|Academic Profile |
| || |
Assoc Prof Cheah Chien Chern
School of Electrical & Electronic Engineering
College of Engineering
Phone: (+65)6790 5385
- PhD Nanyang Technological University 1996
- MEng Nanyang Technological University 1993
- BEng(Elec)(Hons) National University of Singapore 1990
|Chien Chern CHEAH was born in Singapore. He received B.E. degree in Electrical Engineering from National University of Singapore in 1990, M.E. and Ph.D. degrees in Electrical Engineering, both from Nanyang Technological University, Singapore, in 1993 and 1996, respectively.
From 1990 to 1991, he worked as a design engineer in Chartered Electronics Industries, Singapore . He was a research fellow in the Department of Robotics, Ritsumeikan University , Japan from 1996 to 1998. He joined the School of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Nanyang Technological University as an assistant professor in 1998. Since 2003, he has been an associate professor in Nanyang Technological University . In November 2002, he received the oversea attachment fellowship from the Agency for Science, Technology and Research (A*STAR), Singapore to visit the Nonlinear Systems laboratory, Massachusetts Institute of Technology .
He serves as an associate editor for Automatica and an editorial board member for Robotics and Biomimetics. He has served as an associate editor for IEEE Transactions on Robotics from 2010 to 2013 and Asian Journal of Control from 2009 to 2013. He was a guest editor of the special issue on vision based control of the Asian Journal of Control. He serves as a member of the Conference Editorial Board of the IEEE Robotics and Automation Society. He was the program chair of the International Conference on Control, Automation, Robotics and Vision (ICARCV) in 2012 and 2006, and the program co-chair of IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Biomimetics (ROBIO) 2009. He served as a member of the Best Conference Paper Award Committee of IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA) 2011, a member the Best Manipulation Paper Award Committee of IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA) 2009, and the Best Paper Award Chair of IEEE Conference on Robotics, Automation and Mechatronics 2008.
Visual Servo Control
Adaptive and learning control
- A*STAR – NHG – NTU Rehabilitation Research Grant (2017-) [by A*STAR/NHG/NTU]
- CoE Proposal Preparatory Grant (2016-) [by Nanyang Technological University]
- Device-free Passive Tracking and Fall Detection for Home Based Rehabilitation
- PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT: Scientific Frameworks and Enabling Technologies for Robot-mediated Home Rehabilitation
- Zhang J.J. and Cheah C.C. (2015). Passivity and Stability of Human-Robot Interaction Control for Upper-limb Rehabilitation Robots. IEEE Transactions on Robotics, 31(2), 233-245.
- C. C. Cheah, X. Li, X. Yan and D. Sun. (2014). Observer Based Optical Manipulation of Biological Cells with Robotic Tweezers. IEEE Transactions on Robotics, 30(1), 68-80.
- C.C. Cheah, D.Q. Wang and Y.C. Sun. (2007). Region Reaching Control of Robots. IEEE Transactions on Robotics, 23(6), 1260-1264.
- C. C. Cheah, C. Liu, J.J.E. Slotine. (2006). Adaptive Tracking Control for Robots with Unknown Kinematic and Dynamic Properties. International Journal of Robotics Research, 25(3), 283-296.
- C.C. Cheah, M. Hirano, S. Kawamura, and S. Arimoto. (2003). Approximate Jacobian Control for Robots with Uncertain Kinematics and Dynamics. IEEE Transactions on Robotics and Automation, 19(4), 692-702.