division of Physics & Applied Physics
School of Physical & Mathematical Sciences
College of Science
- PhD National University of Singapore 2003
- BSc Jilin University 1999
|Dr. Fan is currently an associate professor at School of Physical and Mathematical Sciences, NTU. He received PhD from National University of Singapore in 2003, followed by postdoc at Max-Planck-Institute of Microstructure Physics, Germany and University of Cambridge. He joined in NTU as faculty since 2008. Dr. Fan’s expertise include semiconductor nanowires, energy conversion and storage applications of nanomaterials (including solar water splitting, batteries and supercapacitors). He is also interested in optics of semiconducting low-dimensional materials (nanowires and inorganic 2D materials). He is particularly reputed for his work in application of atomic layer deposition (ALD) in energy research. Dr. Fan has published more than >160 journal papers, with citations of about 9500 and H-index of 50. He is an editorial board member of Nanotechnology, Associate Editor of Materials Research Bulletin, and advisory board member of several Wiley journals|
|1. Nanomaterials in Energy|
Nanomaterials for solar water splitting via photoelectrochemical cells
Li-ion batteries, Na-ion batteries, supercapacitors, and emergent energy storage devices
Atomic layer deposition in energy applications
2. Low-Dimensional Semiconductors
Semiconducting nanowires and heteronanostructure
2D materials, especially heterostructured 2D materials, and related electronic devices
- Academic Research Fund Tier 1 (2015-) [by Ministry of Education (MOE)]
- Academic Research Fund Tier 1 (2016-) [by Ministry of Education (MOE)]
- Academic Research Fund Tier 1 (2017-) [by MOE]
- Academic Research Fund Tier 2 (2014-)
- Academic Research Fund Tier 2 (2015-)
- Academic Research Fund Tier 3 (2012-)
- NRF CREATE (2012-)
- Bimetallic Nitride Nanopore Arrays for Efficient Electrolysis Water Splitting
- Building Advanced Nanomaterial Electrodes for Sodium-Ion Batteries
- Disruptive Photonic Technologies (DPT)
- Hybrid Solar Cells Using Non-Toxic Organic Hole-Transporting Photosensitizers
- MoS2 inverse opal coupled upconversion for photoelectrochemical application
- Perovskite Single Crystals in Different Dimensions for Lasing and Solar Devices
- Robust Room Temperature Broadband Wavelength Tunable Nanolasers
- SinBeRISE Subproject 4 - Materials
- Surface Functionalization of Nanostructured Electrodes by NIE Plasma for Performance Enhancement
- Yongqi Zhang, Bo Ouyang, Jing Xu, Shi Chen, Rajdeep Singh Rawat,* and Hong Jin Fan*. (2016). 3D Porous Hierarchical Nickel–Molybdenum Nitrides Synthesized by RF Plasma as Highly Active and Stable Hydrogen-Evolution-Reaction Electrocatalysts. Advanced Energy Materials, .
- Huanwen Wang · Yu Zhang · Huixiang Ang · Yongqi Zhang · Hui Teng Tan · Yufei Zhang · Yuanyuan Guo · Joseph B. Franklin · Xing Long Wu · Madhavi Srinivasan · Hong Jin Fan · Qingyu Yan. (2016). A High-Energy Lithium-Ion Capacitor by Integration of a 3D Interconnected Titanium Carbide Nanoparticle Chain Anode with a Pyridine-Derived Porous Nitrogen-Doped Carbon Cathode. Advanced Functional Materials, 1616(3028).
- Xinhui Xia*, Yadong Wang, Donghuang Wang, Yongqi Zhang, Zhanxi Fan, Jiangping Tu*, Hua Zhang, and Hong Jin Fan*. (2016). Atomic-layer-deposited iron oxide on arrays of metal/carbon spheres and their application for electrocatalysis. Nano Energy, 20, 244–253.
- C. Zhu, P. Yang, D. Chao, X. Wang, X. Zhang, S. Chen, B.K. Tay, H. Huang, H. Zhang, W. Mai, H.J. Fan. (2015). All Metal Nitrides Solid-State Asymmetric Supercapacitors. Advanced Materials, 27(31), 4566-4571.
- Xinhui Xia, Dongliang Chao, Yongqi Zhang, Ze Xiang Shen, Hong Jin Fan*. (2015). Three-Dimensional Graphene and Their Integrated Electrodes. Nano Today, 9, 785-807.