|Academic Profile |
| || |
Prof Ma Kai Kuang
Professor, School of Electrical & Electronic Engineering
Phone: +65 9084 9950
Office: S2 B2C 83
|Professor Kai-Kuang Ma has been with the School of Electrical and Electronic Engineering since 1995; he is currently a full professor in the Division of Information Engineering. Dr. Ma received his B.E. degree (electronic engineering) from Chung Yuan Christian University, Chung-Li, Taiwan, Republic of China, M.S. degree (electrical engineering) from Duke University, Durham, NC, U.S.A., and the Ph.D. degree (electrical engineering) from North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC, U.S.A.
From 1992 to 1995, he was with Institute of Microelectronics (IME) as a Member of Technical Staff, working on digital video coding and the MPEG standards. From 1984 to 1992, he was working in IBM Corporation at Kingston, NY, and then Research Triangle Park, NC, U.S.A., engaging on various DSP and VLSI advanced product development. His research interests are in the areas of digital signal, image and video processing. Prof. Ma has produced more than one hundred publications in well-known international journals, conferences, and MPEG standardization meetings. He holds one USA patent on fast motion estimation algorithm.
He was serving as Singapore MPEG Chairman and Head of Delegation (1997-2001), and his research works on fast motion estimation have been adopted by MPEG-4 standard. He is elected as a Distinguished Lecturer in the IEEE Circuits and Systems Society for a two-year term (2008-2009). He has been serving as Technical Program Chairman or Committee Members in numerous international conferences in his area, including the most well-known flagship conferences, such as ICIP, ICASSP, ISCAS, and so on. Dr. Ma is currently serving as (Associate) Editor or Editorial Board Member of six international journals, including IEEE Transactions on Image Processing (2007~), IEEE Transactions on Communications (1997~), IEEE Transactions on Multimedia (2002~), etc. He is a Senior Member of the IEEE and member of Eta Kappa Nu.
|Digital image/video coding and standards, wavelets and filter banks, image/video processing, denoising, super-resolution, error resilience and concealment, content-based image indexing and retrieval, and scene analysis and recognition.|
- A Vision-based Solution for Egocentric Hand Motion Analysis on Wearable Devices
- Advanced Image Processing Algorithm Development for High-quality Digital Imaging
- Algorithm Research and Development on Super-resolution Image Reconstruction and Registration of Images from Widely Disparate Views
- Deep Reinforcement Learning of Driving Using Virtual Paths
- Digital Watermarking for Real-Time Video-On-Demand (VOD) Distribution.
- Digital video coding and multimedia signal processing
- High Efficiency Video Coding for Defence Applications (Project DURAS)
- High-definition Image Processing Algorithm Development and Quality Assessment
- Intelligent Scene Analysis and Recognition for Mobile Positioning
- Project CAMAR
- Video Object Segmentation
- Meng Dong, Huanqiang Zeng, Jing Chen, Canhui Cai, Kai-Kuang Ma. (2016). Multiple description video coding based on adaptive data reuse. Journal of Visual Communication and Image Representation, 38, Pages 378-385.
- Zhe Wei, Kai-Kuang Ma. (2013). Contrast-guided Image Interpolation. IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, .
- Z. Wei, K.-K. Ma, and C. Cai,. (2012). Prediction-compensated Polyphase Multiple Description Image Coding With Adaptive Redundancy Control. IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, 22(3), 465 - 478.
- Z. Wei and K.-K. Ma. (2010). Edge-contrast-guided Image Interpolation Using Directional Variation Field Diffusion. International Conference on Image Processing.
- Jing Tian and Kai-Kuang Ma. (2009). A state-space super-resolution approach for video reconstruction. Signal, Image and Video Processing, 3(3), 217-242.