|Prof Yoon Soon Fatt |
Division of Microelectronics
School of Electrical & Electronic Engineering
College of Engineering
Phone: (+65)6790 5428
- PhD University of Wales 1986
- BEng(Hons) University of Wales 1983
|Prof Yoon received his B.Eng and Ph.D degrees in Electrical Engineering from the University of Wales in Cardiff, United Kingdom in 1983 and 1986, respectively. He joined the Nanyang Technological University (then Nanyang Technological Institute) as a faculty member in 1989, where he is now Full Professor (Solid State Electronics and Photonics). Prior to joining Nanyang Technological University, he has worked as Research Engineer at ST Microelectronics, Italy and Research Associate at Standard Telecommunication Labs at Harlow, United Kingdom. In Nanyang Technological University, he directs the Compound Semiconductor & Quantum Information (CSQI) Group which presently comprises more than 20 research students and research staff. The CSQI Group is one of the largest in the School of Electrical & Electronic Engineering with key expertise in compound semiconductor materials, physics and device technology. Prof Yoon was Vice-Dean (Research) in the School of Electrical & Electronic Engineering from 1999-2005. He has published and presented numerous papers in international peer-reviewed journals and international conferences in the compound semiconductor, thin films and solid state photonics and RF device areas. |
|III-V compound semiconductors (particularly nitrides and antimonides)
Molecular beam epitaxy
Nanophotonics and nanoelectronics: materials, physics and devices
Heterogeneous integration of III-V compound semiconductors with silicon-based technology
Microwave photonics: materials, physics and devices
Quantum dot photonics for integrated nano-systems
Low dimensional systems
III-V terrestrial PV
|Research Grant |
- A*STAR - Agence Nationale de la Recherche Joint Call (2011-2014) [by A*STAR Science & Engineering Research Council (SERC)]
- A*STAR Science and Engineering Research Council (2010-2013) [by A*STAR Science & Engineering Research Council (SERC)]
- NRF Competitive Research Program (2011-2016) [by National Research Foundation (NRF)]
- NTU - Institute for Sustainable Electronics (ISNE) (2008-2013) [by Nanyang Technological University]
- SMA Graduate Fellowship Research Supplement (2013-2017) [by Ministry of Education (MOE)]
- Singapore-MIT Alliance for Research and Technology (SMART) Centre (2012-2013) [by Singapore-MIT Alliance (SMA)]
|Current Projects |
- An Integrated VLSI-Nanophotonics Platform for Ultra Low Power Sensing and Intra-Chip Optical Interconnect.
- Development of High Power Semiconductor Laser Technology Based on Solid-Source Molecular Beam Epitaxy.
- Heterogeneous Materials Integration for Advanced Memory and Logic Devices
- Innovations in Buffer Technology and Layer Transfer
- Integrated III/V Solar
- New Optical Devices Empowered by New Materials Platform
- Novel Dilute Nitride III-V Compound Semiconductor for 1550nm Ultra-Fast Photoconductive Switches
- SMA Graduate Fellowship Research Supplement - Wang Cong
- C. Y. Yeo, D. W. Xu, S. F. Yoon, and E. A. Fitzgerald. (2013). Low temperature direct wafer bonding of GaAs to Si via plasma activation. Applied Physics Letters, 105(5), 054107.
- S.F.Yoon. (2013). Dilute nitride-antimonide semiconductor alloys for high speed micro and nanosystems: A review of recent progress. 5th International Conference on Materials for Advanced Technologies 2009, ICMAT 2009Singapore.
- S. F. Yoon, D. W. Xu, Y. Ding, C. Z. Tong, and W. J. Fan. (2013). Power Characteristics of 1.3-μm InAs Quantum-Dot Vertical Cavity Surface Emitting Lasers Fabricated by the Dielectric-Free Approach. 2012 IEEE International Conference on Electron Devices and Solid State Circuits (pp. 67)Bangkok, Thailand.
- Wan Khai Loke, Kian Hua Tan, Satrio Wicaksono, Soon Fatt Yoon, Man Hon Samuel Owen and Yee-Chia Yeo. (2012). Effect of growth temperature on the epitaxy strain relaxation and the tilt of InxAl1−xAs graded layer grown by solid-source molecular beam epitaxy. Journal of Physics D-Applied Physics, 45, 505106.
- Ivana, Sujith Subramanian, Man Hon Samuel Owen, Kian Hua Tan, Wan Khai Loke, Satrio Wicaksono, Soon Fatt Yoon and Yee-Chia Yeo. (2012). N-Channel InGaAs Field-Effect Transistors formed on Germanium-on-Insulator Substrates. Applied Physics Express, 5(116502), 116502.