|Assoc Prof Xu Dong|
Division of Visual & Interactive Computing
School of Computer Engineering
College of Engineering
Phone: (+65)6790 4166
- PhD University of Science & Tech of China 2005
- BEng University of Science & Tech of China 2001
|Dong Xu is currently an assistant professor at Nanyang Technological University in Singapore. He received the B.Eng. and PhD degrees from the Electronic Engineering and Information Science Department, University of Science and Technology of China, in 2001 and 2005, respectively. During his PhD study, he worked at Microsoft Research Asia and The Chinese University of Hong Kong for more than two years. He also worked at Columbia University for one year as a postdoctoral research scientist. His research focuses on new theories, algorithms and systems for intelligent processing and understanding of visual data such as images and videos.
He has published more than 35 papers in top venues including T-PAMI, T-IP, T-CSVT, CVPR, ACM MM, ICML, and IJCAI. His publications have been cited in Google Scholar more than 800 times, and his H-Index in Google Scholar is 15. Since 2008, he has received over S$2.8M in research grant funding, from Singapore National Research Foundation (NRF), A*STAR, Ministry of Education (MOE), and Microsoft Research Asia (MSRA). Ph.D. students in his research group were awarded the prestigious MSRA Fellowship Awards in 2008 and 2009.
He is an associate editor of Neurocomputing (Elsevier) and he is an editorial board member of Journal of Multimedia (Academy). He has served as the guest editors of three special issues on video and event analysis in T-CSVT, CVIU and PRL. He has also served as the workshop co-chair of The ACM SIGMM Workshop on Social Media and The IEEE ICME Workshop on Visual Content Identification and Search, a Track Chair of ICME 2009, and a Theme Chair of PSIVT 2009
|Dr. Dong Xu's areas of expertise are Computer Vision, Pattern Recognition, Statistical Learning and Multimedia Content Analysis. His current research works focus on human gait recognition and event recognition in news video.|
|Research Grant |
- A*STAR Biomedical Research Council (2012-)
- A*STAR Biomedical Research Council (2012-) [by A*STAR Science and Engineering Institutes (SCEI)]
- Academic Research Fund Tier 2 (2013-)
- Rolls-Royce PIc (2013-2014)
|Current Projects |
- Active Metric Re-ranking for Web Image Search
- Automatic Video Tagging by Learning from Web Data
- Bessel Beam Imaging of the Irido-Corneal Angle with Overlay of Fluorescence Emission Distribution
- Bessel Beam Imaging of the Iridocorneal Angle with overlay of fluorescence emission distribution
- Featuren Extraction and Image Classification Techniques-Survey and Evaluation
- Human Gait Recognition with Statistical Learning
- Next Generation Annotation Techniques for Consumer Photos and Videos
- Rapid Rich Object Search (ROSE) Lab
- Visual Event Recognition in News Video
- Yiming Liu*, Dong Xu, Ivor W. Tsang, Jiebo Luo. (2011). Textual Query of Personal Photos Facilitated by Large-scale Web Data. IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, 33(5), 1022-1036.
- D. Xu, S. Yan, S. Lin, Thomas Huang and Shih-Fu Chang. (2009). Enhancing Bilinear Subspace Learning by Element Rearrangement. IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, 31(10), 1913-1920.
- D. Xu and Shih-Fu Chang. (2008). Video Event Recognition using Kernel Methods with Multi-Level Temporal Alignment. IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, 30(11), 1985-1997.
- S. Yan, Xu Dong, B. Zhang, H. Zhang, Q. Yang, S. Lin. (2007). Graph Embedding and Extensions: A General Framework for Dimensionality Reduction. IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, 29(1), 40-51.