|Assoc Prof Tan Cher Ming|
Division of Circuits & Systems
School of Electrical & Electronic Engineering
College of Engineering
Phone: (+65)6790 4567
- PhD University of Toronto 1992
- MASc University of Toronto 1987
- BEng(Hons) National University of Singapore 1984
|Dr. Tan received his Ph.D in Electrical Engineering from the University of Toronto in 1992. He has 10 years of working experiences in reliability in electronic industry (both Singapore and Taiwan) before joining Nanyang Technological University (NTU) as faculty member in 1996. He has published more than 200 International Journal and Conference papers, and holding 8 patents and 1 copyright for reliability software. He has written 2 books and 3 book chapters in the field of reliability. He is the past chair of IEEE Singapore Section, senior member of IEEE and ASQ, Distinguish Lecturer of IEEE Electronic Device Society on reliability, Founding Chair of IEEE Nanotechnology Chapter - Singapore Section, senior member of American Society of Quality, Fellow of Institute of Engineers, Singapore, Fellow of Singapore Quality Institute, Executive Council member of Singapore Quality Institute, Director of SIMTech-NTU Reliability Lab, and Senior Scientist in SIMTech. He is also the Founding Chair of IEEE International Conference on Nanoelectronics, General Co-Chair of International Symposium of Integrated Circuits 2007 and 2009. He is also the Associated Editor of International Journal on Computing, and Guest Editor of International J. of Nanotechnology, Nano-research letter and Microelectronic Reliability. He is in the reviewer board of several International Journals such as Thin Solid Film, Microelectronic Reliability, Microelectronic Engineering etc. He is listed in Marquis Who’s Who in Engineering and Who’s Who in the world. He is also current active in providing consultation to multi-national corporations on reliability.|
His research interests include reliability and failure physics modeling of electronic components and systems, finite element modeling of materials degradation, statistical modeling of engineering systems, nano-materials and devices reliability, PHM of engineering system, low temperature wafer bonding, and energy harvesting. He was the first consultant for Vestas Wind Turbine on maintainability in Singapore, and he involved in various industrial projects such as Rockwell Automation on Design-in Reliability, IBM on supplier reliability evaluation and Land Transport Authority of Singapore on card reader system in public buses. He is currently leading a large project on the design-in reliability and reliability evaluation of battery pack for electric vehicle under Singapore National Research Foundation in corporation with Technical University of Munich, Germany, and another large project on reliability evaluation of remanufactured parts under A*Star, Singapore.
|Reliability physics; Reliability statistics; maintainability; failure analysis; quality engineering; wafer bonding; power electronics, nano-technology, energy harvesting; solid state lighting|
|Research Grant |
- A*SERC Innovations in Remanufacturing Programme (2011-2014) [by A*STAR Science & Engineering Research Council (SERC)]
- Economic Development Board (EDB) Grant (2012-2016) [by Systems on Silicon Manufacturing Co Pte Ltd (SSMC), Economic Development Board (EDB)]
- NRF CREATE (2012-2016) [by National Research Foundation (NRF)]
- SIMTech-NTU (2012-2017) [by A*STAR Singapore Institute of Manufacturing Technology (SIMTech)]
- State Key Lab of Advanced Welding & Joining, Harbin Institute of Technology (2012-2013) [by State Key Lab of Advanced Welding & Joining, Harbin Institute of Technology]
|Current Projects |
- Gear Life Cycle Reliability and Fatigue Damage Assessments for Remanufacturing
- In-Situ Reliability Assessment of Remanufactured Parts Operating at Elevated Temperature
- Joint Industry Postgraduate (JIP) II Programme
- Plasma Ion Modification on Carbon Nanotube and Its Application as Vacuum Sensor
- RP6: Energy Storage Engineering
- SIMTech-NTU Collaborative Joint Lab (Reliability)- Conference Travel
- Smart Cells for Embedded Battery Management in Electric Vehicles
- Tan Cher Ming. (2009). Reliability Assessment of Integrated Circuits and its MisconceptionIntegrated Circuits, Photodiodes and Organic Field Effect Transistors. (pp. 45-68)..
- Cher Ming Tan, Lina Sun, Chase Wang. (2009, May). Going Green for Discrete Power Diode Manufacturing. Paper presented at IEEE ICIEA2009, Xi'an, China.
- Cher Ming Tan, Nagarajan Raghavan. (2009). Reply to Comments on "A framework to practical predictive maintenance modeling for multi-state systems. Reliability Engineering & System Safety, 94(3), 781-782.
- Li Wei, Cher Ming Tan, Nagarajan Raghavan. (2009). Dynamic simulation of void nucleation during electromigration in narrow integrated circuit interconnects. Journal of Applied Physics, 105(1), 014305.
- Cher Ming Tan and Yong Liu. (2008). Finite element modeling of Electromigration in ULSI Interconnections and in solder bumpings of a package system. IEEE International Electronic Packaging and Technology Conference.