|Assoc Prof (Adj) Yau Wei Yun |
Adjunct Associate Professor
Division of Control & Instrumentation
School of Electrical & Electronic Engineering
College of Engineering
Phone: (+65)6592 3071
- PhD Nanyang Technological University 1999
- MEng Nanyang Technological University 1995
- BEng(Elect) (Hons) National University of Singapore 1992
|Dr. Wei-Yun Yau is currently in the School of EEE as an Adjunct Assistant Professor. He received his BEng (Electrical) from National University of Singapore (1992), MEng degree in biomedical image processing (1995) and PhD degree in computer vision (1999) from Nanyang Technological University respectively. He has done significant research work in biometrics, computer vision and robot-vision interface with 90 publications and 7 patents in these areas. From 1997 to 2002, he was a Research Engineer and then Program Manager at the Centre for Signal Processing, Singapore leading the research and development effort in biometrics signal processing. His team won the top 3 positions in both speed and accuracy at the international Fingerprint Verification Competition 2000 (FVC2000). Wei-Yun served as the Program Director of the Biometrics Enabled Mobile Commerce (BEAM) Consortium from 2001 to 2002. He is currently with the Institute for Infocomm Research as a Programme Manager, leading the research in Next Generation Content for IPTV. He is the Chair of the Biometrics Technical Committee, Singapore and project editor of the international standards ISO/IEC JTC1 SC37 29794-4 on fingerprint quality score normalization and co-editor for ISO/IEC JTC1 SC37 29794-1. He also served as the Chair of the Asian Biometrics Consortium from 2006 to 2007. Wei-Yun is the recipient of the TEC Innovator Award 2002, the Tan Kah Kee Young Inventors’ Award 2003 (Merit), Standards Council Merit Award 2005, IES Prestigious Engineering Achievement Awards 2006 and the Standards Council Distinguished Award 2007. He is a Senior Member of IEEE.|
|Dr. Wei-Yun Yau's areas of expertise are computer vision, biometrics, and robot-vision interface. His current research works focus on fingerprint system such as match-on-card, cancelable template, fake finger detection and soft-biometric fusion as well as media personalization focusing on user analysis, content recommendation and personalization and interactive interface.|
- T. Chen, W. Yau and X.D. Jiang. (2013). ISO/IEC standards for on-card biometrics comparison. International Journal of Biometrics, 5(1), 30-52.
- Wang J.G., Yau W.Y., A. Suwandy, E. Sung. (2008). Person Recognition by Fusing Palmprint and Palm Vein Images Based on "Laplacianpalm" Representation. Pattern Recognition, 41(5), 1514-1527.
- Eng H.L., Toh K.A., Yau W.Y., Wang J.X. (2008). “DEWS: A Live Visual Surveillance System for Early Drowning Detection at Pool. IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, 18(2), 196-210.
- Hou Z., Yau W.Y. (2008). Complementary Variance Energy for Fingerprint Segmentation. Int. Conf. Multimedia Modelling (pp. 113-122).
- J.G. Wang, H. Kong, W.Y. Yau. (2007). Weighted Multi-Block Two Dimensional Linear Discriminant for Face Recognition. Int. Conf. Info., Comm., Signal Processing.