|Prof Yeo Kiat Seng|
Associate Chair (Research), School of Electrical & Electronic Engineering
Fellow, Renaissance Engineering Programme
Division of Circuits & Systems
School of Electrical & Electronic Engineering
College of Engineering
Phone: (+65)6790 5630
- PhD Nanyang Technological University 1996
- BEng(Elect.)(Hons) Nanyang Technological University 1993
|YEO Kiat Seng received the B.Eng. (with Honors in Elect. Eng.) in 1993, and Ph.D. (Elect. Eng.) in 1996 both from Nanyang Technological University (NTU). He joined the School of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Nanyang Technological University in 1996 as a Lecturer. Associate Chair (Research) of the School of Electrical and Electronic Engineering at NTU and Board Member of the Singapore Semiconductor Industry Association (SSIA), Prof Yeo is a widely known authority in low-power IC design and a recognized expert in CMOS technology and radio frequency/mm-wave IC design. He was the first person in South-East Asia to set-up a facility to perform research and development in RF/mm-wave CMOS device modeling and characterization. His research achievements and contributions in IC design have been recognized in both academic and industry. As a result of his innovative pioneering work in the field of IC design, he has successfully attracted over S$30 million of external research funding from various funding agencies and the industry in the last 3 years.
Prof Yeo is currently a Professor in the School of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, a Senator, an Advisory Board member and a Fellow of the Renaissance Engineering Programme at NTU. He was the Founding Director of VIRTUS, a S$50 million research centre of excellence jointly set up by Nanyang Technological University and Singapore Economic Development Board. Since 1996, he has been providing consultancy services to statutory boards, local SMEs and multinational corporations in the areas of IC design. Several of his patents were licensed to companies for commercial exploitation. He is the author of 6 books and 3 book chapters. He has published 320 international top-tier refereed journal and conference papers in his area of research and holds over 25 patents, including two patents for the world’s smallest integrated transformer, a patent for the world’s smallest integrated filter for 60GHz standard, the inventor of several high Q-factor RF spiral inductors and co-inventor of quite a few novel circuit techniques for RF/mm-wave IC applications.
He is also an excellent teacher who shows distinction and success. He has supervised or trained more than 100 researchers and postgraduate students, many of whom had become successful leaders in industry and academia. Apart from his excellent teaching and research achievements, he has contributed significant services to the university and to professional societies. He was Head of Division of Circuits and Systems, Sub-Dean (Student Affairs), Program Manager of the System-on-Chip flagship project, Research Coordinator of the Integrated Circuit Design Group and Principal Investigator of the Integrated Circuit Technology Group at NTU. He gave several keynotes and invited talks at various scientific conferences, meetings, workshops and seminars and serves in the editorial board of IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques and was one of the Guest Editors of Journal of Circuits, Systems and Computers on Green Integrated Circuits and Systems from 2008 to 2009 and is currently one of the Guest Editors of Journal of Circuits, Systems and Computers on Energy and Variability Aware Circuits and Systems. Prof Yeo also hold/held key positions in many international conferences as Advisor, General Chair, Co-General Chair and Technical Chair. He was awarded the Public Administration Medal (Bronze) on National Day 2009 by the President of the Republic of Singapore and was also awarded the distinguished Nanyang Alumni Award in 2009 for his outstanding contributions to the university and society.
