|Assoc Prof Tan Soon Yim |
Division of Communication Engineering
School of Electrical & Electronic Engineering
College of Engineering
Phone: (+65)6790 4505
- PGDipTHE Nanyang Technological University 1998
- PhD Nanyang Technological University 1996
- BEng(Hons) University of Malaya 1991
|Prof Soon-Yim TAN is currently in the School of Electrical and Electronic Engineering since 1992. He received his Bachelor degree with first class honors in Electrical Engineering from University of Malaya, Malaysia, in 1991, and the Ph.D. degree from Nanyang Technological University, Singapore, in 1996. His research interests include electromagnetic theory and applications, propagation models and measurements for wireless communication systems, localization methodology for mobile communications and sensor networks, non-invasive cancer/tumor detection and heating. He has done significant research work and published over 40 top quality international journal papers. Currently, he is an editorial board member of Journal of electromagnetic waves and applications and member of the IDA radio standards technical committee. He has been often invited as a technical reviewer for a number of premier conferences and journals, including IEEE Trans. Mobile Computing, Antennas and Propagation, Wireless Communications, Vehicular Technology; JEWA; Radio Science etc. etc. He was appointed as consultant by more than 10 companies including SIAEC, CAAS, Bovis Lend Lease Pte Ltd, China Construction (South Pacific) Development Co Pte. Ltd etc to investigate the effects of radar reflections and scattering from many buildings and aircraft hangars near Singapore Changi Airport. Dr. TAN is a member of IEEE.
|Prof Soon Yim TAN's areas of expertise are electromagnetic scattering and diffraction theory, localization methodology and propagation models for wireless communication systems and sensor networks, and non-invasive cancer detection. His current research works focus on non line-of sight localization methodology for mobile communications and sensor networks, Microwave breast cancer detection and magnetic therapeutic.|
|Research Grant |
- Asian Office Aerospace Research and Development (2012-2014) [by Department of the Air Force, USA]
- Defence Innovative Research Programme (2011-2014) [by MINDEF - Defence Science & Technology Agency (DSTA)]
- Defence Innovative Research Programme (2013-2016) [by Defence Research and Technology Office (DRTech)]
|Current Projects |
- A Peer-To-Peer Non-Line-of-Sight Localization System Scheme In GPS-Denied Scenarios
- Indoor Localization in Urban Environment
- Project Bayleaf-DIRP
- C. K. Seow and S. Y. Tan. (2008). Localisation of mobile device in multipath environment using bi-directional estimation. Electronics Letters, 44(7), 485-487.
- C K Seow and S Y Tan. (2008). Non-Line of Sight Unidirectional Mobile Localization in Multipath Environment. Electronics Letters, 44(2), 141-143.
- M D Huang and S Y Tan. (2008). Achieving sub-wavelength resonant structures and transparency by a conducting spheroid with metamaterials coatings. Waves in Random and Complex Media, 18(1), 161-171.
- L Jiang and S Y Tan. (2007). Geometrical-based statistical channel model for outdoor and indoor propagation environments. IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, 56(6), 3587-3593.
- M. D. Huang and S. Y. Tan. (2006). An Improved Spherical Antenna Array for Wideband Phase Mode Processing. Progress In Electromagnetics Research, 66(1), 27-40.