|Assoc Prof Gan Woon Seng|
Head, Division of Information Engineering
Division of Information Engineering
School of Electrical & Electronic Engineering
College of Engineering
Phone: (+65)6790 4538
- PhD University of Strathclyde 1993
- BEng(Hons) University of Strathclyde 1989
|Woon-Seng Gan received his BEng (1st Class Hons) and PhD degrees, both in Electrical and Electronic Engineering from the University of Strathclyde, UK in 1989 and 1993 respectively. He joined the School of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore, as a Lecturer and Senior Lecturer in 1993 and 1998 respectively. In 1999, he was promoted to Associate Professor. His research interests include adaptive signal processing, psycho-acoustical signal processing, image processing, and real-time digital signal processing.
In 1998, he led two teams of undergraduates to top the Asia/Japan Territory in the 1997/98 Texas Instruments world-wide DSP and Analog Solutions Challenge respectively. He has also won the Institute of Engineer Singapore(IES) Prestigious Engineering Achievement Award in 2001 for the work on Audio Beam System. He has published more than 130 international refereed journals and conferences, and has been awarded four patents. He has recently co-authored a book on “Digital Signal Processors: Architectures, Implementations, and Applications”, Prentice Hall 2005. This book has since been translated to chinese for adoption by universities in China. He is also the leading author of a new book on “Embedded Signal Processing with the Micro Signal Architecture” which is published by Wiley-IEEE Press in February 2007.
He is currently a Senior Member of IEEE, Member of Audio Engineering Society and Professional Engineers of Singapore. He is also listed in the Philips “Faculty 300” Centre for Technical Training International Training Guide. His biographical profile is also included in the 2003-04 Marquis Who’s Who in Science and Engineering and the IES Who’s Who in Engineering, Singapore 2006. He is currently the Deputy Director of the Center for Signal Processing at Nanyang Technological University, and an Associate Editor of the Eurasip Journal on Audio, Speech and Music Processing.
|His research interests include directional sound beam (AUDIO BEAM SYSTEM), active noise control, adaptive signal processing, psycho-acoustical signal processing, embedded media processing, and real-time digital signal processing.|
|Research Grant |
- Academic Research Fund Tier 2 (2011-2014) [by Ministry of Education (MOE)]
|Current Projects |
- 3D Audio for Home Theatre Systems
- Next-Generation 3D Sound System for 3D TV: Theory, Experiments, and Applications
- Noisy Vehicular Surveillance Camera System
- D. Q. Nguyen, W.S.Gan, Andy W.H. Khong. (2011). Time-Reversal Approach to the Stereophonic Acoustic Echo Cancellation Problem. IEEE Transactions on Audio Speech and Language Processing, 19(2), 385-395.
- C Shi, W.S.Gan. (2011). Grating Lobe Elimination In steerable Parametric Loudspeaker. IEEE Transactions on Ultrasonics Ferroelectrics and Frequency Control, .
- W.S.Gan, E. L. Tan, Sen M Kuo. (2011). Audio Projection: Directional sound and its application in immersive communication. IEEE Signal Processing Magazine, 28(1), 43-57.
- C Shi, W.S.Gan. (2010). Development of Parametric Loudspeaker: A Novel Directional Sound Generation Technology. IEEE Potentials, 29(6), 20-24.
- P.F. Ji, E. L Tan, W.S.Gan, Jun Yang. (2010). A comparative analysis of preprocessing methods for the parametric loudspeaker based on the Khokhlov-Zabolotskaya-Kuznetsov equation for speech reproduction. IEEE Transactions on Audio Speech and Language Processing, .