|Assoc Prof Low Kay Soon|
Division of Control & Instrumentation
School of Electrical & Electronic Engineering
College of Engineering
Phone: (+65)6790 4003
- PhD University of New South Wales 1995
- BEng(Hons) National University of Singapore 1985
|Dr. Low Kay Soon received his BEng and PhD degrees in Electrical and Electronic Engineering from the National University of Singapore and the University of New South Wales respectively. He has been a faculty member of Nanyang Technological University since 1994 as a lecturer initially and subsequently became an associate professor. During the period of 2000 to 2003, he pioneered the development of ultra wideband (UWB) radio technology with Cellonics Pte Ltd. Several high data rate live compact disc audio and DVD quality video streaming systems have been developed and showcased in various commercial exhibitions such as CeBit and CommuniAsia etc. He has 16 granted patents as the first inventor on nonlinear circuits and UWB from the US, European and PCT patent offices. The patents have been successfully licensed to MNC.
Dr Low has published more than 150 research papers in international refereed journals and international conferences. He has successfully completed 34 funded projects with many of them from the industry. Presently, he has 10 on-going funded projects in the field of solar energy system, wireless sensor network, pulse neural network for image processing and satellite system. He is one of the key team leaders of X-SAT, which is the first Singapore-built satellite. The X-SAT was successfully launched on 20 April 2011 and is fully operational since then. Presently, he is the centre director of the Satellite Research Centre (SaRC) and the program director (sensor Network) of the Centre for Intelligent Machines. He is also leading a team of research staffs and students developing an advanced nano-satellite pair, the VELOX-I, for remote sensing, satellite constellation and scientific experiment.
Besides teaching and research, he has also been involved in various IEEE technical committees such as the Industrial Applications and Power Electronics chapter serving in various capacities. He has also been serving as a founding member in the management committee of the IEEE Power Electronics and Drive Conference (PEDS), which is a biennial conference since 1995. He has also served as an orgainsing committee member (Technical program chair, local arrangement chair etc) in several conferences such as ICNC'09, ACCV’95, ICARV’96, ICARV’98, ICARV’06, PEDS etc. Dr Low has been a senior member of IEEE since 2000.
|Prof Low has been conducting reserach in the areas of precision Linear Drive, power converter for energy conversion, UWB for Communications and Medical Imaging, Intelligent Control System, and Wireless Sensor Network. He has successfully completed 30 funded projects with many of them from the industry. Presently, he has 7 on-going funded projects in the field of UWB radar, wireless sensor network, micro-satellite system, solar energy system. He has a number of granted patents on UWB and nonlinear circuits from the US patent office, WIPO and EPO.|
|Research Grant |
- Clean Energy Research Programme (2010-2014) [by Economic Development Board (EDB)]
- Defence Science Organisation National Laboratories (2010-2014) [by MINDEF - DSO National Laboratories]
- Defence Science Organisation National Laboratories (2013-2015) [by MINDEF - DSO National Laboratories]
- Defence Science and Technology Agency (2010-2013) [by MINDEF - Defence Science & Technology Agency (DSTA)]
- Defence Science and Technology Agency (2011-2014) [by MINDEF - Defence Science & Technology Agency (DSTA)]
- Economic Development Board (EDB) Grant (2013-2018) [by Economic Development Board (EDB)]
- Maritime Clean Energy Research Programme (MCERP) (2011-) [by Nanyang Technological University, Sembcorp Industries Ltd, Maritime and Port Authority of Singapore (MPA)]
- Satellite, Navigation and Moon Mission Strategic Initiative (Provost’s Office) (2013-2014) [by Nanyang Technological University]
|Current Projects |
- A New CMOS Image Sensor for Satellite Remote Sensing Application
- Building Integrated Photovoltaic Systems
- Distribution Network Control Using Photovoltaic (PV) and Lithium-ion Storage Battery (SB) in Microgrids
- Land-Based Energy Management System (LEMS) Incorporating Renewable Energy Resources and Shore Power Applications
- Low Earth Orbit Pico-Satellite for Experimental Quantum Mechanics
- Nano-satellite Bus Development
- Satellite Sensor, Control and Communication Systems
- Satellite, Navigation and Moon Mission Strategic Initiative
- Tropical Environmental Monitoring Microsatellite & Mission Control Station
- Tropical Environmental Monitoring Satellite
- HL Zhuang, KS Low and WY Yau. (2012). Multi-channel Pulse Coupled Neural Network Based Color Image Segmentation for Object Detection. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, 59(8), 3299-3308.
- GX Lee, KS Low. (2012). Factorized Quaternion Approach to Determine Arm Motions Using Tri-axial Accelerometers with Anatomical and Sensor Constraints. IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, 61(6), 1793 – 1802.
- E.C. Leong, T.T. Nyunt and K.S. Low. (2011). Local Displacement Transducer with Anderson Loop. Geotechnical testing Journal, ASTM, 34(6).
- H.A. Nguyen, H Guo and KS Low. (2011). Real Time Estimation of Sensor Node’s Position Using Particle Swarm Optimization with Log Barrier Constraint. IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, 60(11), 3619-3628.
- H Guo, K S Low, H.A. Nguyen. (2011). Optimizing the Localization of a Wireless Sensor Network in Real Time Based on a Low Cost Micocontroller. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, 58(3), 741-749.