|Prof Choi San Shing |
Division of Power Engineering
School of Electrical & Electronic Engineering
College of Engineering
Phone: (+65)6790 5406
- PhD University of Canterbury 1976
- BE(Hons) University of Canterbury 1973
|SS Choi obtained his B.E. and Ph.D. degrees from the University of Canterbury, New Zealand in 1973 and 1976 respectively. He then worked in the New Zealand Electricity Department before he took up a lecturing post at the National University of Singapore in 1978. He joined the State Energy Commission of Western Australia (SECWA) in 1981. From 1989-1992, he was Head of the System Analysis Section in SECWA. He left SECWA in Oct 1992 to join the School of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore where he is now a professor. He was Head of the Power Engineering Division, NTU from April 1995-July 2005.
Dr Choi is a senior member of the IEEE, member of IET and the Institution of Engineers, Australia. He is a Chartered Professional Engineer of Australia. He is also the recipient of the IEE FD Zerranti Premium Award for the 1989/90 session, and recipient of a 2004 IEEE Power Engineering Society Surge Protective Devices Committee High Interest Paper Award.
Dr Choi is a member of the Editorial Board of the Proc IET on generation, transmission and distribution, a member of the International Editorial Board of the Journal of Automation of Electric Power Systems, Journal of Electric Power Science and Technology.
|Power and energy systems, power quality, network stability and control, network transients, renewable energy resources, energy storage|
|Current Projects |
- Co-located Offshore Wind and Marine Energy Sources
- Q. Wang, S.S. Choi. (2008). An energy-saving series compensation strategy subject to injected voltage and input power limits. IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, 23(2), 1121-1131.
- Q. Wang, S.S. Choi. (2008). The design of battery energy storage system in a unified power flow control scheme. IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, 23(2), 1015-1024.
- XP Zhang, GJ Li, SS Choi, TT Lie, L Cheng. (2007). An optimal power injection control strategy for dynamic voltage compensators. IET Generation Transmission & Distribution, 1(5), 847-853.
- YH Li, S Rajakaruna and SS Choi. (2007). Control of a Solid Oxide Fuel Cell Power Plant in a Grid-Connected System. IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, 22(2), 405-413.
- YQ Zhan, YH Li, SS Choi, S Rajakaruna and DM Vilathgamuwa. (2006). The Design of a Fuel Cell-Based Power Quality Control Center to Realize Unbundled Power Quality Supply. IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, 21(3), 1421-1429.