|Prof Lu Yilong|
Division of Communication Engineering
School of Electrical & Electronic Engineering
College of Engineering
Phone: (+65)6790 4543
- PGDipTHE Nanyang Technological University 1994
- PhD University of London, UCL 1991
- ME Tsinghua University 1984
- BE Harbin Institute of Technology 1982
|Prof LU Yilong is currently in the School of School of Electrical and Electronic Engineering. He received the B.Eng degree in January 1982 from Harbin Institute of Technology (Harbin, China), the M.Eng degree in November 1984 from Tsinghua University (Beijing, China), and the Ph.D degree in November 1991 from University College of London (London, UK). All degrees are in electronic engineering.
From November 1984 to September 1988, he was with the Department of Electromagnetic Fields Engineering, University of Electronic Science and Technology of China (Chengdu, China) as a lecturer in the Antenna Division. He joined the School of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Nanyang Technological University (Singapore) in December 1991 and he is currently a full Professor in the Communication Engineering Division. He was a Visiting Scientist at University of California - Los Angeles (UCLA) from October 1998 to June 1999.
His research interests include radar, antennas, microwave engineering, array based signal processing, computational electromagnetics, and evolutionary computation for optimization of complex problems. Dr Lu has authored/co-authored 1 monograph, 5 book chapters, and more than 200 journal and conference papers in his research areas. He has been the Principal Investigator of more than 10 research projects since 1995 with a total funding of more than SGD6.5 millions.
Dr. Lu is the Deputy Director of Centre for Modeling and Control of Complex Systems; the coordinator of the Microwave Circuits, Antennas and Propagation research group; and the Supervisor of Communication Research Laboratory and Communication Laboratory I, in the School of Electrical and Electronic Engineering. He is also the Programme Leader of the Radar Programme in Temasek Laboratories, NTU.
He is a member of The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) and a member of Editorial Board for the research journal "IET Radar, Sonar & Navigation".
|Prof LU Yilong's research interests include modern radar systems, antennas, array signal processing, microwave circuits/devices, computational electromagnetics, evolutionary computation for optimization of complex problems. His current research works focus on new radar system concepts and demonstration, integrated millimeter wave antenna array, vector antennas, and new approaches for estimation of direction of arrival.
Below is a more detailed list of his research interests:
1. Modern Radar Systems
1.1 Passive Radar (based on GSM, DTV and WiMAX illuminations)
1.2 High Frequency Surface Wave Radar (HFSWR)
1.3 Foliage Penetration Radar
1.4 Multiple-Input and Multiple-Output (MIMO) Radar
1.5 Radar Imaging
2.1 Wire antennas
2.2 Microstrip antennas
2.3 Millimeter wave antennas
2.4 Cavity antennas
2.5 Conformal antennas
2.6 Vector antennas
3. Array Signal Processing
3.1 Arbitrary digital beamforming (DBF)
3.2 Estimation of direction of arrival (DoA)
4. Microwave/Optical Circuits/Devices
4.1 Microwave digital receiver modules
4.2 Microwave filters
4.3 Integrated dielectric waveguides
4.4 Photonic crystal fiber (PCF)
5. Computational Electromagnetics (CEM)
5.1 Finite Element Method (FEM)
5.2 Method of Moment (MoM)
5.3 Finite-Difference Time-Domain (FDTD) method
5.4 Wavelet Transform Method (WTM)
5.5 Efficient matrix equation solvers for generalized eigensystems
6. Evolutionary Computation
6.1 Genetic Algorithms (GA)
6.2 Particle Swarm Optimization (PSO)
6.3 Applications of Evolution Computation for Optimization of Complex problems
7. GUI Software Development
7.1 MATLAB NEC Toolbox (NEC: Numerical Electromagnetic Code)
7.2 MATLAB Receiver Toolbox
7.3 MATLAB Radar Toolbox
|Research Grant |
- Defence Research and Technology Office (DRTech) (2004-)
- Defence Research and Technology Office (DRTech) (2005-)
- Defence Research and Technology Office (DRTech) (2007-)
- Defence Research and Technology Office (DRTech) (2013-)
- MINDEF-NTU Joint Applied R&D Co-operation Programme (JPP) (2009-2014)
- MINDEF-NTU Joint Applied R&D Co-operation Programme (JPP) (2010-2014)
- ST Electronics – NTU (2007-2014) [by ST Electronics (SATCOM & Sensor Systems) Pte Ltd]
|Current Projects |
- Low Frequency Fopen Radar Study
- MEMs and/or MMIC Based Antennas and Microwave Integrated Circuits
- Multipath Exploitation Radar Research and Building Digital Radar Prototype
- Radar - Project Blue Dolphin Phase II
- Radar - Research Program
- Radar Program Research
- Radar Systems Research Under Project Murray
- Sub-project 4 - Positioning for Indoor Environment with Outdoor Sensors
- Vector Sensors for HFSWR Applications
- M.H. Li, Y.L. Lu,. (2008). Maximum likelihood DOA estimation in unknown colored noise fields. IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, 44(3), 1079-1090.
- Ming-Sze Tong, Y. P. Zhang and Yilong Lu. (2007). Design and analysis of integrated-circuit package antennas (ICPA) and filters (ICPF) for highly integrated wireless transceiversIntegrated Microwave Circuits and Antennas. India: Research Signpost.
- W.X. Liu, M. Lesturgie, Y.L. Lu. (2007). Real-time sparse frequency waveform design for HFSWR system. Electronics Letters, 43(24), 1387-1389.
- M.H. Li, Y.L. Lu. (2007). A refined genetic algorithm for accurate and reliable DOA estimation with a sensor array. Wireless Personal Communications, 43(2), 533-547.
- Kai LI and Yilong LU. (2006). Exact formulas for the lateral electromagnetic pulses from a horizontal electric dipole on the boundary between a isotropic medium and one-dimensionally anisotropic mediumProgress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 60. United States: EMW Publishing.