|Assoc Prof Arokiaswami Alphones |
Division of Communication Engineering
School of Electrical & Electronic Engineering
College of Engineering
Phone: (+65)6790 4486
- PhD Kyoto Institute of Technology 1992
- MTech Indian Inst of Technology, Kharagpur 1984
- BTech(Hons) Anna University 1982
- BSc University of Madras 1979
|A Alphones (S’82-M’88-SM’98) received his B.Tech. from Madras Institute of Technology in 1982, M.Tech. from Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur in 1984 and Ph.D. degree in Optically Controlled Millimeter wave Circuits from Kyoto Institute of Technology (Japan) in 1992. He was a JSPS visiting fellow from 1996-97 at Japan. During 1997-2001, he was with Centre for Wireless Communications, National University of Singapore as Senior Member of Technical Staff, involved in the research on optically controlled passive/active devices. Since 2001, he is Associate Professor at the School of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore. He is also Program Director of Optical Fibre Technology in OPTIMUS centre and Program Director of MSc Communication Engineering. He has more than 27 years of research experience. He is in the editorial review board of IEEE Microwave Theory and Techniques and Microwave and Wireless Components Letters. He has published and presented over 200 technical papers in International Journals/ Conferences. His current interests are electro-magnetic analysis on planar RF circuits and integrated optics, metamaterials, microwave photonics, and hybrid fiber-radio systems. His research work has been cited in the book “Millimeter Wave and Optical Integrated Guides and Circuits”, Wiley Interscience publication. He has delivered tutorials and short courses in international conferences. He had written a chapter on “Microwave Measurements and Instrumentation” in Wiley Encyclopedia of Electrical and Electronic Engineering 2002, and a chapter on “Optically Controlled Phased Array Antennas for UWB RFID Reader” in Wiley’s Handbook of Smart Antennas and RFID Systems in 2010. He is a Senior Member of IEEE. He was involved with the organization of APMC’99, ICCS 2000, ICICS 2003, PIERS 2003, IWAT 2005, ISAP 2006, ICICS 2007, ICOCN 2008, APMC 2009, MWP 2011 and RFIT 2012 conferences.|
|His current interests are electro-magnetic analysis on planar RF circuits and integrated optics, metamaterials, Periodic structures, microwave photonics, and hybrid fiber-radio systems.|
- K Agarwal, YX Guo, Nasimuddin and A Alphones. (2013). Dual band Circularly Polarized Stacked Microstrip Antenna over RIS for GPS Applications. International Wireless Sysmposium 2013Beijing: IEEE.
- K Agarwal, Nasimuddin and A Alphones. (2013). Wideband Circularly Polarized AMC Reflector Backed Aperture Antenna. IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, 61(3), 1456-1461.
- K Agarwal, N Nasimuddin and A Alphones. (2013). RIS based Compact Circularly Polarized Microstrip Antennas. IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, 61(2), 547-554.
- A Alphones, SK Ting, LC Ong, S Arulkumaran, SP Yeo and GI Ing. (2012). APMC 2012: Microwave Research Activities in Singapore. Asia Pacific Microwave Conference 2012Taiwan: IEEE.
- K Agarwal, N Nasimuddin and A Alphones. (2012). Compact Asymmetric Slotted Slit Patch based Circularly Polarized Antenna with RIS Substrate. Microwave And Optical Technology Letters, 54(11), 2505-2510.