|Asst Prof Chen Shoushun|
Division of Circuits & Systems
School of Electrical & Electronic Engineering
College of Engineering
Phone: (+65)6790 6085
- PhD (Elect Engrg) Hong Kong Univ of Science & Technology 2007
- MEng (Microelectronics) Chinese Academy of Sciences 2003
- BSc (Microelectronics) Peking University 2000
|Dr. Shoushun Chen received his B.S. degree from Peking University, M.E. degree from Chinese Academy of Sciences and Ph.D degree from Hong Kong University of Science and Technology in 2000, 2003 and 2007, respectively. He held a post-doctoral research fellowship in the Department of Electronic & Computer Engineering, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology for one year after graduation. From February 2008 to May 2009 he was a post-doctoral research associate within the Department of Electrical Engineering, Yale University. In July 2009, he joined Nanyang Technological University as an assistant professor.|
Before joining NTU, Dr. Chen had been actively involved in a number of research projects related to VLSI implementation of microprocessor, circuits and systems design for vision sensor, algorithmic design for image processing. In Chinese Academy of Sciences, Dr. Chen was a key backend designer of "Loongson-1"(龙芯一号) CPU which is the first general purpose CPU designed in China. In Hong Kong, his research was mainly related to design and VLSI implementation of ultra-low power and wide dynamic range CMOS image sensors using time encoding techniques and asynchronous readout strategies. At Yale, he proposed a bio-inspired human posture recognition algorithm and his work was toward a combination of smart vision sensors and energy-efficient algorithm.
Dr. Chen is a member of IEEE. He serves as a technical committee member of Sensory Systems, IEEE Circuits and Systems Society (CASS); Associate Editor of IEEE Sensors Journal; Associate Editor of Journal of Low Power Electronics and Applications; Program Director (Smart Sensors) of VIRTUS, IC Design Centre of Excellence; Regular reviewer for a number of international conferences and journals such as TVLSI, TCAS-I/II, TBioCAS, TPAMI, Sensors, TCSVT, etc.
|Smart vision sensors, motion detection sensors, energy-efficient algorithms for bio-inspired vision, analog/mixed-signal VLSI circuits and systems|
|Research Grant |
- Academic Research Fund Tier 1 (2010-2013) [by Nanyang Technological University]
- Academic Research Fund Tier 1 (2011-2014) [by Nanyang Technological University]
- Academic Research Fund Tier 2 (2013-2016) [by Ministry of Education (MOE)]
- Defence Science and Technology Agency (2011-2014) [by MINDEF - Defence Science & Technology Agency (DSTA)]
- Economic Development Board (EDB) Grant (2013-2018) [by Economic Development Board (EDB)]
- MINDEF-NTU Joint Applied R&D Co-operation Programme (JPP) (2011-2013) [by Nanyang Technological University, Ministry of Defense (MINDEF)]
- NTU Internal Funding - EEE (2012-2013) [by School of Electrical and Electronic Engineering]
|Current Projects |
- 65nm CMOS Standard-Cell Library for Harsh Environment
- A Floating-gate Based Sub-threshold, Low-power, Reconfigurable Neural Processor with Applications to Visual Attention, Recognition and Tracking
- A New CMOS Image Sensor for Satellite Remote Sensing Application
- A Self-powered CMOS Image Sensor with on-chip Motion Detection for Surveillance and Assisted-living Applications
- NeuroVision: A Compact Real-Time Synethetic Vision System in Neuromorphic Circuits
- Towards Reality of Integrated 3D Imaging and Display
- Towards “3D” Nanoscope With Super Spatial Resolution
- Tropical Environmental Monitoring Satellite
- Bo Zhao, Xiangyu Zhang, Shoushun Chen, Kay Soon Low, Hualiang Zhuang. (2012). A 64 x 64 CMOS Image Sensor with On-chip Moving Object Detection and Localization. IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, 22(4), 581-588.
- Shoushun Chen, Polina Akselrod, Bo Zhao, Jose Antonio Perez Carrasco, Bernabe Linares-Barranco, Eugenio Culurciello. (2012). Efficient feedforward categorization of objects and human postures with address-event image sensors. IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, 34(2), 302-314.
- Shoushun Chen, Wei Tang, Xiangyu Zhang, Eugenio Culurciello. (2011). A 64x64 Pixels UWB Wireless Temporal-Difference Digital Image Sensor. IEEE Transactions on Very Large Scale Integration (VLSI) Systems, .
- Myat Thu Linn Aung, Anh Tuan Do, Shoushun Chen and Yeo Kiat Seng,. (2011). 2011 IEEE/IFIP 19th International Conference on VLSI and System-on-Chip, VLSI-SoC 2011, Kowloon, Hong Kong,: Adaptive Priority Toggle Asynchronous Tree Arbiter for AER-based Image Sensor. 19th IFIP/IEEE International Conference on Very Large Scale Integration (VLSI-SoC) (pp. 66-71).
- Bo Zhao, Xiangyu Zhang and Shoushun Chen. (2011). 2011 IEEE CUSTOM INTEGRATED CIRCUITS CONFERENCE (CICC): A CMOS Image Sensor with on-chip Motion Detection and Object Localization. 33rd IEEE Annual Custom Integrated Circuits Conference (CICC), San Jose, CA.