|His research interests include device characterization and modeling, RF IC design, and low-voltage low-power IC design.|
|Research Grant |
- A*STAR Science and Engineering Research Council (2011-2014) [by A*STAR Science & Engineering Research Council (SERC)]
- Academic Research Fund Tier 1 (2011-2014) [by Nanyang Technological University]
- Academic Research Fund Tier 2 (2013-2016) [by Ministry of Education (MOE)]
- EDB Industrial Postgraduate Programme (2013-2017) [by GlobalFoundries Singapore Ltd]
- Economic Development Board (EDB) Grant (2007-2014) [by Economic Development Board (EDB), Nanyang Technological University, Panasonic Semiconductor Asia Pte Ltd]
- Economic Development Board (EDB) Grant (2008-2015) [by Economic Development Board (EDB), Chartered Semiconductor Manufacturing Ltd]
- Economic Development Board (EDB) Grant (2009-2015) [by Economic Development Board (EDB)]
- Economic Development Board (EDB) Grant (2009-2018) [by Economic Development Board (EDB), Nanyang Technological University, School of Electrical and Electronic Engineering]
- Economic Development Board (EDB) Grant (2010-2013) [by Economic Development Board (EDB), Silicon Core Technology Singapore Pte Ltd]
- Economic Development Board (EDB) Grant (2010-2016) [by Mediatek Singapore Pte Ltd, Economic Development Board (EDB)]
- Economic Development Board (EDB) Grant (2010-2017) [by Infineon Technologies Asia Pacific Pte Ltd, Economic Development Board (EDB)]
- Economic Development Board (EDB) Grant (2010-2018) [by Economic Development Board (EDB), Verigy (Singapore) Pte Ltd]
- NRF Proof of Concept (2012-2013) [by National Research Foundation (NRF)]
- NTU Internal Funding (2010-2013) [by Nanyang Technological University]
- NTU Internal Funding - EEE (2013-2014) [by School of Electrical and Electronic Engineering]
- Workforce Development Agency (2012-2015) [by Workforce Development Agency (WDA)]
|Current Projects |
- 60GHZ RFIC Chipset Development (Radio Frequency Integrated Circuit)
- Big-data Computing System: A 3-D IC Perspective
- Characterization of 0.6Um BiCMOS Process
- Design Exploration for High Data-rate Wireless Communication Systems at 60GHz for New Media Applications
- Design of RF Silicon On Insulator (SOI) Switches for 60 GHz Wireless Communication Applications
- Development of Mixed Signal/ Analog/ RF/ mm-wave IP using GF's 65nm RF CMOS Process
- Establishment of VIRTUS, IC Design Centre for Excellence
- High Thermal Resolution Ultra-Low Power Integrated Imager: Fund. Issues in CMOS
- IC Design Joint Industry Postgraduate (JIP) Pre-positioning Programme [EDB-NTU]
- Integrated Microsystem with Energy Scavenging, Sensor and Radio Integration using TSV Technology
- Ion Camera: A Real-Time High-sensitivity and High-resolution ISFET-based Ion Detection System for Food and Drug Safety
- Joint Industry Postgraduate (JIP) II Programme [EDB-NTU-Infineon Technologies Asia Pacific]
- Joint Industry Postgraduate (JIP) II Programme [EDB-NTU-MediaTek Singapore Pte Ltd]
- Joint Industry Postgraduate (JIP) II Programme [EDB-NTU-Siliconcore Technology Singapore Pte Ltd]
- Joint Industry Postgraduate (JIP) II Programme [EDB-NTU-Verigy (Singapore) Pte Ltd]
- Joint Industry Postgraduate (JIP) II Programme for PhD students [EDB-NTU-Panasonic Semiconductor Asia Pte Ltd (1)]
- MediaTek Professorship in IC Design Fund
- Neural Interface IC
- Semiconductor Specialist Manpower Programme (SMP) [EDB-NTU-Panasonic Semiconductor Asia Pte Ltd (3)]
- VIRTUS-CCE-WDA Integrated Circuit Design-Professional (ICD-PRO) Programme
- W. L. Yang, K. X. Ma, K. S. Yeo, W. M. Lim, and Z. H. Kong,. (2013). A Compact Dual-Band Meander-line Antenna for Biomedical Applications. IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Workshop Series on RF and Wireless Technologies for Biomedical and Healthcare Applications (IMWS-Bio 2013), Singapore,.
- Nagarajan Mahalingam, Ma Kaixue, Yeo Kiat Seng, and Lim Wei Meng,. (2013). K-band High-PAE Wide-Tuning-Range VCO Using Triple-Coupled LC Tanks. IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems Part II-Express Briefs, 60(11), 736 - 740.
- Xiao Peng Yu, Zheng Hao Lu, Bo Yu Hu, Wei Meng Lim, Er Tai Duo, and Kiat Seng Yeo. (2013). A 12mW 40-60GHz 0.18um BiCMOS Oscillator-Less Self-Demodulators for Short-Range Software-Defined Transceivers. IEEE Journal on Emerging and Selected Topics in Circuits and Systems, .
- Wei Meng Lim, Jiangmin Gu, Jialin Feng, Kiat Seng Yeo, Xiaopeng Yu, Liter Siek, Kok Meng Lim, Chirn Chye Boon, Wanlan Yang, and Jinna Yan. (2013). A 60GHz Power Amplifier with 12.1dBm & P1dBCP in 0.18um SiGe BiCMOS Process. 2013 International SoC Design Conference, ISOCC 2013, Busan, Korea,.
- Chen Feng, Xiao Peng Yu, Wei Meng Lim, and Kiat Seng Yeo. (2013). A Compact 2.1-39GHz Self-Biased Wideband LNA in 65nm CMOS Technology. IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, .