|Prof Shum Ping |
Co-Director, OPTIMUS, Photonics Centre of Excellence
Division of Communication Engineering
School of Electrical & Electronic Engineering
College of Engineering
Phone: (+65)6790 4217
- PhD University of Birminghm 1995
- BEng(Hons) University of Birmingham 1991
|P. Shum received the B. Eng. and PhD degrees in electronic and electrical engineering from of the University of Birmingham, UK, in 1991 and 1995, respectively. After PhD graduation, he stay in the same university as an honorary postdoctoral research fellow. In 1996, he carried out research in semiconductor laser and high speed optical laser communication in the Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Hong Kong University. Since July 1997, Dr. P. Shum joined the Department of Electronic Engineering, Optoelectronics Research Centre, City University of Hong Kong. In 1998, he has received the IEEE EDS/MTTS India Chapter best paper award for his paper in Photonics-98. In 2002, he received the best paper award at the 3rd International Conference on Microwave and Millimeter Wave Technology. In 1999, Dr. Shum joined the School of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Nanyang Technological University. He is the founding member of IEEE LEOS chapter in Singapore. Since 2002, he has been appointed as the Director of Network Technology Research Centre. He received the Singapore National Academy of Science Young Scientist Award in 2002. Dr. Shum has published more than 300 international journal and conference papers. He is the technical program chair of ICOCN 2003 and committee members and international advisor of many international conferences. His research interests are concerned with optical communications, nonlinear waveguide modelling, fibre gratings and WDM communication systems.|
Interactive and digital media
|Research Grant |
- A*STAR Science and Engineering Research Council (2012-)
- A*STAR Science and Engineering Research Council (2012-2014) [by A*STAR Science & Engineering Research Council (SERC)]
- Academic Research Fund Tier 3 (2012-)
- Defence Innovative Research Programme (2013-2017) [by Defence Research and Technology Office (DRTech)]
- Defence Research and Technology Office (DRTech) (2009-)
- Defence Research and Technology Office (DRTech) (2010-)
- Defence Research and Technology Office (DRTech) (2012-)
- Defence Science Organisation National Laboratories (2011-2014) [by MINDEF - DSO National Laboratories]
- Defence Science Organisation National Laboratories (2011-2015) [by MINDEF - DSO National Laboratories]
- EDB Industrial Postgraduate Programme (2012-2016) [by 3M]
- JPT Electronics Pte Ltd (2012-2016)
- JPT Electronics Pte Ltd (2013-2017)
- NTU Internal Funding - EEE (2013-2014) [by School of Electrical and Electronic Engineering]
|Current Projects |
- Advanced Photonics Technologies for Next Optical Diagnostic Imaging
- Design and Fabrication of Cost Effective Mid-IR Source by Three Photon Generation
- Development of LED Visible Light Communication for Display and Graphics Applications
- Disruptive Photonic Technologies (DPT)
- High Energy Pulsed Fibre Laser
- High Power Fiber Laser
- High power cladding-pumped cascaded Raman fibre sources for mid-IR wavelengths
- Highly Collimated Watt-level Mid-IR (3-5um) Quantum Cascade Lasers With Beam Combing
- Investigations Into Novel Single Mode Fiber Lasers (DSO PhD Research Award Student- Ms Hong Liying)
- Quantum Key Distribution
- Sub-Project 6- Electro-optically Active Ring Devices for CMOS-Compatible Devices
- Sub-project 5 - Photonic Instantaneous Frequency Measurement Based On Microwave Frequency to Optical Power Mapping
- Sub-project 6 - Design and Application of Highly Dispersive Photonoic Crystal Fibers
- Ultra-low Timing Jitter and Ultra-short Pulse-width Mode-locked Fiber Laser Source.
- KAI JIANG, SONGNIAN FU, PING SHUM,CHINLON LIN. (2010). A wavelength-Switchable Passively Harmonically Mode-locked Fiber Laser with Low Pumping Threshold Using Single-Walled Carbon Nanotubes. IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, .
- H. Dong, P. Shum and M. Tang. (2008). Measurement of First- to Fourth-Order Polarization Mode Dispersion in Optical Fibers. OFC/NFOEC 2008 (pp. JWA12).
- X. Yu, P. Shum, G. Ren and N. Q. Ngo. (2008). Photonic crystal fibers with high index infiltrations for refractive index sensing. Optics Communications, 281(18), 4555-4559.
- X. Xiao, P. Shum, E. S. Nazemosadat, and C. Yang. (2008). Four-Wave Mixing of Pulsed Signal in Dispersion-Shifted Fiber with Pump Depletion. IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, 20(14), 1231-1233.
- H. Q. Lam, P. Shum, L. N. Binh, Y.D. Gong and S.N. Fu. (2008). Series Analysis of Active Mode-Locked Laser Under the Influence of ASE Noise. Journal of Lightwave Technology , 26(12), 1671-1680.