|Academic Profile |
| || |
Assoc Prof Ng Geok Ing
Director, Silicon Technologies, Centre of Excellence
School of Electrical & Electronic Engineering
College of Engineering
Phone: (+65)6790 5013
- PhD University of Michigan 1990
- MSE University of Michigan 1986
- BSE University of Michigan 1984
|NG Geok Ing received his Ph.D degree in electrical engineering from the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor in 1990. From 1991 to 1993, he was a Research Fellow at the Centre for Space Terahertz Technology in the University of Michigan, working on microwave/ millimeter-wave semiconductor devices and MMICs. In 1993, he joined TRW Inc. in Space Park, California as a Senior Member of Technical Staff engaging in the R&D work on GaAs and InP-based HEMTs for high frequency low-noise and power MMIC applications. |
In 1995, he joined the Nanyang Technological University (NTU) Singapore in the School of EEE. In 1996, he was seconded to be the Programme Manager for the III-V MMICs Programme at the Microelectronics Centre in NTU to spearhead the Monolithic Microwave Integrated Circuit (MMIC) development effort in Singapore. From 2001 to 2004, he co-founded DenseLight Semiconductors Pte. Ltd., a NTU spin-off company. From 2005 to 2009, he was appointed as the Founding Programme Manager for the MMIC Design Centre at the Temasek Laboratories@NTU (TL@NTU). Fom 2010 to 2014, he was the Head of the Microelectronics Division in the School of EEE. Since 2013, he is the Cluster Head of the Microsystems Technology Development Centre (MTDC) at TL@NTU. Concurrently, he is also the Founding Director of the S$30M Silicon Technologies Centre of Excellence (Si COE) jointly established by the Science and Engineering Research Council (SERC) and NTU in 2012.
His current research specializations include (1) Gallium Nitride (GaN) High-Electron-Mobility Transistors (HEMTs) on silicon substrates, and (2) III-V compound semiconductor devices for high-frequency and Monolithic Microwave Integrated Circuit (MMIC) applications . He has authored and co-authored more than 290 international journal and conference papers and delivered plenary and invited talks at several international conferences. He holds two granted patents and 5 filed patents. He is the PI and Co-PI of 48 externally-funded research projects with a total grant of ~S$50M since 1995 till present. Currently, he is the Editorial Board Member of the open access journal Electronics. He is the Co-General Chair and member of the Steering Committee of the 2019 Electron Devices Technology and Manufacturing (EDTM). Currently, he also serves as the technical consultant of IGSS GaN Pte. Ltd.
In 1990, he was awarded the European Microwave Prize for his work on InP-based heterostructure monolithic amplifiers. In 1994, he received the TRW Roll of Honor award on the Independent R&D project on Millimeter-Wave Power Devices. In 2007, he was awarded the prestigious Singapore’s Defense Technology Prize for his outstanding technological contributions in MMIC R&D.
|Current research interests include (1) Gallium Nitride (GaN) High-Electron-Mobility Transistors (HEMTs) on silicon substrates, and (2) III-V compound semiconductor devices for high-frequency and Monolithic Microwave Integrated Circuit (MMIC) applications .|
- A Failure Mode Studies on GaN Transistors
- Admission year: Jan 2014
- Co-Funding- Centre of Excellence For Silicon Technologies (COE-SI)
- Development of GaN MISHEMT
- Development on Monolith Microwave Integrated Circuits
- High Efficiency GaN HEMTs on Si at Low Voltage Operation
- III-N Semiconductor Based HEMT Process for Power Switching Devices
- Joint Industry Postgraduate (JIP) II Programme for MEng students
- Joint Industry Postgraduate (JIP) II Programme for PhD students
- MMIC Design Centre
- Mm-Wave GaN MIS-HEMTs on Si
- Nano-Scale Complementary Metal Oxide Semiconductor Device and Process Technology
- Nano-scale complementary metal oxide semiconductor device and process
- Next Generation Mass Manufacturing Thermal-Interface-Materials (TIMs) in 3D-C and 3D-BN
- Plasma Assisted Synthesis of Strongly Doped Crystalline Diamond
- Process Development of Gold Deposition and Via Plating on Ceramic Substrate
- Project AMBERT
- Project GaN Growth
- SMA Graduate Fellowship Research Supplement -Xing Weichuan
- Weichuan Xing, Zhihong Liu, Haodong Qiu, Kumud Ranjan, Yu Gao, Geok Ing Ng and Tomas Palacios. (2018). InAlN/GaN HEMTs on Si with high fT of 250 GHz. IEEE Electron Device Letters, 39(1), 75-78.
- Weichuan Xing, Zhihong Liu, Haodong Qiu, Geok Ing Ng, Tomás Palacios. (2017). Planar-Nanostrip-Channel InAlN/GaN HEMTs on Si With Improved gm and fT Linearity. IEEE Electron Device Letters, 38(5), 619-622.
- S. Arulkumaran, G. I. Ng, K. Ranjan, C. M. Manoj Kumar, S. C. Foo, K. S. Ang, S. Vicknesh, S. B. Dolmanan and S. Tripathy. (2015). Record Low Contact Resistance for InAlN/GaN HEMTs on Si with Non-Gold metal. Japanese Journal of Applied Physics, .
- S. Arulkumaran, G. I. Ng, C. M. Manojkumar, K. Ranjan, K. L. Teo, O. F. Shoron, S. Rajan, S. B. Dolmanan and S. Tripathy. (2014). In0.17Al0.83N/AlN/GaN Triple T-shape Fin-HEMTs with gm=646 mS/mm, Ion=1.03 A/mm, Ioff=1.13 µA/mm, SS=82 mV/dec and DIBL=28 mV/V at VD=0.5 V. International Electron Devices Meeting. IEDM (Year), , 594.
- S. Tripathy, Vivian K. X. Lin, S. B. Dolmanan, Joyce P. Y. Tan, R. S. Kajen,L. K. Bera, S. L. Teo, M. Krishna Kumar, S. Arulkumaran, G. I. Ng, S. Vicknesh, Shane Todd, W. Z. Wang, G. Q. Lo, H. Li,, D. Lee, and S. Han. (2012). AlGaN/GaN two-dimensional –electron-gas heterostructure on 200mm diameter Si(111). Applied Physics Letters, .