|Assoc Prof Liu Yu |
Associate Chair (Research), School of Civil and Environmental Engineering
Co-Director, Advanced Environmental Biotechnology Centre
Division of Environmental and Water Resources Engineering
School of Civil and Environmental Engineering
College of Engineering
- PhD National Institute of Applied Sciences 1994
- MEng National Institute of Applied Sciences 1990
- BE Beijing Institute Light Industry 1987
|Dr Liu Yu is currently Associate Professor in the School of CEE. He received his Master and Ph.D. degrees from the Institut National des Sciences Appliquees-Toulouse, France. His research interests include biogranulation, biofilms and biological nutrient removal. Together with other three CEE colleagues, he received the Singapore National Technology Award in 2003, and he has published over 110 SCI-tracked journal papers and 5 books. He has been invited as a reviewer for about 40 internatinal journals including almost all top journals in the fields of environmental biotechnology and engineering.|
|Dr. Liu has about 20 years of experience in environmental biotechnology, and has the interests in biological nutrient removal, biogranulation and biofilm technology, molecular mechanism and cellular signaling of biogranulation, granular sludge membrane bioreactor, enhanced anaerobic process for low-strength organic wastewater treatment and integrated approach for water reclamation.|
|Research Grant |
- Academic Research Fund Tier 1 (2009-) [by Ministry of Education (MOE)]
- NEA Environment Technology Research Programme (2012-) [by National Environmental Agency (NEA)]
|Current Projects |
- Cellular Communication Mechanism Of Aerobic Granulation
- Development of A High Performance Submerged Aerobic Granular Sludge MBR System - Phase 1
- Development of Novel Biorefineries with Food Waste & Substrate
- Integration of Novel Forward Osmosis Membranes and Optimized Bioprocess for Water Reclamation
- MBR Process Modeling And Optimization: Case Study of Ulu Pandan Water Reclamation Plant With Future Scale-Up Considerations
- Optimization of an UASB-Aerobic Ceramic membrane Bioreactor System for Wastewater Treatment
- WATER AND ENERGY IN THE URBAN WATER CYCLE - IMPROVING ENERGY EFFICIENCY IN MUNICIPAL WASTEWATER TREATMENT (NEWRI Proj)
- Shujuan Meng, Harvey Winters, A.G. Fane, Yu Liu, M. Rzechowicz. (2013). Transparent Exopolymer Particles (TEP) and Their Potential Effect on Membrane Biofouling. Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, .
- Maszenan, AM, Y Liu and WJ Ng. (2011). Bioremediation of wastewaters with recalcitrant organic compounds and metals by aerobic granules. Biotechnology Advances, 29, 111-123.
- Jinsong Zhang, Jiti Zhou, Yu Liu , Anthony G. Fane. (2010). A comparison of membrane fouling under constant and variable organic loadings in Submerge Membrane Bioreactors. Water Research, revised.
- W. C. L. Lay, T. H. Chong, C. Y. Tang, A. G. Fane, J. Zhang, and Y. Liu. (2010). Fouling propensity of Forward Osmosis: investigation of the slower flux decline phenomenon. Water Science & Technology, 61, 927-936.
- Liu S.Q., Liu Y., Show K.Y., Tay J.H. (2009). Toxicity effect of phenol on aerobic granules. Environmental Technology, 30, 69-74.