|Assoc Prof Sun Delai, Darren|
Fellow, Renaissance Engineering Programme
Division of Environmental and Water Resources Engineering
School of Civil and Environmental Engineering
College of Engineering
Phone: (+65)6790 6273
- PhD University of New South Wales 1993
- MSc University of New South Wales 1990
- GradDipChemEng Shanghai Institute of Chemical Technol 1982
|Darren obtained his PhD degree in Chemical Engineering from The University of New South Wales, Australia. He has research interests in the field of membrane water and wastewater treatment, water reclamation and heavy metals stabilization, particularly in applying physical and chemical principles for fundamental research. Recently he is heavily engaged in the study of novel membrane technologies for water and energy production including hybrid membrane bioreactor, membrane coagulation system and TiO2 based nano-structured/fiber/tube membrane. Externally, Darren holds visiting Professorship at Shandong University, PR China. He is a Chair for International Water Associate (IWA) Specialist Group on Chemical Industries and Associate Editor for Water Science and Technology.|
|- TiO2 nanofibe/tube membrane for water and energy (H2 and solar cell) production
- Membrane fouling mechanism, control and prevention
- Multifunctional membrane module design
- Membrane bioreactor design
- Composite membranes and membrane modules for environmental applications
- Biofilms grown on liquid-permeable membranes
- Reutilization of waste into value-added product.
|Research Grant |
- Environment & Water Industry Development Council (2008-) [by National Research Foundation (NRF)]
- Environment & Water Industry Development Council (2012-) [by Environment & Water Industry Development Council (EWI)]
- Maritime Clean Energy Research Programme (MCERP) (2012-) [by Nanyang Technological University, Maritime and Port Authority of Singapore (MPA), Vac-Tech Engineering Pte Ltd]
- Maritime Clean Energy Research Programme (MCERP) (2013-) [by Energy Research Institute @NTU (ERIAN), Maritime and Port Authority of Singapore (MPA)]
- Maritime and Port Authority of Singapore - NTU (2008-) [by Maritime and Port Authority of Singapore (MPA)]
- Maritime and Port Authority of Singapore - NTU (2010-) [by Maritime and Port Authority of Singapore (MPA)]
- Maritime and Port Authority of Singapore - NTU (2011-)
- Maritime and Port Authority of Singapore - NTU (2011-) [by Maritime and Port Authority of Singapore (MPA)]
- Maritime and Port Authority of Singapore - NTU (2013-) [by Maritime and Port Authority of Singapore (MPA)]
- NTU Internal Funding - New Initiative Funding (2011-)
- ST Kinetics Grant (2010-) [by ST Kinetics Ltd]
|Current Projects |
- Assembling Of Multifunctional TIO2 Nanofiber Membrane For Water Treatment
- Commercialisation of Steel-Making By-Products for Road Pavements
- Conversion of CO2 to Renewable Energy Using Highly Ordered Titanate Dioxide Nanotube Array (HOT-DNA) Membrane for the Mitigation of Marina Vessel Emission
- Converting Sludge from Waterworks into Value-Added Products using Frontier Recrystalization Technology
- Converting dredged and excavated marine clay into hierarchically structured land reclamation material using re-stabilization technology
- Derived Bunker Fuel From Waste Oil Sludge
- Design and Development of Direct Method of Collecting Oil Spills
- Development and Evaluation of Novel TIO2 Nanofiber Membrane for the Removal of Marine Micro-Organisms
- Development of Flexible Dye Sensitized Solar Cells for Commercial Application
- Feasibility study of integrating flexible dye sensitized solar cells (DSSC) into flexible sheets for UAV applications
- Large Scale Design-based Functional Nanomaterials and Heterostructures: Aim for Sustainability
- Nano Composite Adsorbent for Spilled Oil Recovery - Phase 1
- Nano Composite Adsorbent for Spilled Oil Recovery - Phase 2
- Nanomaterials and Membrane Research.
- Nanostructured Photocatalyst for Membrane Fouling Control.
- Novel silver nanoparticle/Multi-walled carbon nanotube nanohybrid coating for disinfection and biofouling control in drinking water treatment
- Pre-Processing Marine Clay for Direct Land Reclamation
- TiO2 Based Solar Panel For Maritime and Port Applications
- Water and Energy Audit at Singapore Refining Company with Demonstration of Chosen Technology in 50m3/day Pilot Plant
- Zhang Xiwang, Alan Jianhong Du, Peifung Lee, Darren Delai Sun, James O Leckie. (2008). TiO2 nanowire membrane for concurrent filtration and photocatalytic oxidation of humic acid in water. Journal of Membrane Science, 313(1-2), 44-51.
- Khor, S.L., Sun, D.D., Liu, Y.J. and Leckie, J.O. (2007). Biofouling development and rejection enhancement in long SRT MF membrane bioreactor. Process Biochemistry, .
- Sun, Darren Delai and Wu, Ming. (2007). Recycling and Reuse of High Purity Water from Semiconductor Integrated Circuits Manufacturing ProcessesTrends in Conservation and Recycling of Resources. United States: Nova Science Publishers, Inc.
- Liu, ZY, Sun, DD, Peng G and Leckie JO. (2007). One-step Fabrication of High Photocatalytic Activity and Porous TiO2 Hollow Microspherical Photocatalysts by a Low-temperature Hydrothermal Method Without Template. Chemistry-A Europe Journal, 13, 1851-1855.
- Ng, CA, Sun, DD and Fane, AG. (2006). Operation of Membrane Bioreactor with Powdered Activated Carbon Addition. Separation Science and Technology, 41(7), 1447-1466.